Why do Fishing shows promote this ?

AverageJoeFishing

The only reason i wrote this article was to prove that hooks don't disolve its just a myth, wether u wanna keep the fish or let it spoil is up to you... we all have different opinions on this subject but my main focus was to prove and say that hooks don't disolve, it's just a bunch of bull crap !

Guest gbfisher

The only reason i wrote this article was to prove that hooks don't disolve its just a myth, wether u wanna keep the fish or let it spoil is up to you... we all have different opinions on this subject but my main focus was to prove and say that hooks don't disolve, it's just a bunch of bull crap !

You keep on with the "let it spoil" idea. It's not spoiled if other things eat it. The fact that you can be fined for keeping a slot is key here as well as other have mentioned.

It's your choice. :good:

AverageJoe, I think you're missing the point.

Does anyone want to leave a hook in a fish? No, of course not. But there are times when - depending exactly where the fish is hooked - you can do more damage trying to move the hook than you will by leaving it in place. Like it or not, that's reality. And for what it's worth, there are human beings walking around on this earth with bullets in them for the same reason - it's safer to leave it where it is than try to remove it. One of those people, a former US Army Ranger, happens to be a very good friend of mine.

When you land a badly-hooked fish, you make a judgement call. At the end of the day, the primary goal is to keep the fish alive so that it will spawn again, and perhaps give someone else a thrill. The fact you caught two fish with hooks in them yourself confirms this line of thinking works. Had someone else taken your approach and killed those fish, you wouldn't have caught them, would you?

Your fishing show host might have done a better job of explaining why they chose to leave a hook in a fish, but that's about it. Good for them for at least trying to make the point that badly hooked fish don't need to die. Most TV hosts would just cut after boating the fish, and not even air the unhooking part.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

So whats the solution? Personally, i don't think there is one really. We all have our morals, standards and the law to live with, and its up to each of us as individuals to interpret these. Laws are more specific and more binding than morals and standards, which are usually emotionally founded.

I do not want to risk losing my gear because of a badly hooked fish.I have on rare occasions put an illegal fish back in the water after cutting the line or hook. I hate doing it, but i would hate to lose my boat and get a fine even more.

AJF, your morals and standards are to be commended. You are the type who would risk it all to do what you feel is right.Bravoclapping.gif

And the rest of you are also to be commended. You live by the laws put in place to protect this sport, and do all that you can to preseve it.Bravo to you all too !!!clapping.gif

Now go to your corners and be good little boys and girlswhistling.gif

Ok this is my conclusion on my topic and it's the last thing I will say... You guys who release fish even if it dies , i'm not saying it's wrong. But it's wrong in my mind, if the fish is legal everyone should keep it and if it's illegal it's up to you. If you follow the law good for you I'm glad your following the law clapping.gif But "MY" law says that wasting fish is wrong too some people say that it won't be wasted something else will eat it... Yes it is true something will eat it or even leeches will chew on it but the fact of the matter is I killed it and my morals and my mind won't be right if I just leave it floating.... Sorry it's just how I feel, I think there's two ways too look at it... Me I do what i think is right not what the law says... Wasting is against my nature, i don't like wasting anything for that matter, and leaving a fish there in my mind that i killed myself is considered wasting from my point of view... I follow every limit and every slot size like I invented them myself even if a fish is right on the line when it's considered legal I release it, and over the slot fish are all released but if it's gonna die my consience won't be at ease to have killed a fish and left it floating... It's almost like murder and hiding the body in the bush with the famliy members unknowing of where the body is, that is just how i think... Sorry it's my opinion and others can have different opinions and it's all right there is nothing wrong with that and no i'm not gonna buy golf clubs ! lol Gonefishing.gif

AverageJoe, both your examples show the fish coping quite well with hooks( jigs )in 'em.

Now, as far as them not disolving, until you can determin how long a hook has been in a fishes mouth, you can't say it doesn't disolve. In your one example, we only know that they don't disolve in a week.

Sometimes, harvesting is not an option because of slots etc. so I would much rather cut the line.

I always have offset side cutters in my boat. They work great for cutting hooks very close to gills and throat. That gives the fish a chance.

And I release all out of season fish and hang around a bit if they float up and are diffidently not going to make it I remove air sac and sink them.

I've never released a dead fish so I know I'm not breaking the law & if you cut the line or hook as close as you can, release it & it swims away neither did you, but if you kept the fish because you think it's going to die, you are breaking the law & unless you tag the fish or put a transmitter in it you can't say you know it was going to die, lots of examples posted here proving you wrong, hooks in live wells, coming out there butt

Richard

Edited by spinnerbaitking

since getting WFN, i've noticed a lot of things by different hosts that make me wonder if they really shouldn't be looking the program over before airing it. I've seen variuos anglers with fingers rammed in the fishes gills, then release it. I even saw one bleeding from the gills and put into the water.They should edit this out or at least mention why they are putting an injured fish back in the water, whether it be OOS or slot fish. That would avoid people like me seeing it and wondering if these professionals are really professional

AverageJoe, both your examples show the fish coping quite well with hooks( jigs )in 'em.

Now, as far as them not disolving, until you can determin how long a hook has been in a fishes mouth, you can't say it doesn't disolve. In your one example, we only know that they don't disolve in a week.

Sometimes, harvesting is not an option because of slots etc. so I would much rather cut the line.

take a hook, put in a glass of water, and let it sit on your desk for a couple of years. Hook will still be there, guaranteed.

I had a bass last season get a hook swallowed...and yes I was using live bait with my little brother that day. I kept the fish. If you are using live bait in the start of the year you will catch OOS fish cause a worm or minnow is not species specific. Keeping a OOS walleye for example because it swallowed your hook is stupid to say the least. Now that fish wont spawn out in a few days or weeks and I hope your ass gets caught for poaching. I caught a bowfin last winter through the ice, it had thick braid maybe a inch or two peaking out of it's anus...I bet it's fine now and still swimming. As for "how would u like it if u had a hook in your throat"? I wouldn't but I doubt a fish even realizes it's there...after all fish do not have nerves and can only feel vibrations.

Remember their brain is the size of a pea, if that fish is hungry and it's mouth is glued shut, ITS GOING TO TRY TO EAT!

As others said, go barbless if u must, go without live bait( I did all summer bass fishing) or just spend more money on sensitive rods....2 or 3 seconds after a bite it all it takes for a fish to swallow your bait...but do you feel the bite right away? Better gear results in faster hook ups and less troubles.

I didn't pinch down 1 barb this season. I also didn't take fish because I saw a hook in their throat(witch I did with 2 fish) One of them a 5lb largemouth, the other a 7lb 7oz bowfin. Both fish were fat and as strong as can be.

...There's a couple minutes I'll never get back :whistling:

yeah he missed the point completely

the example he gave proved fish do live to bite another day with a jig in it's stomach

again chances are the jig was bit off so no angler had anything to do with releasing it, so meaningless

bass fishermen how many times have you had a tube too far inside so you cut the line and put it in the livewell

when you put the fish in the bag for the weigh in you see your tube and hook sitting on the bottom of your livewell.........

I think they do real well with the hook or a piece of it left in the fish

and I sure would not be a poacher and keep illegal fish......... some peoples ethics our unbelievable ... the real law says it wrong

take a hook, put in a glass of water, and let it sit on your desk for a couple of years. Hook will still be there, guaranteed.

Again, not a fair test. Now if I could take a hook, put it in a fishes mouth or stomach, and let it sit on my desk for a couple of years, well, that'd be a different story.

I second the barbless hook thoughts. You keep a tight line, you won't lose many at all. And fish survival rate goes way up. I've taken 5 fly in trips to Quebec, Manitoba etc. and used barbless streamers for pike, brookies, and lakers.....we very seldom lost any fish. I believe it's the law in manitoba.

Guest gbfisher

and I sure would not be a poacher and keep illegal fish......... some peoples ethics are unbelievable ... the real law says it wrong

Some feel they are above the law Terry and that their ideals are OK. Funny how that point keeps coming up around here .... :jerry:

I have fished barbless for years and this plus the In-Fisherman hook removal method solves most problems. For those who fish with me and are not barbless I have a thing called a Barb-Bit that cuts the barb off and has magnets to get the hook pieces out of the fish. For those fish that I am sure won't make it I call them tasty.

If you left a jig in its mouth, by accident or not, and it ate again a week later for you to discover this horrendous issue, then what does that tell you? It ate again....

I would never leave a hook in a fish's mouth if there was another option, but sometimes you need to. Ripping it out of their throat is going to do worse things to it, I can guarantee that. I fish 15-20 tournaments a season usually and I cant tell you the number of jigheads I have left in a fish's mouth and had them spit it out in the livewell. If its bleeding badly, pour some 7UP down its throat, it'll stop bleeding pretty quick and give it time to recover. I swear it works.

Point is that it happens and sometimes the fish lives, sometimes it might not. But I can tell you a fish has a better chance of living if I release it than if it ends up in my freezer.

bass fishermen how many times have you had a tube too far inside so you cut the line and put it in the livewell

when you put the fish in the bag for the weigh in you see your tube and hook sitting on the bottom of your livewell.........

I think they do real well with the hook or a piece of it left in the fish

i witnessed it myself this summer fishing with my Bro.Caught a LMB 1/2 inch under the limit.Using a plastic worm texas rig style. the hook came out its gills and hooked deep in the gill cover,and bleeding.My Bro said "Watch this" He cut the line.put the fish in the live well with some catch and release, and when we got back to shore and opened the livewell, the hook was on the bottom of the tank, and the fish was swimming around happy as a pig in poop.He then released it and it took off real fast.He told me it happens all the time.they spit it out and live.he is gonna put a camera in the next time to see how they do itclapping.gif

Well I was on the WFN ambassador site and saw your blog there and thought I would do a google search and wouldn't ya know it I was led to a OFC post from 2008 which asked the same ??? do hooks dissolve in a fish and Musky or specks replied with a quote from the minnesota DNR which I thought was interesting there is also a few articles that do suggest that they do in fact dissolve in a fish it's hard to say though without some real scientific studies to go by here's Musky or specks reply from the other post.

From Minnisota DNR page

Ask the DNR

Q. In its statements on catch-and-release, the DNR says it's better to leave a deeply im-bedded hook in a fish's mouth and cut the line than to rip the hook out. The hook will supposedly dissolve. But how do biologists know this? en

A. There is no existing scientific research on the topic, but DNR fisheries biologists have observed fish surviving with hooks in various stages of "being dissolved" in their bodies. And many anglers have caught fish with a partially dissolved hook in its gut.

Many variables determine how fast the hook will dissolve, and if the fish will survive at all. These include hook location (throat, stomach, mouth, etc.), hook size, fish size, temperature (most reactions occur faster at higher temperatures, so a hook would probably dissolve faster in the summer than in the winter). A hook in the mouth may dissolve, but it could also work loose and fall out. A hook in the mouth might hamper feeding behavior, but only temporarily.

A hook in the gill, however, will almost always prove fatal because it interrupts the respiratory process before it gets a chance to dissolve. Hooks in the stomach will nearly always dissolve, if internal organs have not received life-threatening damage from the hook (such as during a fight between fish and angler).

How long does it take for a hook to dissolve? Again there are lots of variables, such as hook size and fish size. DNR fisheries biologists estimate that it would take roughly two to three weeks for an ?average? hook to be dissolved by the ?average? fish?without too much indigestion.

I often will kill a fish because it is gut hooked and bleeding. Stainless steel hooks of coarse will not rust out. Of coarse any fish deep hooked that is kept has no chance for survival.