How do I fish water that is 60-80 ft deep?

splashhopper

Might be heading up on a retreat next weekend to get a little R+R in and re-connect with the Creator of all this.

The lake where I am heading to is 60-80 ft deep and is supposed to have some serious lake trout in it.

I never fish in water that deep and will only have 2-3 rods with me.

I am thinking drop shotting and jigging some of my larger ice fishing spoons and jigs.

With the depth of that water and how much line I will be letting out, that feeling the bite will be very different than in shallower water. :dunno:

Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks

If you are fishing from a boat and can troll, you can use a 3 way swivel setup:

tie the swivel to your main line, tie a 2 oz (or more, have to experiment) weight to one side of the 3 way, then tie a 3-6 ft leader on the 3rd swivel. Place your bait at the end of the leader.

That should get you down there. Key is using enough weight.

Here is a better description:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPage?mode=article&objectID=30287&storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1

Good luck

Definitely try out using a 3-way swivel to troll your favourite spoon or spinner. The lures don't have to be huge. Try something with silver or gold in it. Even big trouts like small lures. As for the sinkers, 1oz/10 feet seems too heavy. For me, since I mostly troll very slowly (like paddling with a canoe), 2 to 3 oz is enough even for 60 fow. And I don't let out a lot of line, just enough to keep the lure just off bottom. Just have to experiment with the setup. You will have fun!

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i use 3 way swivels, approximately 2oz. of weight, and a very low diameter mainline to cut through the water (i've been using 20 lb (6lb diameter) power pro...

when you let this rig out, don't cast. i actually flip the anti reverse lever and let the weight of the sinker slowly let the presentation out...

typically i use various floating, suspending, and jointed rapalas behind this presentation.

You can fish 60' of water with way less weight than 1oz/10'. We have been having success on several lakes here in Haliburton jigging for lakers in 50-60' of water: tube jigs with a 3/4 oz head. Braid really helps feel the bite with that amount of line out. You would be amazed at the size of tube they will hit.

If you have sonar, use it. They may be way shallower than you think, possibly right below the thermocline.

Try fishing 40-60' of water, about 25-40' down in the morning, evenings, and maybe even around noon. I had a ton of success just this past weekend. If you're having trouble with weights, give the Rapala Trolls-To series a try. They troll along at depths of 20' (or 15', depending on which one you get). I do believe that the Deep Tail Dancer series can get you down to 30'.

I've never had success getting the 80'+ fish to bite... it always seems to be the shallower ones during those "golden hours".

ok,, the consensus seems to be:

a) 3-way swivel with some heavy weights (2-4 oz) and spoons or rapalas

B) Heavy jigs with twisters or live bait

How about the line weight and stiffness of rod ?

Thanks again.

The instruction from the members here is right on the money.

The line weight 8 pound or 10 pound or whatever.. you will be fine. Stiffness of rod will not matter much, I mean if you want to buy a new rod for every trip you take by all means. Whatever rods you have, match them up with the advice here. Whatever you have that feels the best with the 3 way rig will do.

Good luck man. I hope you slay them.

I always liked the snap weights or leadcore with a williams half and half hammered. 30-50 down are the biters. If you are marking hordes of fish 80 feet down and you can not get them to bite target 30-50 feet down. Not as many fish on the sonar but many of them will be biters.

Good luck.

30-50 down are the biters. If you are marking hordes of fish 80 feet down and you can not get them to bite target 30-50 feet down. Not as many fish on the sonar but many of them will be biters.

Good luck.

That has been my experience too on smaller Haliburton Lakes even in summer. Take a temperature profile, you are going to find the thermocline before 40 ' and temps in the high forties at 40'. Always did better at trolling 40 to 50' feet down there and don't forget given a equal number of fish at 40' and 80' , your graph will make it look like there are 4X's as many at 80 compared to 40, do the math on the area covered by the cone of your transducer. :Gonefishing: