Truly wish I packed a camera yesterday

crappieperchhunter

Headed for the east side of Simcoe yesterday to try some ice perch. Tried two areas. First spot 3.5 inches of ice. Stayed about 4 hours and caught a good amount of perch...but all little buggers...not big enough for the table.

Left to head for a marina that had ice. Caught bigger perch there but only 3 big enough to eat. I hope my buddy enjoys them today. Also managed a 3-4 LB pike and a few others on the line...something bigger then perch anyway...but they live released themselves before we saw what there where.

About an hour before we packed it in Ted gets a hit and it's NOT a perch....drag screaming....what is it :dunno: .A couple of minutes go by...he is still trying to get this fish close to his hole so we can see what it is. I'm about 30 feet away fishing my hole. Now remember we are in a marina...black mud bottom...4 feet of water tops. I get a huge hit...so we are both battling something big. We have caught walleye here before so I figure some huge eyes might have strayed in here. However that was not the case.

As Ted finally gets his fish near his hole we realize my big fish is his as well. So since I never brought my line up we figured it just got caught on my line while he was fighting it.Ted finally gets the fish up to his 5 inch hole. It's an absolutely beautiful 6-7 LB male RAINBOW TROUT,hooked jaw real stocky thick fish. That is why I wished I had the camera today. And to top it off....BOTH....I kid you not...BOTH are jigs are in its mouth. Not snagged. So we both caught a Rainbow on Simcoe in a marina in 4 FOW.

Been that type of year for me. Watched Beansie catch a Muskie this summer on a hair rig baited with corn fishing for carp. Now this Rainbow story on Simcoe. Might be a long time before I see either feat repeated. A day on the water I will never forget that's for sure.

People dump all kinds of crap into Simcoe, I'm guessing that's exactly how it got there.

Great catch though, a picture would have been epic!!! (A rainbow trout with the Hooters in the background, lol)

My buddy actually caught a Rainbow last fall in the Talbot...so he has 2 in the last 2 falls now. I know of 2 others caught in the lake over the years...so a grand total of 4 Rainbows caught in the lake that I know for sure to be true. Must be a small small population of them around.

One of the nicest Bows I have ever seen. A solopaddler pose before the release would have been the icing on the cake :thumbsup_anim:

People dump all kinds of crap into Simcoe, I'm guessing that's exactly how it got there.

I don't think a rainbow was dumped like garbage in Simcoe.

Probably came from Georgian Bay way.

An incredible story must had been a thrill.

Ya, a picture would have been cool but you were targeting dink perch.

Guest gbfisher

Simcoe rainbows....interesting!

An incredible story for sure.

Some of the rivers around simcoe get a small run of rainbows. Have for years. Not sure when they were stocked.

Edited by gbfisher

Headed for the east side of Simcoe yesterday to try some ice perch. Tried two areas. First spot 3.5 inches of ice. Stayed about 4 hours and caught a good amount of perch...but all little buggers...not big enough for the table.

Left to head for a marina that had ice. Caught bigger perch there but only 3 big enough to eat. I hope my buddy enjoys them today. Also managed a 3-4 LB pike and a few others on the line...something bigger then perch anyway...but they live released themselves before we saw what there where.

About an hour before we packed it in Ted gets a hit and it's NOT a perch....drag screaming....what is it :dunno: .A couple of minutes go by...he is still trying to get this fish close to his hole so we can see what it is. I'm about 30 feet away fishing my hole. Now remember we are in a marina...black mud bottom...4 feet of water tops. I get a huge hit...so we are both battling something big. We have caught walleye here before so I figure some huge eyes might have strayed in here. However that was not the case.

As Ted finally gets his fish near his hole we realize my big fish is his as well. So since I never brought my line up we figured it just got caught on my line while he was fighting it.Ted finally gets the fish up to his 5 inch hole. It's an absolutely beautiful 6-7 LB male RAINBOW TROUT,hooked jaw real stocky thick fish. That is why I wished I had the camera today. And to top it off....BOTH....I kid you not...BOTH are jigs are in its mouth. Not snagged. So we both caught a Rainbow on Simcoe in a marina in 4 FOW.

Been that type of year for me. Watched Beansie catch a Muskie this summer on a hair rig baited with corn fishing for carp. Now this Rainbow story on Simcoe. Might be a long time before I see either feat repeated. A day on the water I will never forget that's for sure.

Another tale to tell your grandkids when they get bigger...Great story Steve...thumbsup_anim.gif

For what it's worth there is (to the best of my knowledge) a small population of self sustaining Rainbows are in Simcoe from stocking efforts many years ago.

Can't seem to find much info on it, however I did find this.....

"One of the earliest records of rainbow trout stocking in inland waters of Ontario was in 1918 when 20,000 fish were released in Brough's Creek, a Lake Simcoe tributary, and in Lake Simcoe at the narrows near Atherley, Simcoe Count"

From this site....

http://www.mnr.gov.o...ment/226925.pdf

Congrats to you and your buddy CPH, not unheard of but quite rare from what I understand. clapping.gif