Blue (tinged /phase) Walleye Vs Yellow

Muskieman

Was out on Wickstead Lk on Hwy 11 N yesterday and caught 45+ Walleye

2 of which had the "Blue" look happening... drastic difference between these two fish both regular Walleye.

The average size was what you see..

I was out with a OFC Newbie "AverageJoeFishing"... welcome him aboard...he'll be useful here.. B)

winter2010005.jpg

Randy

:canadian:

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

I read something about it being in the slime.....and a theory that it was a type of sunscreen/UV protection.

Catch them quite frequently on our lake. Just a guess (haven't actually measured) but seem like almost 1/2 are like that....at least a 1/4.

The blue ones still have the white dot on the tail. Funny how the lateral line is nearly invisible on bluey. Do you know if there is any difference in the meat?

Had them for supper tonight and they look and cook and tasted the same in the pan.

I was wondering the same thing myself no difference.

Randy

Good job Randy. I love Wickstead. We fished the opening weekend there for about 4 years in a row. Lots of nice eating walleye and we managed a few blue ones too. How far down the lake did you go?

Welcome aboard AverageJoeFishing. Are you a North Bay guy or Sturgeon Falls guy?

AverageJoeFishing, brought me out roughly 2 miles north of the dam..to 4 or 5 different spots. We caught fish all day and went through almost 6 dozen minnows and a few breakoffs (surgically precise) from pike (boated 2 or 3)and also caught a whack of smallies.. I tells ya what, he knows Wickstead 150 x more than I do.

He's a Sturgeon Fallsonien that can't wait to post here, I guess that he's still being screened.. signed up lastnight.

Randy

drastic difference between these two fish both regular Walleye.

Just like a gremlin fed after midnight... it's not a gremlin before but they do change... ah hell I don't know but nice fish and weclome new guy to the board too.

I used to fish Wiskstead alot with my dad. Will have to head up there again now that I have a boat. I remember the entrance being a little tricky. Somthing like to the left of the first ilsand then stick to your right...??