Quick Catfish report.

Daplumma

Fianlly got some rain to muddy up the river so we could get a shot at some cats..Got to try out my new tow rig.It worked perfectly,has a tow package with a "tow" button on the shifter.

100_1302.jpg

First fish of the day was this girl.She went back for another day.Caught 5 or 6 others smaller ones for a fish fry.

100_1305.jpg

100_1306.jpg

She was 29 inches long,we forgot the OFC logo so my team does not get any inches out of the deal.

Joe

Edited by Daplumma

Nice fish Joe. Bet those smaller ones are gonna be real tasty.

I didn't know you had to wait until the river was muddy to fish for cats. Guess you learn something new every day thumbsup_anim.gif

Joey

Not so much the mud as the rising waters.The rain washes mud and along with the mud comes worms,grubs and other bugs.The cats can get up along shore and root around in spots they could not reach before the rain.Art and I cleaned some cats one year that were full of Soy beans.It was after a tropical storm that flooded the soybean fields up river.The cats must have been rooting around in the fields eating anything they could find.Rising water almost always brings out the cats.

Joe

nice cats Joe.....love the jon-boat too, seriously got to pick one of them up, it'd be so handy.

I dont ever target catfish but when,(In-frequent angler) guests drop by I generally hook them up with, 'THE GUEST-GEAR' for off the dock or putt'n in the small tinny......lol,

..usually Med-power w/fast tip rods for smallies or bluegils,(8-12lb mono), quite often they'll hook into cats the size of yours in that pic......Crap, Joe, I had no idea what a great fight they are...bending the heck out of the equipment almost max arc, complete with headshakes.

We do have an incredible population of them and Ive yet to see a small one. This is in water that rarely changes colour tho, due to the steady current...

Dont think I'd ever eat one from here...naw, not at all..lol

We ate catfish when I was working down your way, but then there was quite a bit of other menu items you wouldnt plate up these parts too.

Good to see you doing the local river thing as well as the big water.

I just dont see enough current pics of that beautiful part of the country...ahh memories...Thanks man.

Joe: Charmaine has been searching the net for this recipe for quite some time, preparing the dish but it just isnt the same. Anychance you might have the recipe for true 'BiscuitsNgravy"...PM me if you come across one..I'll owe ya big time for that.

Just reminded me of something...Did I ever thank you for them jeans....lol..they had been mailed back werent they.

Best Fishes,

-Pete

Not so much the mud as the rising waters.The rain washes mud and along with the mud comes worms,grubs and other bugs.The cats can get up along shore and root around in spots they could not reach before the rain.Art and I cleaned some cats one year that were full of Soy beans.It was after a tropical storm that flooded the soybean fields up river.The cats must have been rooting around in the fields eating anything they could find.Rising water almost always brings out the cats.

Joe

I'm hoping all this rain will get me a nice sized kitty today! Thanks for the quick report, looks like an awesome outing!

I also love your john boat!

Guest Johnny Bass

Joe

Makes sense to me!Nice cats but that water looks yucky!

Nope the waters fine before the rain it was clear for 8ft which is excellent here.We have a lot of run off from the rain and since we have soil everywhere we tend to get discolored water easier than up North. The fish that come from the area are very healthy and taste great.

Art