Steelhead stillfishing

fishinguypat

I still remember the days before floats,pins, float rods and such,Steelheading was alot tougher back then.3-way rigs and bottom bouncing was the accepted method and it was difficult technique to master,however when I first saw guys fishing the old black-bird floats and getting very impressive results it was time to change.When I saw a guy using a pin on the Bighead River and he got 22 fish that day, I knew it was time to change again.Float fishing has revolutionized Steelheading and if someone would of told me 30yrs ago he got a rainbow off a float set-up I would of laughed in his face.Today on the rivers if your not using a center-pin and 13'+ rod you get all knds of strange looks times sure have changed.

Gezz" I hope they don't serve alcohol in this thread :whistling: . Man I didn't think fishing was so complicated :blink: . A jerk at one end waiting for a jerk at the other end :dunno: . Heck, I don't want to fish with you guys. I'm taking my baseball and glove home. Come on guys :worthy: Go get some minnys and do some perchin or Sheepin, have a sandwich and coffee sit back and relax. B):sleeping_02:

You can still find ways to get around the crowds, if you are not lazy and have a head for Geography, there is lots of river area to cover. And I'm not talking about fishing on private land or fish sanctuary's. Those people who like to park their car and walk 20 feet to their fishing spot, by all means fish alongside 100 clowns, leave the good fishing to me.

LOL!!!!

This thread is hilarious. The amount of panties that are all torn up about it is comical. I guess everyone missed my sarcasm with my original reply and that's fine. A sarcastic reply deserves an equal amount of sarcastic answers. I'm always up for some good ribbing, whether it be at my expense or not.

Now to Chancho the local Angus expert, if you are going to insult someone, at least get your spelling correct and lose the cool kiddie internet talk. I've fished Angus multiple times and never had a problem banking fish with the pin. 99% of the guys I see down there are drifting presentations under floats.

Lol!!! Take it easy there princess... Looks like even you can be duped for some good hearted sarcasm.

Perhaps we're talking about a different Angus, when I went there everyone except for me was sitting on their duff plunking the deep holes, I was just explaining what a local told me about the area and how a majority of people fish it.

For all I know, you could hook on to Steel with your Sponge Bob square pants rod and reel, that doesn't make it superior to other ways of fishing that area.

You're a horrible OFC fishing board bully.

:)

I was going to talk about the ol days at the 4 sisters, where we use bottom fish for browns and bows and the odd salmon, using an egg sinker, a swivel as a stop and corkies, Hooks baited with either salties or skien,doing very well BTW,but it seems pinning is the way to go these days.LOL

Oh almost forgot,,,,,,,,,,,, :sarcasm:

Edited by BrianB

Sorry El Roy-o, I'll put a disclaimer on my next post that states:

"Language in this post may not be fully understood by computer buffs from the 1920's"

Chancho, it’s best not to make fun of Roy or else he will pwn you with the ban button or downgrade your member title from 'Almost a guide' to 'noob'. He’s L33T you know. :P

Wow Bill you really are getting beat up this time. Sometimes sarcasm doesn't come across in text messges without this guy :sarcasm:

:D

Funny thread but some good info to be had if it doesn't fall off the rails.

I personally get annoyed when steelheading gets broken down into us vs them groups. Some guys like to use a float and centrepin, some guys like to fly fish, others throw lures, or bottom bounce and still fish. I think the one thing everyone can agree on all these tactics can catch fish and all have been abused by certain "anglers" and used a guise to snag.

I should have used that damn smiley, lol!!! I'm a big boy, I can take it. I hope no one in here is taking this to seriously, it's all fun and games until the temps drop! And yes, I have bottom bounced on more then one occasion, extremely effective as DMASSE has stated (and a bunch of others). I'll have to get out to the Niagara and practice up on it this year for sure.

Guest gbfisher

I should have used that damn smiley, lol!!! I'm a big boy, I can take it. I hope no one in here is taking this to seriously, it's all fun and games until the temps drop! And yes, I have bottom bounced on more then one occasion, extremely effective as DMASSE has stated (and a bunch of others). I'll have to get out to the Niagara and practice up on it this year for sure.

Egg sinker (football)fishing is 'still fishing' not bottom bouncing. The Niagara is another animal on it's own. (Niagara tick)Requires a pencil weight.

Hope that helps... :)

Edited by gbfisher

I remember back in the mid-80's, as a young teen, reading an article in Chronzy's Ontario Fisherman on the egg sinker/big roe bag setup(with little styro balls in it). You would cast as far out in lake as possible by a rivermouth and wait for a fish to hit.

Sometimes the Mitchell 300 and 6lb Stren would get spooled. Not sure there is as many fish or access to trib mouths like back then. You need stillwater for stillfishing.

Egg sinker (football)fishing is 'still fishing' not bottom bouncing. The Niagara is another animal on it's own. (Niagara tick)Requires a pencil weight.

Hope that helps... :)

Ah yes, the pencil weight. I was out with Solo last year on the Niagara and there is a definite 'feel' that needs to be acquired to get the hang of it.

I remember football fishing at the mouth of a favourite trib a few years back.. We hooked into a whack of fish, never landing a single one. Our lines would barely touch bottom and get frayed by zebra muscles.. We were at a disadvantage in this case because we were using slip sinker rigs instead of the standard float rig. Mind you, using braid or better mono as a main line would have helped IMO.

I remember football fishing at the mouth of a favourite trib a few years back.. We hooked into a whack of fish, never landing a single one. Our lines would barely touch bottom and get frayed by zebra muscles.. We were at a disadvantage in this case because we were using slip sinker rigs instead of the standard float rig. Mind you, using braid or better mono as a main line would have helped IMO.

ouch blush.gif