Great day out for walleye

limeyangler

Hi All,

Some time ago I mentioned that I was going to lose my job, well I sat on the bottom rung of the seniority ladder after many people were laid off, true I escaped the axe (barely) but with a full scale re-patriation plan by the largest aboriginal child and family services agency to get a lot the native kids back to their reserves still in full swing, our agency is still in downsizing mode, meaning that axe could get me at any moment. Then 2 weeks ago my other part-time job was offered to me full-time...I jumped at it, a little bit of breathing space, same money, but at least the new company is expanding rather than shrinking.

Anyway, my last day at my old job was Saturday. The weather was awesome and I took the boys ( kids in care) up to Lac Seul as I had been promising all summer but had been cancelling every time due to the weather (wind). To cut a long story short, the trip was a bit disappointing fish wise and one of the boys had an almighty sulk on about something and refused to fish the whole four hours we were there, making the day less than pleasant for the other boy and myself.

When we got back on Saturday, the non sulky boy heard me talking to a co worker about getting out the next day to a more local lake. The boy asked if he could come along. Well I squared it with the bosses and agreed to take him. I really wanted to get into some fish....properly...as I have been very unlucky when he's in the boat...always promising a banner day that never quite materializes.

Well today it happened....awesome fishing. I was worried that we would skunk on walleye at one point, as we trolled spinners around for 3 hours with 30 or so Pike to show for our efforts. I was really hoping that the walleye would turn on at dusk...they did! Man they were nice fish, we anchored up...the 20+ kmh winds dropped to nothing...and straight jigged walleye after walleye from right under the boat...it was awesome...the kid was having the time of his life.....made my day!

Unfortunately...as I’ve said before, confidentiality means videos or pics with the kid are no go....but we boated a shed load of fish....and I mean a lot....pike were generally small but a couple over 30". Walleye were huge! Fish after fish over 20" and kept 8 fat chunky 17"ers.

Some of the best walleye fishing I’ve had so far this year, made even better because the kid finally got to experience what I’d been promising and failing to deliver time and again...GOOD TIMES.

I TOOK A PICTURE OF ONE JUST BEFORE WE LEFT

IMG_1034-1.jpg

Always happy to hear/see people looking for the best for the Amerindian population in Ontario. It is such a work in progress to help those kids and with all the issues you get with regular street kids times five. You hear of kids getting picked on at school 'cause they got a rotting tooth or can't afford a hair cut or what not. It's a sad situation that gets hushed up in North America by the media. I rather they talk about them more on TV and the news but hey, you'd get all this backlash and it wouldn't be good for publicity 'cause you know, Canada is a great place to live and all and well, I won't get into it any more, its a tough subject and true that a lot of them are in tough positions.

Ah well, great walleye. Wish I could catch on this year

Way to go Simon. I hear you about the confidentiality thing. We are reminded everey day. One problem I have is that I drive a bright orange Ford Explorer Sportrac (Pumkin orange) so it gets noticed. When I am parked in front of my clients homes people know why I am there. They also know to pretend they are not home when I pull up. Works sometimes.

Glad you got into some nice fall walleye.

Hi All,

Some time ago I mentioned that I was going to lose my job, well I sat on the bottom rung of the seniority ladder after many people were laid off, true I escaped the axe (barely) but with a full scale re-patriation plan by the largest aboriginal child and family services agency to get a lot the native kids back to their reserves still in full swing, our agency is still in downsizing mode, meaning that axe could get me at any moment. Then 2 weeks ago my other part-time job was offered to me full-time...I jumped at it, a little bit of breathing space, same money, but at least the new company is expanding rather than shrinking.

Anyway, my last day at my old job was Saturday. The weather was awesome and I took the boys ( kids in care) up to Lac Seul as I had been promising all summer but had been cancelling every time due to the weather (wind). To cut a long story short, the trip was a bit disappointing fish wise and one of the boys had an almighty sulk on about something and refused to fish the whole four hours we were there, making the day less than pleasant for the other boy and myself.

When we got back on Saturday, the non sulky boy heard me talking to a co worker about getting out the next day to a more local lake. The boy asked if he could come along. Well I squared it with the bosses and agreed to take him. I really wanted to get into some fish....properly...as I have been very unlucky when he's in the boat...always promising a banner day that never quite materializes.

Well today it happened....awesome fishing. I was worried that we would skunk on walleye at one point, as we trolled spinners around for 3 hours with 30 or so Pike to show for our efforts. I was really hoping that the walleye would turn on at dusk...they did! Man they were nice fish, we anchored up...the 20+ kmh winds dropped to nothing...and straight jigged walleye after walleye from right under the boat...it was awesome...the kid was having the time of his life.....made my day!

Unfortunately...as I've said before, confidentiality means videos or pics with the kid are no go....but we boated a shed load of fish....and I mean a lot....pike were generally small but a couple over 30". Walleye were huge! Fish after fish over 20" and kept 8 fat chunky 17"ers.

Some of the best walleye fishing I've had so far this year, made even better because the kid finally got to experience what I'd been promising and failing to deliver time and again...GOOD TIMES.

I TOOK A PICTURE OF ONE JUST BEFORE WE LEFT

Kudos to ya!clapping.gif A freind of mine works with needy kids,without homes, I may add! on ocassions he takes a few out fishing to

a local trib for a day out!clapping.gif Sometimes on his own accord and expense!clapping.gif

Simon, I remember that post from a while back.... glad you got offered another so you can put this behind you :thumbsup_anim:

Sounds like you had fun with the eyes once you were able to locate them B)

Kudos to you for taking this kid out and give him a time of his life :clapping:

Thanks for sharing

Jacques

Great stuff Simon, and I hope you don't mind, that is an awesome sunset walleye pic which is now my work laptop background image. Its already turned a couple of heads in the office.

No probs Tom, the pics all yours and anyone elses for that matter. PS....awesome brookie/coaster report.

Congrats on the full time Limey and way to plant those seeds with that boy too. Just imagine how he'll be telling the fish stories in a few months.

Thanks Don....where the he'll ya been...or is it me thats not on here as much?

Great report. Good to hear you and your son bonding over a nice fishing fest! Now you just have to teach him to clean the fish.LOL

NOOOOOO....that was not my son...these were kids i worked with....if it were my son it would have been different lol....just seems you're not allowed to say anything to the kids...you might "violate their rights" GOD FORBID!