South end of Lake Simcoe

thatleetboy

My buddy Roger and I are headed up to Crescent Beach on the south shore of Lake Simcoe early Thursday morning.

We're both novice fisherman, barely know what we're doing, and have very little gear between us.

His dad has an old aluminum boat with a 1954 5HP Johnson on it, so we're not going far.

J5HP.jpg

We haven't got a clue where to head, or what to do, so we'll probably just put some worms on a hook!

OTOH, if anyone has some friendly advice on a general direction or location, or even perhaps bait, we're more than welcome to suggestions.

Cheers

Well since you don't know what you're doing, and your first walleye is better than my PB, I'm not sharing any spots! <_<

But seriously, I'm not too familiar with Simcoe. :P

Ha!

I'm not expecting anything specific, and I don't have a GPS, but even a "general idea" that would help us get started... would be amazing!

Cheers

barely know what we're doing,

His dad has an old aluminum boat with a 1954 5HP Johnson on it, so we're not going far.

Don't know what your doing, your gonna use an old boat and a 56 year old motor

I'd stay away from Simcoe completely, but that's just my own opinion.

In my personal opinion you'd be best off targeting perch as that would get you the most fun with your experience and probably easiest to target on simcoe. You should get yourself some very small jigs, then rip off small pieces of your worms (1"-2") and hook it straight through the ripped end with the lively portion off the hook a little bit. Now there are so many ways to set it up but you may just want to to you get yourself a very small float and place it about 3-4' above your hook (Don't put on a 3" giant bobber, the fish won't be able to pull it down and you'll never get a single fish).

Look for weedy areas and maybe 10' of water. Cast it out 20' from your boat see if you get any action. If you get no action after 15 min of persistance there's likely no fish or they are much deeper than you have your hook set (or they simply aren't biting). You could take the float off and just cast it out and let it sink to the bottom. Very slowly real it back to the boat once it's hit the ground, that'll tell you if they are hitting from the bottom.

I've never fished from that area on simcoe but from what I've heard, I'd go west to snake island, and work around it. Careful out there, they are currently calling for high winds on Thursday, Simcoe is very unpredictable and if it's wavy out there, don't go out. Just fish from a local dock.

GL!

In my personal opinion you'd be best off targeting perch as that would get you the most fun with your experience and probably easiest to target on simcoe. You should get yourself some very small jigs, then rip off small pieces of your worms (1"-2") and hook it straight through the ripped end with the lively portion off the hook a little bit. Now there are so many ways to set it up but you may just want to to you get yourself a very small float and place it about 3-4' above your hook (Don't put on a 3" giant bobber, the fish won't be able to pull it down and you'll never get a single fish).

Look for weedy areas and maybe 10' of water. Cast it out 20' from your boat see if you get any action. If you get no action after 15 min of persistance there's likely no fish or they are much deeper than you have your hook set (or they simply aren't biting). You could take the float off and just cast it out and let it sink to the bottom. Very slowly real it back to the boat once it's hit the ground, that'll tell you if they are hitting from the bottom.

I've never fished from that area on simcoe but from what I've heard, I'd go west to snake island, and work around it. Careful out there, they are currently calling for high winds on Thursday, Simcoe is very unpredictable and if it's wavy out there, don't go out. Just fish from a local dock.

GL!

Awesome, just the kind of advice I'm looking for!

Cheers

We're both novice fisherman, barely know what we're doing, and have very little gear between us.

I am echoing what Lew said.

Lady Simcoe can whip up in a heart beat. Take one wave over the back and snuff that motor you could be in serious trouble, fast.

I am experienced on big water, especially Simcoe, and still have white knuckle runs on the lake.

Not trying to spook ya bud, but the main lake is not for a boat like that combined with your experience IMO. Trailer over to the Jersey river, Pefferlaw or Holland as mentioned before.

Good Luck

Thanks for the concern, and the warnings about high winds. Duly noted. We'll probably just stick to cruising around Snake Island, as advised. Or try fishing from shore, if it's that bad, I suppose.

Anyhow, thanks for all the advice guys. If there's more to share, I'd love to hear it!

Cheers

Thanks for the concern, and the warnings about high winds. Duly noted. We'll probably just stick to cruising around Snake Island, as advised. Or try fishing from shore, if it's that bad, I suppose.

Anyhow, thanks for all the advice guys. If there's more to share, I'd love to hear it!

Cheers

Even getting to Snake Island with your small boat and old motor can be an ordeal ... with minimal wind and that's rarely the case on Simcoe. The Holland or Pefferlaw Rivers can both be productive with the same perch techniques supplied in another post. You can launch right in Bradford - or at Hwy 48 and the Pefferlaw River. If you have not used your boat a lot - and are still learning about fishing ... it's strongly recommended that you try a river system or much smaller lake first... Please!

Thanks

Wil

Again, thanks for the advice, AND the warnings. I am well aware that we're beginners, and I came here asking for input. I'm just a novice, you guys have far more experience!

Cheers

Especially Wil Wegman when it comes to Lake Simcoe...He teaches fishing when he is not busy at MNR...

Beans (former student)

I have been too nervous to go out on Simcoe in my 14' tinnie with a 9.9, be very very careful if you do go.

The waves on Simcoe get ridiculous, and a small boat is dangerous in tough conditions.

I would stick to Cooks bay, on the leeward shore, or the rivers, as others have mentioned, dont go out into the main lake, Lake Simcoe is not a joke.

Roger has been taking that boat out on that corner of the Lake for decades, and he is in agreement with all of you, so don't worry, we won't be going far.

Weather forecast being what it is, he says he knows of a few spots where we can fish from shore.

Cheers