Lower Niagara with RJ Saturday

Aaron Shirley

Some buddies came from Ottawa to fish the lower Niagara River this past Saturday. A few guys fished in Joe's boat, while Rob (the only guy with a NY fishing licence) jumped in my boat for the day. Some of you may know Rob Jackson as the guy who recently caught the Ontario record gar, or some of you may know Rob from his blog adventures: RJ N Birdee's Outdoor Adventures

Although Rob and I know each other, this would be the first time we have had a chance to fish together. I had hoped the water would be a bit clearer, but the hydro dams were spitting out muddy water, affecting the lower river quality below the dams. There was about 10" of vis and the colour was a bit brownish still. I decided to head to the Niagara Bar at the mouth of the river to check things out. Sometimes with the right wind, the ledge on the Canadian side can have clearer water resulting in great lake trout fishing. Lakers open on the ON side Dec 1st, but unfortunately, the waves were very nasty with a good wind coming directly up current. We quickly turned around and headed a bit up river to try for browns.

We were rewarded, and we both got into some nice browns and RJ a steelhead. A few shots from RJ's camera.

aaronbrown1.jpg

aaronsmallborwn.jpg

rjniagarabrown.jpg

rjniagarabow.jpg

rjsmallbrown.jpg

After the bite slowed down, we headed up river to fish the clearer water above the hydro dams for steelhead. This was a good move, as we got into a bunch of nice steelies with a couple of OOS lakers. The water was turning greenish with about 2' of vis.

Note; There were buoys in the middle of Devils hole for the tagging and research project for lake trout. If you venture up there before the middle of December, you will need to keep an eye open for them while drifting.

A few photos from RJ's camera again. Thanks RJ.

hole1.jpg

hole2.jpg

fishingforBrowns049.jpg

aaronbow.jpg

rjbrwon.jpg

aaronbigbow.jpg

All in all, we ended the day with something like 10 in the boat and lost about 6. For the conditions we had, that is a good day. I'm sure glad the guys didn't drive all that way to see a muddy river with really tough fishing! The boys in Joe's boat did ok, but they all wish they had a NY licence at the end of the day. It helped to double our numbers and provided some nice steelhead.

The boys are coming down in January again, and I bet they will all have a NY fishing licence with them :) Glad to have ya out in the Lund RJ, it was a blast.

The best bait for us was pink, orange and white roe bags tied with brown roe in a nickel to quarter size. For those that are thinking about trying your luck and haven't fished there before, here are some details:

The Queenston launch is the only ramp on the ON side, but there are a few on the US side, Lewiston and Youngstown. You will need both a New York and Ontario fishing licence if you want to have the flexibility to fish both sides of the river. The imaginary border line goes down the middle of the river. The fish are generally located along the break lines from shore up to 30-feet deep. They will move shallower in stained water.

Steelhead and browns are open all year round. Lake trout are open December 1st on the Ontario side, and January 1st on the New York side.

I prefer the Rapala 9'6" North Coast rod in medium action with a spinning reel spooled up with 10lb Maxima Perfexion main line. A three-way set-up is the best technique for drifting the Niagara. Long leaders were not needed in the stained water, so I tied 5' fluoro leaders in 6lb test. I like 7-8 foot leaders with gin clear water. A size 8 black Gammy octopus hook rounded out my set-up on the business end, and 1/2oz to 3/4oz slinkies on the other with a 10" dropper line in 10lb.

December can be the best month for numbers of browns and steelhead if the water isn't too muddy, which is often in December.

Good luck to those that venture out!

Aaron

Edited by Aaron Shirley

Really great informative post there Aaron. I'm still too spooked to go up as far as you do, but maybe one of these day.

Did your "mystery" lure give you any luck this time out?

Nice fish you two caught and looks like you had a great time fishing together.

Joey

Hey Grand Mariner! Why would you refer to Aaron as 4o Creek?

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Not being familiar with Hamilton Dax, I thought that was the area he lived in, no?

(Was that supposed to be funny Dax?) Ha ha ha

Cheers, Ron...

Hey Crackle Pops, if you're thinking of heading to the Niagara Saturday, give me a shout. I plan to fish for muskies since they will be closing soon. I'll also have my trout gear in the boat so I can take a break from trolling to actually catch a few fish lol.

Dax, the only thing that Ron lets go is his muskies :P

Joey, the "mystery lure" actually isn't a lure, it is a lucky ummmm... keychain :whistling: And yes, I rubbed it for luck and it worked :lol:

As for heading above the dams, I would not recommend it to someone who has never been. I recommend hiring a guide to learn the waters above the dams if that is something a person wants to do. Paul Castellano or Frank DiMarcantonio are both good and know the waters well. I also wouldn't venture up there in an underpowered boat less than 18 feet.

Above the dams is a very dangerous place for someone that doesn't know the water, and I've seen people who even know it well get careless and into trouble. I'll never forget the time I was fishing the lower stretch and saw a boat float down river upside down. A seasoned fishing guide had their boat sucked into a giant whirlpool that opened up and 2 of the three didn't make it. We were approached by a Sherrif and asked to keep a lookout for 2 bodies. It was very chilling, and a stark reminder to be extra careful venturing above the dams. If it can happen to a guide, it can happen to anyone. Fortunately, there are plenty of fish below the dams, and most of the time the fishing is just as good if not better below the dams from Queenston to the mouth.

Good fishing!

Aaron

No problem RJ, it was a pleasure to have you out. Hopefully we'll get to do it again soon.

Pete, I haven't decided yet, but more than likely the upper/Lake Erie. I can chase steelies and browns all winter, but this will be my last kick at the can for muskies this year. After seeing Dale's last monster, I don't mind spending a day possibly skunked for a chance at a big musky :D

No problem RJ, it was a pleasure to have you out. Hopefully we'll get to do it again soon.

Pete, I haven't decided yet, but more than likely the upper/Lake Erie. I can chase steelies and browns all winter, but this will be my last kick at the can for muskies this year. After seeing Dale's last monster, I don't mind spending a day possibly skunked for a chance at a big musky :D

Ok Aaron, I was thining that we could do a G2G after if Ron is coming up to the river. We usually have a bunch of folks that get together for the last weekend of muskie fishing and then go out for a dinner.

Hey Pete, that sounds like a nice idea, but while you guys are eating dinner, I'll still be fishing after the sun sets ;) Often I've caught my biggest or only musky of the day after dark on the Niagara or lake Erie, especially in clear water conditions.

Thanks for the offer. Good luck, get a big fatty!

Hey Pete, that sounds like a nice idea, but while you guys are eating dinner, I'll still be fishing after the sun sets ;) Often I've caught my biggest or only musky of the day after dark on the Niagara or lake Erie, especially in clear water conditions.

Thanks for the offer. Good luck, get a big fatty!

Tight lines!!

Aaron, thanks for sharing....I haven't seriously fished the lower river in several years.....

I'm sure you know but for others that don't, NYS passed a new law that went into effect last November that states if the boat is under power you MUST wear a PFD from November 1st to May 1st..

Bob