Tip of the day.... Literally

irishfield

Waiting for a customer this morning so instead of starting on another customers airplane I decided to tackle my boat winterization. Good thing, as the prospective customer was an hour late!

Anywhoooo... If you are using one of those expensive ($5.99!!) Princess Auto lower unit pumps... and there isn't a fitting to match your fill port threads, I found a couple years ago that the BEST thing to use is the applicator end off a tube of Anusol or Anuzink that will thread right onto one of the supplied adapters with the pump. Fits perfect and has some taper to it for a good seal. If that doesn't work an RTV sealant tip works well, as well, with it's stepped sizes. After the oil changes in both engines, top and bottom, I got my livewells and power washer antifreezed and capped. Ready for them big toothy Muskies now 'till I can't break the ice at the ramp.

wint1.jpg

wint5.jpg

wint4.jpg

wint2.jpg

wint3.jpg

Edited by irishfield

Great tips as always Wayne it is that time again maybe I should get it done today as this might be the last nice weather here and it sucks sitting on the cold ground outside trying to do it in mid Dec.

The old guy that has owned my boat before I bought it used high end Quick silver for the two oils in my motor so I have been using the same I figure its only $5-$10 more a year for lower end and $20 more per gallon of 2 stroke oil but the motor has been running like a champ for all the years he had it and doing the same for me I guess its just preference.

One other tip is you don't have to get "marine" lower gear lube that is about 2X as much....SAE 80W-90 works fine as it has in my outboard for over 20 years now.

I can hear ya squeak from here Bob... you think I'm gonna cut a $4 corner, for 800ml of oil, on a $31,000 engine. You're welcome to do so, but personally I'll blow the $15.95/qt for Mercs High performance lower unit oil vs $11.95 for a quart of 80W90

Edited by irishfield

One other tip is you don't have to get "marine" lower gear lube that is about 2X as much....SAE 80W-90 works fine as it has in my outboard for over 20 years now.

My understanding is that water will remain seperate from a non-marine oil. The water will actually mix with a marine grade oil.

If you get a leak in your lower end while useing propery marine grade oil, the oil turns milky white but still serves its purpose. If you get a leak while using non-marine oil the oil and water will remain seperated. Water does not make a good lubricant or rust inhibitor for your lower end. I guess you say that you don't need proper marine oil unless your seals are less than 100%. I'll pay an extra few bucks a year just in case.

I think that's what my instructer said... it has been a few years since I took the course.

80w-90 is made for a open gear case.It swells and becomes thin with heat so you get the splash effect.

this is why there's a breather tube.

Lower unit or closed gear case oil doesn't swell from heat.No pressure build up in a closed gear case.

All water will mix with gear oil. the gears will make sure of this.Water will separate from 80w-90 if it

sit long enough.

If you get enough water in the oil it will break down the viscosity,making for a chance the gears will touch.

I can hear ya squeak from here Bob... you think I'm gonna cut a $4 corner, for 800ml of oil, on a $31,000 engine. You're welcome to do so, but personally I'll blow the $15.95/qt for Mercs High performance lower unit oil vs $11.95 for a quart of 80W90

Well I have no ill affects on my outboard and I have been using it for over 20 years (outboard is a 1985) after my dealer told my if you can't find marine lower unit just use 80/90 gear lube.....time has proven this for me....I do take my maintenance seriously and I do it all myself on my boat and my trucks and cars with a degree from Alfred Tech University in auto mechanics. Although that was a LONG time ago I KNOW I do much better through job then taking to someone else.

But I will agree I am FRUGAL, but not cheap.. :)

BTW that 80/90 Gear Lube here is sold for only $3.95

I'm another one that always uses the manufactures recommended fluids and filters. Might cost me a few more $$$$ over the years but I'm very fussy with all my stuff and feel it's worth using exactly what they call for. I do all my own maintanance on my outboards and lawn equipment and whatever else, infact I bought a new John Deere tractor this year and just did the winterizing on it last week with their products.

I also buy a new truck every 3-5 years and always have the maintanance done at the dealership. Again, it probably costs more but they use the proper stuff and it's just peace of mind, plus they could never give me a hassle over a warranty issue related to lubrication if they do the work.

Just my thoughts anyhoo.

BTW that 80/90 Gear Lube here is sold for only $3.95

Quite possible it's cheaper than I stated here in Ontario as well, but I wouldn't care if it was given to me free... I still wouldn't use it. See Tybo's post... forget about the expansion issues of open case gear oil... and I'd sure hate to see what you'd do if you had an old electric shift OMC... maybe add some metal dust to the 80w90? :D

Quite possible it's cheaper than I stated here in Ontario as well, but I wouldn't care if it was given to me free... I still wouldn't use it. See Tybo's post... forget about the expansion issues of open case gear oil... and I'd sure hate to see what you'd do if you had an old electric shift OMC... maybe add some metal dust to the 80w90? :D

Ya, I thought that quoted price was high even in Canada........metal dust, is it CHEAP.... :D

I use lower unit as well.

I can't risk my $300 motor that is 25 years out of warranty over a few bucks. LOL

Billy Bob, DO NOT read any further!

Wayne; I now throw those "expensive" pumps away after each use after losing the first few and spending hours looking for them. When I moved in January, I found three of them from God knows when and I don't remember where I put them either! Picked up another at Princess Auto yesterday. It's sitting on the passanger seat of the car until I use it.