looking for perch recipes and cooking methods

skinny

Hey Skinny, anytime I'm looking for recipes now, I do a google search. Just type in the fish( or meat )and the prefered cooking method( ei; grilling, poaching, oven, etc. ), and the word 'recipe' and bang!.. a TON of recipies. I don't know why anyone would buy a cookbook anymore.

PS.. What time's supper and what's your address?

my ice fishing perch are so small they come out more like fries than fillets. so we used them for fondues, roll em, stick em on your fork, dip them in batter and slap them in the oil pot for about 1 minute. super tasty and helped get rid of the small ones you wished you left in the lake. all other ideas sound great, i use my bbq to cook em keeps the odors out of the house (and the boys). plus you can smoke and swear while you fry. ideal temps are 360-375, use a candy or deep fry thermometer to enure temps. any higher you'll burn the oil or the batter, any lower they just soak in it and the fish cooks chewy by the time the batter browns. you might have to wait between batches for the oil to return to temp. a deep fryer style propane burner is good for this as it has the nuts to keep the temps up. small stuff and bits you can pickle in jars, there were some recipes for that posted a few days ago. one more, a crab cake style treat fried in the pan, great appetizer or side. just find a good crab cake recipe and substitute the perch.

good luck!

1. Flour, Egg wash, Panko style bread crumbs

2. Flour, Egg wash, instant mash potato mix

Fry at 325 degrees until golden brown.

Enjoy!

HH

I will echo what headhunter says Panko bread crumbs and I will add fry in bacon fat 2-3 minutes on each side.

I can give you the number for a good cardiologist too!!!

Edited by lookinforwalleye

I am not a fan of Chronzy's breading and batter mix. Lately we have been doing perch by dusting in flour, then egg, then bread crumbs. It doesn't get much easier.

But the trick is to spice it up, I have been using Clubhouse Citrus blast and mixing it in with both the flour and bread crumbs. It is quite a refreshing blend. Serve with lemon wedges and you are good to go.

I also like any beer batter mix.

Another thing I have found is the hotter the oil the better.

I love eating Simco Perch...nothing like it, almost that time of year too, can't wait!!!!

As for cooking the little tasties, I usually fry em up in peanut oil, and my batter of choice is BPS Uncle Bucks original - I tried them all (Fish Crisp, Chronzy's, Club house, home-made ect...) And by far the most flavorful batter is Uncle Bucks.

I don't think I cooked them any other way, but I want to try em out this year in a chowder with other various seafood.

1. Flour, Egg wash, Panko style bread crumbs

2. Flour, Egg wash, instant mash potato mix

Fry at 325 degrees until golden brown.

Enjoy!

HH

1. is my fav. Little thing I do is marinate the fillets/chunks in Franks Red hot for an hour before flouring. Ummh hmmm... Simcoe on Monday!

Just to add a little something else... bacon wrapped chunks for the picky folks... everything is better with bacon!

Edited by Harrison

1. is my fav. Little thing I do is marinate the fillets/chunks in Franks Red hot for an hour before flouring. Ummh hmmm... Simcoe on Monday!

Just to add a little something else... bacon wrapped chunks for the picky folks... everything is better with bacon!

You got Joe's attention with that one... LOL

The BPS crisp is great too.

Have you ever smoked fish before? Oh baby... :good:

My girls wouldnt bite into a fillet untill I made it this way!

A fish chicken recipe!sarcasm.gif Chicken only in name so they would eat it!And they loved it!

1 pack of roughly crushed salted crackers!A little salt and pepper in the mix!

A red,........pm me for the rest!Its awsesome!