Using a travel trailor on private property ?

cityfisher

Hey all,

I was thinking about buying a couple acres up north and put a travel trailer on it for the short term until I plan and build a place.

Is it legal ?

Any recommendations on travel trailers vs park model va tent trailers?

I'm looking for

something small sleep 4-6 max , comfortable with shower , furnace ... Since i'd like to use it sparingly in the fall / winter

thanks all

Edited by cityfisher

most organized townships will require you to build or at very least pour a foundation within one year of purchasing,thus allowing them to increase the tax base. Try to find a area with an unorganized township with little or no building requirements. Then you can buy the land and use a trailer of whatever kind until you decide to build in the future.

I think you can only park a trailer if you have a building permit for the construction of a permanent place (ie you are only staying in the trailer temporarily), but I also think things up north aren't always as enforced as they are in the city, there's 2 trailers on a little property beside our cottage and nobody seems to mind and they have been used for years

It depends on the township. My cottage is in an unorganized township and the rules around structures and buildings are a lot different then those townships that are organized. There should be info available online regarding the regulations, and if not, a quick call to the building department should get you your answers.

It depends on the township. My cottage is in an unorganized township and the rules around structures and buildings are a lot different then those townships that are organized. There should be info available online regarding the regulations, and if not, a quick call to the building department should get you your answers.

Just left a message with them.

It may be not enforced very well because everytime i go north i see COUNTLESS properties with Trailers on them !

as expected the town does not allow trailers outside trailer parks..funny how they are on almost on everyone lawn lol

I asked about building a mini place under the 106 sqft min and they said that it is NOT allowed unless you have the an existing building on the property.

I asked about a building permit... 500 for the permit and 10 000 for the dev fees .. WoW

as expected the town does not allow trailers outside trailer parks..funny how they are on almost on everyone lawn lol

I asked about building a mini place under the 106 sqft min and they said that it is NOT allowed unless you have the an existing building on the property.

I asked about a building permit... 500 for the permit and 10 000 for the dev fees .. WoW

LOL, I am on my 5th year dealing with the township permits, easements, zoning, etc.. its all a money grab everyone wants there bit.

The by-law guys come out when someone complains., It's depends on your location.

Where I am there is a Nice woman that complains anytime people's lawn gets just a little to long, Even if its land with no structure, house or tree's.

have fun :)

Issue will be whether your land is already under the "official plan" and has already been subjected to planning review. If it's under the review already. Ie: plan of subdivison then you are probably screwed. If it isn't.. you can do many things if you have never applied for planning.. ie a building permit. For example.. I can clear cut all the land I own up North... as I have never applied for any building permit or planning review, therefore I am not bound by any tree cutting.. viewing corridors etc that are in the offical plan. I can cut any trees I want, because the municipality isn't large enough to pass a tree cutting bylaw (need more than 10,000 people). As soon as I apply for a building permit.. I can't cut the trees anymore as they are part of the official plan when you have buildings. Since a building under 10 square meters isn't governed under the building code.. nobody can stop you from building same.. IF YOU'VE NEVER APPLIED FOR PLANNING REVIEW/PERMITS. HOWEVER... if it has plumbing in it, it now comes under the building code and they won't let you build them in many areas. This was brought out in recent years to stop the building of little bunkies while people scratched their funds together to build the real cottage. Of course pushed through by those already established on the lakes that didn't want to see these little shacks. This has now been reversed in the Temagami official plan.. at least in the draft.. that will again allow building the "shack" before building the edifice.

Now that trailer... if you own the land and pull up in the RV trailer... who's to stop you from camping on your own land, let alone storing a trailer on same?? Don't let the township confuse MOBILE HOMES.. with Recreational trailers.. they are two complete different animals. Just make sure it's plated and you have ownership for it and the tires are round. Portable structures are a real grey area. If you really wanna make their head spin... buy a Habiflex home. It's on a trailer.. it folds out into a full 24x 36 cottage in about 2 hours!

Good info Wayne. It differs in each township around North Bay but some will not allow you to put a recreational trailer on your own site unless the wheels are off the ground. If they are still on the ground I think you have to move the trailer every 30 days. They have done this to deter people from subdiving their lots and making trailer parks on the lakes.

Go to the municipalities website.. find the planning department. With todays technology and everyone trying to go paperless the entire Official Plan should be there. Print out the hundreds of pages and read it for insomnia! Read it and read it again until you know it better than the planner...