Clam or Frabil

walleyejack

I am sure this has been asked many times,Clam or Frabill flipover 2 man.No Frabill dealers in the GTA i can find,only Bass Pro.Any opinions on which is better would be appreciate it.Have read Clam has bolt problems,not a big deal go to Princess Auto and buy a few handfulls,if that is the only issue,I think Clam has heavier material,but don t know if they cut back on that also.

Anyone know whos selling the HT flips?

I had one and would like to buy another. I found that thier fabric was better/stronger then the frabil. JMO

Nice one man hut Dave. :sarcasm:

I know Angling Outfitters in Woodstock where selling HT last year,not sure about this year,but i would assume so.

Anyone know whos selling the HT flips?

I had one and would like to buy another. I found that thier fabric was better/stronger then the frabil. JMO

Nice one man hut Dave. :sarcasm:

Definitely a real heavy fabric compared to Clam or Frabill Brian. I have a, basically new, PE-1 (one man) in the hangar if you're interested.

As for Clam / Frabill Al... tamato.. tomato... Both have about the same density fabric. I like the way my Frabil sits as a wind break and I can put various center poles in to make it overhang as a rain/snow shelter roof, yet still have it open to the elements. Terry and Lloyd's clams don't seem to do this.. but maybe they just don't bring the poles or bother to set them up the way I like mine. The bigger Clams like the Yukon have a deeper tobogan than my Frabill Trekker. I think it just comes right down to the personal touches on what you like seat wise, colour, tobogan depth etc.

Edited by irishfield

Definitely a real heavy fabric compared to Clam or Frabill Brian. I have a, basically new, PE-1 (one man) in the hangar if you're interested.

As for Clam / Frabill Al... tamato.. tomato... Both have about the same density fabric. I like the way my Frabil sits as a wind break and I can put various center poles in to make it overhang as a rain/snow shelter roof, yet still have it open to the elements. Terry and Lloyd's clams don't seem to do this.. but maybe they just don't bring the poles or bother to set them up the way I like mine. The bigger Clams like the Yukon have a deeper tobogan than my Frabill Trekker. I think it just comes right down to the personal touches on what you like seat wise, colour, tobogan depth etc.

I was searching their website for dealer locations,nothing comes up in Ontario,Bass pro has the predtor,don t want to spend that much.Maybe i call them tomorrow and see where their Ont.dealers are. Checked out the Otters,nice but about 150 more for the Wild,which is a little cheaper model,and the ice cabin is 300 more,not doing that, or ill be living in it full time, hey that might not be a bad idea :whistling:

As for a Frabill dealer Al.. I'm sure I saw them in LeBaron's catalogue.. Jackie Chan ( 2jack2 ) told me Bass Pro can get the trekker in for $399.. Canadian Tire sells the Trekker but it's $499 there.

I did the Canadian tire thing today,they don t carry them,checked out Lebarons catalogue yesterday,only had HT I believe they were,and some Clams that were a little more $ than Gagnons even,will have to call.Maybe Bass Pro would order in,they don t stock the Trecker,is it a 2 man Wayne ? with paded swivel seats that are mounted to the sled ?

Edited by walleyejack

Yes the trekker is a 2 man and there have been various seats. Some got ripped off for camp chairs.. mine has seats with a fold down back rest that slide along the tobogan edge... BUT they do NOT swivel.

They have one in stock in the Midland store according to the computer. It's been there since spring when I was hoping they'd have their usual 50% off sale and of course they didn't! :wallbash:

Pics of mine

Jan22009icefishing001.jpg

jan09temd.jpg

jan09temh.jpg

As for a Frabill dealer Al.. I'm sure I saw them in LeBaron's catalogue.. Jackie Chan ( 2jack2 ) told me Bass Pro can get the trekker in for $399.. Canadian Tire sells the Trekker but it's $499 there.

FYI

It's not a Trekker it is called an Adventurer (made for CT) and it doesn't have the Trekkers stadium seats or stretcher poles. It comes with those little triangular folding seats (uber uncomfortable)

Even the one on display at our CT is an Adventurer with the crappy seats.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

I like that setup Wayne,the seats on the sled and slide,don t care if they swivel. mm Interesting, the CTC in town here says none of the stores carry the Trekker this year,i ask him to check and he told me they dont,only reason there might be one somewhere is from last years stock,but it would be worth the drive to BP to save the $100 i guess.

I didn t see any fish flipping in those pics, what up with that !!!

CTC Product #78-8193-8

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Fishing/IceFishing/PRD~0788193P/Frabill%252BTrekker%252B2-Man%252BFlip-Over%252BIce%252BShelter.jsp?locale=en

In stock in Midland as of yesterday.. but I'd make them check physically at any location before venturing out. Also as Dave has pointed out.. be sure it's actually a Trekker and has the seats and centre poles.. 4 of them 2 spreaders, rear pole and the most important front telescopic one.

Also says it's in stock in Barrie and Orillia

http://www.canadiantire.ca/checkinventory/check_inventory.jsp?CTC_STORE_SEARCH%3C%3EshowCities=false&CTC_STORE_SEARCH%3C%3EshowResults=false&CTC_STORE_SEARCH%3C%3EprovinceList=&CTC_STORE_SEARCH%3C%3Etype=store&CTC_STORE_SEARCH%3C%3Epostal_cd=L4R5K9&CTC_STORE_SEARCH%3C%3EbackupType=store&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443321787&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672364&bmForm=form_store_locator&bmFormID=1292205352545&bmSubmit=find_inv_stores&bmUID=1292205352545&bmHash=4d65d269ed86b530b17c8f96f23094c2c1d1cbfe

Thanks, I guess the guy in my store doesn t know whats happ then.

If you end up getting that one.. have them let you open it up... be sure those 4 poles are there and the solid seats. Dave got taken way up in Yellowknife, last year, for the economy version (Adventure made just for CTC) but him and Frabill came to an understanding pronto.

I just checked the stores "local" to Jennifer's here in the West end and all say check with store.. so NO stock in other words.

Edited by irishfield

If you end up getting that one.. have them let you open it up... be sure those 4 poles are there and the solid seats. Dave got taken way up in Yellowknife, last year, for the economy version (Adventure made just for CTC) but him and Frabill came to an understanding pronto.

I just checked the stores "local" to Jennifer's here in the West end and all say check with store.. so NO stock in other words.

ok thanks for the good advice, I checked store out in Oshawa and Ajax and say in stock,the guy in Whitb store was lost in space i guess.

I got a Clam Yukon now but some times, I still miss my Eskimo quick flip. In fact, next year when I sell this one, I am going back to the Eskimo.

The Eskimo had a thicker toboggan and also had Velcro windows. This made it easier to be set up on the ice as a drive through window serving lunches.:whistling: