Top 10 muskies of my season

Fisherpete

*** Updated October 14th ***

As we head into fall trophy time, here's a photo recap of what has been my best muskie season ever, by a country mile. 109 skis have found their way into the boat this summer, 22 being 40" or better. Here is my top 10 so far this year.

Still have a few months of water time to get that elusive Kawarthas 50" in the boat...

43-1.jpg

43b.jpg

43c.jpg

headshot.jpg

DSCF0131.jpg

44b.jpg

44.jpg

455.jpg

455a.jpg

48 and a new personal best (Sept. 15/10)

pete48b.jpg

Edited by Fisherpete

Wow! Very impressive. Not looking for secrets, but I was wondering if you'd be willing to share any observations you have made about lures this past season. For example, did bigger lures take the bigger fish, or did you catch them on a variety of lure styles and sizes. I was on a Kawartha lake last weekend, and did well for me, but the biggest I caught was 38". My biggest lures are around 8". I have a bunch of 6" lures that I'm thinking about selling, I find myself wishing I had bigger lures. I guess what I'm asking is the age old question "Does size matter, or is it how you use it?"

Andy

You absolutely see a lure in the last pic... but if you notice, it is one one of the rods not in use. I have had that Believer (8" fire perch) for 9 years, given it plenty of fishing time, and it has only caught one darn ski, a 33. I know they are supposed to be great muskie lures, but not for me!

Clive - I have caught some skis and a bunch of pike on Rockstars this year, but none in my top 10. That will likely change in the fall as the water cools down... ;) remember my PB 47" on a Rockstar from last October?

Edited by Fisherpete

Andy - lure size didn't seem to really matter - the second biggest one was caught on a 6" lure... and I have caught some baby muskies (20-25") this year on a 12" lure! They are not too smart... but aggressive. Put it near them, big or small, and they will often take a chomp at it. My not so secret strategy? Location, location, location... In mid-June, I fished a section of Sturgeon for a day, had never been there before... just looked at a map, guesstimated which locations would make sense to hold muskies and fished them hard... ended up with 8 that afternoon including a 44 within 5 minutes of getting there! It can be applied to any lake... and as you spend more time on the water, you will figure out those 'spots on a spot'.

Lunkerhunter - what is your actual name by the way LOL! - for sure we should get out soon. Are you a weekend warrior or can you get out on weekdays too? Send me a pm... Oh, and guess what I went out and bought again? Yup, that same Frabill 60" cradle that I sold you! I missed it for dealing with small to medium fish, and prefer it when fishing with a partner. It often seems to hasten the release process. My Stowmaster will still be good for solo trips and for monster fish though...

Dan - the season is just beginning... ;) Just wait...

Edited by Fisherpete

Andy - lure size didn't seem to really matter - the second biggest one was caught on a 6" lure... and I have caught some baby muskies (20-25") this year on a 12" lure! They are not too smart... but aggressive. Put it near them, big or small, and they will often take a chomp at it. My not so secret strategy? Location, location, location... In mid-June, I fished a section of Sturgeon for a day, had never been there before... just looked at a map, guesstimated which locations would make sense to hold muskies and fished them hard... ended up with 8 that afternoon including a 44 within 5 minutes of getting there! It can be applied to any lake... and as you spend more time on the water, you will figure out those 'spots on a spot'.

Lunkerhunter - what is your actual name by the way LOL! - for sure we should get out soon. Are you a weekend warrior or can you get out on weekdays too? Send me a pm... Oh, and guess what I went out and bought again? Yup, that same Frabill 60" cradle that I sold you! I missed it for dealing with small to medium fish, and prefer it when fishing with a partner. It often seems to hasten the release process. My Stowmaster will still be good for solo trips and for monster fish though...

Dan - the season is just beginning... ;) Just wait...

I appreciate your response. "just looked at a map, guesstimated which locations would make sense to hold muskies and fished them hard" That statement makes perfect sense, but it's one thing to say it, and another to take the time and make the effort to follow through with it. A lot of us are too busy or impatient to put in the effort you do, and spend our time looking for the "hot" lure or blaming the weather, etc. You were rewarded for your efforts, congratulations, and thanks again. By the way, I have yet to catch a fish of any kind on a Believer or Swimm Whizz, and I have given it a far share of time in the water. Andy

Edited by Andy