Hard fish to catch

Rod Caster

We all have a proverbial "white whale". That certain fish that we've chased and tried to catch on many occasions without success. It might be a resident 5 lbs brown trout in your local creek or an elusive musky that has made you circle a lake ten times with nothing but 5 empty tanks of fuel to show for your work.

Everytime you go out you are over-prepared and confident, yet you return home with nothing but scenery shots. wallbash.gif

I've spent many hours trolling and ice fishing for big lake trout. Many lakes, different spots, lots of reading, new tactics and many miles on my car. I have nothing to show but a 0.5 lbs baby laker and I'm still searching for something of substance. I'm looking forward to hard water season because I'm certain (rolleyes.gif ) I'll catch a big one!

What fish are you working extra hard to catch?

Edited by Rod Caster

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

atlantic salmon in the st. mary's rapids have had my number for years. i can catch them in the tailrace below the hydro dams but in the rapids i was broken off by 13 consecutive fish. it's been a decade or so since i fished the rapids in summer but it's been a definite thorn in my side.

We all have a proverbial "white whale". That certain fish that we've chased and tried to catch on many occasions without success. It might be a resident 5 lbs brown trout in your local creek or an elusive musky that has made you circle a lake ten times with nothing but 5 empty tanks of fuel to show for your work.

Everytime you go out you are over-prepared and confident, yet you return home with nothing but scenery shots. wallbash.gif

I've spent many hours trolling and ice fishing for big lake trout. Many lakes, different spots, lots of reading, new tactics and many miles on my car. I have nothing to show but a 0.5 lbs baby laker and I'm still searching for something of substance. I'm looking forward to hard water season because I'm certain (rolleyes.gif ) I'll catch a big one!

What fish are you working extra hard to catch?

We'll have to go to Temagami this winter. I caught some pretty decent lakers there last year.

We'll have to go to Temagami this winter. I caught some pretty decent lakers there last year.

Thanks Luc. I spent at least 7 full days on the ice last year in the temagami area looking for back lake Trout but litterally didn't get one bite. Lots of work hauling that auger around in cold/slushy conditions.

Steelhead wallbash.gif

+1. Two hours last night, two hours monday, half a day last weekend etc etc...not a sniff! And yet I keep seeing these beautiful Steelhead reports on the board.

Never caught a brook trout, lake trout or brown trout. I have never known when/where to fish for them.

Come up to the park this winter...we'll show you! And by we i mean bring up the doc and we can meet up for some solid action!

it's not like i haven't tried to getcha out duders! how many times did i invite you this summer?

At least 5 or 6.

My head has been quite clouded. I should have at least gone for bass once with you, the videos looked incredible.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Try as I might fishing all the local southern Ontario rivers in the fall I've still yet to hook into an Arctic Char!

Very frustrating....... wallbash.gif

have you tried using a marshmallow?

I really haven't specifiacally targeted them, but have had a few gar strike while fishing other species, I'd say they are pretty tricky getting the hooks into them good enough to land one, haven't done it yet. Low percentage fish I'd say making them my hardest to catch.

Guest Manitoubass

muskie for me.

I usually end up so frustrated I'll switch to bass and or walleye

I did catch a few this summer, but nothing of any size.

Oh, and big sturgeon, like over the hundred lb mark. I've caught plenty in the 40-60lb range. I've hooked a few bigger ones, but usually ends up being a 20-30 minute fight only to have them break me off.

Well I havent got a real big pike yett. lake trout on simcoe last winter were .. Well ,, didnt catch one I fished it twice as much as previous years landed about 50 whitefish and not a single trout .. The year before I caught just as many Trout as whitefish..Strange ...