Is Goodlife fitness shafting members?

scuro2

make your daughter find a job at a local grocery store and pay it off

Ironically she works at a grocery store and she will pay it off. The super irony here is that all of this happened because she wanted two bank accounts and she mistakenly transferred money out of the one account to make sure she wouldn't go NSF for Good Life. :o If nothing else this is a valuable life lesson about money, banks, and how companies don't always have your best interests in mind.

Edited by scuro2

Another lesson is never to allow companies to automatically deduct payments directly from your account. This is a dangerous practice, but companies offer this as a "convenience" so you won't have a good sense of just how much money they're taking from you. Out of sight, out of mind, and out of money.

The other issue is in situations where you're canceling service or membership. In the past, (albeit with a different fitness club), they "conveniently" forgot to discontinue withdrawing funds from my wife's account, even after she canceled membership in person. It took months to get the money back -- and you can bet that they didn't offer to pay compensation for their indiscretion / stealing.

Another lesson is never to allow companies to automatically deduct payments directly from your account. This is a dangerous practice, but companies offer this as a "convenience" so you won't have a good sense of just how much money they're taking from you. Out of sight, out of mind, and out of money.

The other issue is in situations where you're canceling service or membership. In the past, (albeit with a different fitness club), they "conveniently" forgot to discontinue withdrawing funds from my wife's account, even after she canceled membership in person. It took months to get the money back -- and you can bet that they didn't offer to pay compensation for their indiscretion / stealing.

Amen! I avoid any and all pre-auth payment structures at all times. otherwise, if a dispute arises, they've already got your money and your time and energy is spent on trying to get it back. No thanks.

Good luck with your situation.

My wife is a bank manager. She told both our kids to be extra cautious when dealing with any fitness club other then community ones. For years she has been witness to customers getting screwed in many ways by "FitnessClubs". And it seems one is no better then the other...all the major clubs seem to play games when it comes to the money end of things.

An update

I went to the bank and they confirmed that the four NSF charges of $40 each were the result of four separate attempts by GLF to withdraw funds over a 4 week period. The local manager said she could do nothing and referred me back to their 1-800 #. The 1-800 lady confirmed that it was GLF who made the four separate attempts costing my daughter $160 dollars in bank charges. I asked if it was the right thing for GLF to do this and I got the contract and business spiel and it was within their right to make the 4 attempts. I asked if they could reduce the bill in any way and she said no. I asked if she could mail me the original contract and she said no I would have to go to a website to make a request.

I asked if it was GLF that added the two additional $25 dollar collection fees. As I understand what was said to me, neither the CPA nor any private collection agency is yet involved.

Total additional costs beyond missed payments, that can be attributed GLF or their actions = $210.00

My wife did sign the contract along with my daughter.

Edited by scuro2

Your bank can get rid of those NSF charges easily.. But it doesn't look like they want to help you. How long have you and the wife had accounts there? Also, if you have a mortgage or LOC or anything I'd bring it up and threaten to switch banks if they don't get rid of them.

I wouldn't put up with that Bull, especially if you've been with them for a while.

An update

I asked if it was GLF that added the two additional $25 dollar collection fees. As I understand what was said to me, neither the CPA nor any private collection agency is yet involved.

Total additional costs beyond missed payments, that can be attributed GLF or their actions = $210.00

My wife did sign the contract along with my daughter.

We live in a time of legalized stealing if your not careful, by the sounds of it.

Your bank can get rid of those NSF charges easily.. But it doesn't look like they want to help you. How long have you and the wife had accounts there? Also, if you have a mortgage or LOC or anything I'd bring it up and threaten to switch banks if they don't get rid of them.

I wouldn't put up with that Bull, especially if you've been with them for a while.

EXACTLY.

The same thing happened to me when paypal attempted a direct withdrawl instead of processing my visa # (which was my selected option).

3 NSF charges were dropped immediately by my bank when I inquired about it.

Could it be you're too confrontational in your approach?

You get more flies with honey. :dunno:

Your daughter and wife would have got a "PINK" copy of the contract when they signed it. Goodlife charges only one $25 according to my wife but even if they did charge twice it's still your bank that is charging you $160.00. Your issue is really with the bank. Next time you go in to the gym ask to talk to the club admin, seriously, the managers don't really know what's going on in that regard.

Your daughter and wife would have got a "PINK" copy of the contract when they signed it. Goodlife charges only one $25 according to my wife but even if they did charge twice it's still your bank that is charging you $160.00. Your issue is really with the bank. Next time you go in to the gym ask to talk to the club admin, seriously, the managers don't really know what's going on in that regard.

I'm not lying. Goodlife wants 2 x $25 dollars for it's "collection services". They made 4 attempts to withdraw money over a month. Since several GLF personal at the gym denied that a third and fourth attempts were done by GLF, and our first contact at the 1-800 also denied that they would make more than two attempts. A lot of time at the bank was spent to sort this out. It took two meetings but the bank did put a real person in front of us who listened and eventually agreed that the bank shouldered a little bit of responsibility here. She communicated with a manager who offered to knock off 3 of the charges and my daughter was very pleased that they did this. Had GLF only attempted to withdraw funds once or twice I may have pressed the point that she was a minor and probably got all of the charges removed.

I'm sure my daughter and wife did get a "pink copy" but you are talking about 17 year old. I'm sure I heard GLF personal state that they only ever attempt withdraw funds twice. We wanted to see the exact wording of the contract and asked the 1-800 lady but she said she couldn't mail me a copy...not even a blank form. She said we would have to go to a website and fill out an application to get this form. No real person from GLF with any authority will see us. I've made this request many times and they say the only way to deal with this is phone the 1-800 #. The difference between how the bank and GLF have handled this is stark. From my vantage point GLF is not concerned personally about it's customers and is being unreasonable.

Edited by scuro2

Everybody is to greedy anymore. I just retired from banking after 40 some years and the Banks have become theives. In the late 1800's and early 1900 people would rob banks with a gun, now the Banks rob the people and they do not have to use a gun. When I started banking the banks cared about the community and the people. The managers would work with the customers but now all the Banks want is fees. All the Banks care about is the profit and the all the managers care about is their bonus. When I was a Loan Officer for a local Bank we would make loans with the customers deposits and make a good income for the banks and pay good intrest to the depositor and not charge all kinds of fees for the deposit. Now the Big BANKS have taken over the small local Banks and as I said they do not care about the community or the customers unless it will increase there profit. Before the Big Banks taken over the local Banks wanted the employees to belong to civic clubs and work to help the community, now they want the employees to do is calling customer and getting more money for the bank and find more fees to charge the customer. Just like your daughter's O D Fees.

I did get a hold of the president's e-mail and sent David Patchell-Evans and the local manager an e-mail today. Here it is.

Dear Sir and Ms XXXXXXX,

My teenage daughter's account went NSF. I did speak to Ms. XXXXXXX about this and she said she had no power to do anything and that I had to call the 1-800#. XXXXXXX at your 1-800# confirmed that GLF made 4 separate attempts to pull funds out of her account over a 4 week period. These attempts resulted in $160 dollars of bank charges. XXXXXXX thought this was a perfectly acceptable business practice, stated within her contract, even though my daughter was 17 at the time. XXXXXXX stated that in no way was it possible to reduce what GLF wishes to collect. Ultimately it will be I who will be responsible for these charges. I ask you kindly to do the right thing and set up an appointment for myself and my daughter so that we can talk face to face with someone who has the authority to resolve this.

Thank you,

XXXXXXX

Here is the response.

Thank you for your email. I am on holidays until August 30th. I will be working through many emails and will be back to you as soon as possible. I appreciate your patience in my reply.

Patch

I'll update you all in September and let you know if the president responds and sets up a personal meeting. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Your insights have been very helpful.

Edited by scuro2

How come this thread hasn't been locked down yet?

I have had very positive dealings with Goodlife Fitness Centres for a few years.

They are not on this site to defend themselves.

I thought this was a fishing forum. :dunno:

Why in the world would it possibly be locked down?

I've been a member of GLF myself for years with no problems. So what?

What does that have to do with scuro's situation?

Nothing.

As far as this being stricly a fishing forum you've been around long enough to know that's not the case.

As an aside talk to anybody who works in a bank and they'll tell that dealing with fitness clubs in general is a nightmare.

They're known for this type of thing.

i dont think it matters that your daughter was 17 at the time she signed the contract since it was co-signed by a parent/guardian. these places bank on the fact that people dont read the contract when they sign up. it may be all sorts of bad things morally or whatever, but a contract is a contract... after it's signed is no time to complain about it. it looks like there is more than one lesson to be learned in all of this.

ryan

don't take this negatively, i too got caught up in all of this once. chalked it up as lessons learned, paid it and went on with life.

I did get a hold of the president's e-mail and sent David Patchell-Evans and the local manager an e-mail today. Here it is.

Dear Sir and Ms XXXXXXX,

My teenage daughter's account went NSF. I did speak to Ms. XXXXXXX about this and she said she had no power to do anything and that I had to call the 1-800#. XXXXXXX at your 1-800# confirmed that GLF made 4 separate attempts to pull funds out of her account over a 4 week period. These attempts resulted in $160 dollars of bank charges. XXXXXXX thought this was a perfectly acceptable business practice, stated within her contract, even though my daughter was 17 at the time. XXXXXXX stated that in no way was it possible to reduce what GLF wishes to collect. Ultimately it will be I who will be responsible for these charges. I ask you kindly to do the right thing and set up an appointment for myself and my daughter so that we can talk face to face with someone who has the authority to resolve this.

Thank you,

XXXXXXX

Here is the response.

Thank you for your email. I am on holidays until August 30th. I will be working through many emails and will be back to you as soon as possible. I appreciate your patience in my reply.

Patch

I'll update you all in September and let you know if the president responds and sets up a personal meeting. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Your insights have been very helpful.

why not just ask them how the contract is valid with no parental signature? To me the rest is moot.

i dont think it matters that your daughter was 17 at the time she signed the contract since it was co-signed by a parent/guardian. these places bank on the fact that people dont read the contract when they sign up. it may be all sorts of bad things morally or whatever, but a contract is a contract... after it's signed is no time to complain about it. it looks like there is more than one lesson to be learned in all of this. don't take this negatively, i too got caught up in all of this once. chalked it up as lessons learned, paid it and went on with life.

No I don't take it negatively, no offense taken. Her mom did sign and yes a contract is a contract. I'm asking them to do the right thing. At a bare minimum at least put a real live person in front of us to listen, an then tell us that this is the way they run their business. I'm very interested to find out if the president will respond to the e-mail a week from now when he get back from his vacation, and if they run their business in such a manner I'm sure a few of you would like to know this.

I'd like to point out that this thread would have never started if any of the five GLF personal I had talked to, to date, would have given me a name of a person who had the authority to settle this. Most of them didn't know exactly how this end of their business operates. Every single one of them only offered their 1-800 as an possible solution. I asked point blank repeatedly...

Edited by scuro2

Switch to a Credit Union if your not happy with your bank I've had no problem's with the one I belong to. I can't see why they're doing this look at all the running around your doing your going to be in better shape & your not the one that's the member, maybe that's what the extra charges are for :wallbash:

Richard

I can understand asking that the charges be removed, heck its $160 out of your pocket. But complaining that they are "shafting" you? I mean the title of the thread is quite negative...

This is how I see it (and maybe its only me that sees it this way)....

You signed a contract.... defaulted on this contract.... they have a right to compensation, whatever it says in this contract.... thats the way it is. It is not their problem why the account was NSF, they shouldn't have to care (but they could to be nice)...

Play nice with the President, and he may do something for you, but remember that he doesn't have to, and that shouldn't make them a "bad" company for persuing what they are entitled to.

Burt :)

I'm okay with the bank. Yes, the NSF charges are high...and personally I think they should have phoned us after the second NSF but in the end they reduced the 4 NSF charges to 1. They didn't have to do that either, I am sure they have a contract too. They allowed my daughter to see a real person and she listened, and when we saw that to a small degree we had a valid point, she acted.

Edited by scuro2

Guest Johnny Bass

I'm okay with the bank. Yes, the NSF charges are high...and personally I think they should have phoned us after the second NSF but in the end they reduced the 4 NSF charges to 1. They didn't have to do that either, I am sure they have a contract too. They allowed my daughter to see a real person and she listened, and when we saw that to a small degree we had a valid point, she acted.

Glad to hear they were reasonable people and all worked well. A contract is a contract UNLESS! Your a major company. Rogers, had unlimited downloading on my contract, and then notified me that now I have a limit and will be charged extra if I exceed it.

Then I have Rogers telling me that my incoming text messages are no longer free. Now there text messages are really cheap but still...They robbed me a few hundred in the process that they said I would be reimbursed and never was.Its ok when big businesses want to make changes to a contract, its not ok for the little people.

A contract is a contract but common sense tells me that sometimes there should be exceptions.

I remember watching bugs bunny and how you needed a magnifying glass to see the small print, and in the old days people would be scammed FOR REAL alot of money by those small prints that were impossible to read.

Make sure you people read and understand perfectly anything you sign.

Anyways good for goodlife in resolving this issue in a decent manner.

Gentlemen: a contract is only as good as your ability to enforce it. Read, monetarily able to enforce it. The average person, myself included, probably get taken advantage of by large corporations every day, is it legal for phone companies etc. etc. to change their "contract"s . Only a court of law and the attendant legal fees can answer that. I can't afford it , they can. That's the bottom line, not right but that's the way it is. I haven't met a pro bono lawyer in my 59 years of existence.

Bill

Guest Johnny Bass

Everybody is to greedy anymore. I just retired from banking after 40 some years and the Banks have become theives. In the late 1800's and early 1900 people would rob banks with a gun, now the Banks rob the people and they do not have to use a gun. When I started banking the banks cared about the community and the people. The managers would work with the customers but now all the Banks want is fees. All the Banks care about is the profit and the all the managers care about is their bonus. When I was a Loan Officer for a local Bank we would make loans with the customers deposits and make a good income for the banks and pay good intrest to the depositor and not charge all kinds of fees for the deposit. Now the Big BANKS have taken over the small local Banks and as I said they do not care about the community or the customers unless it will increase there profit. Before the Big Banks taken over the local Banks wanted the employees to belong to civic clubs and work to help the community, now they want the employees to do is calling customer and getting more money for the bank and find more fees to charge the customer. Just like your daughter's O D Fees.

You have no idea. What you speak of is small potatoes to what they are really doing. The banks are one of the major reason we are in this economic dilemma. People making bad loans to receive bonuses. They make it seem like the banks are loosing out and that they need money to be bailed out, but that is not the case. Not only do they have most of the downpayments and payments, they have the collateral(homes, land, businesses) also.