ON record smallmouth

sauce

Can you imagine seeing a 9.8 pound smallmouth? That's a giant fish. I've caught walleye, trout, pike that size. But never a bass anywhere close. I've heard of and seen pics of smallies up to 7 pounds. SMB that size are rare fish. So, I'm thinkin if I want to catch a giant smallie, I need to fish a body of water that can create such a monster. Ya, Erie, simcoe, etc... what about the lake where the record was caught? Does anyone fish it? My research tells me its bark lake near kinmount. The record LMB comes from a lake close by. Something in the water? Just starting discussion. Don't need to know anyones secret spots. Just maybe hear about others experiences at this lake.

Guest Rapala Boy

It's possible, just this early summer I lost the biggest bass of my life at the holland river on a gulp minnow 2 feet behind a topwater (rig I invented for tourny). The fish looked around 7 pounds, definably bigger than 5 pounds. I still can't get over that.wallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gif

worthy.gif

Alright time for me to get back to salmon.....canadian.gif

7 lbs is a looooong way from 9lbs 8oz. Lots of 7s have been caught from Simcoe, but has anyone ever weighed a fish over 8.5 from there? Erie is producing amazing #s of 7s, but I have never heard of a 8.5 being caught from there either. It's like there's some kind of growth limiter on those waters.

Don't you remember that guy from Ottawa that broke the world record, but filleted it before it could be weighed? I always admired his cajones....if you're going to lie about a fish, you might as well double the weight instead of adding a measly pound or two.

I believe the Ontario record is from Birch Lake. There are some virtually unfished bass lakes in the area between the Kawarthas and the Highlands....nuff said.

"It's like there's some kind of growth limiter on those waters"

Probably the two biggest growth limiters are food supply and fishing pressure. Here in Ohio a new state record L/M only seems to be possible in private farm ponds. Just too much fishing pressure on public waters. The last state record L/M out of a public lake? 40-50 years ago.

The state record smallie? I believe Lake Erie? A tremendous food supply for them, miles of habitat, and millions of fishing hours involved. They are special because they are rare! Nature`s works of art!

As much as catch and release is practiced? some still keep big bass. Some lakes have the food supply and habitat to produce nice fish fairly often, but limited by fishing pressure.

You rarely catch the biggest fish in the lake, but you keep going back searching for it!

It's possible, just this early summer I lost the biggest bass of my life at the holland river on a gulp minnow 2 feet behind a topwater (rig I invented for tourny). The fish looked around 7 pounds, definably bigger than 5 pounds. I still can't get over that.wallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gif

worthy.gif

Alright time for me to get back to salmon.....canadian.gif

Been fishing the Holland River for 15+ years and never caught/seen a bass that big come out of there. Too bad you lost it, it would definitely be cool to see a 7lb bass out of there. Shore or boat fishing?

kevin Van Dams brother caught the Ohio ( I think ) record smallmouth from erie a few years back, it was in excess of 9 lbs but I think thatsbeen the biggest one caught in a while including the Tennessee impoundments that most of the biggest are from.

That lake by Kinmount is very small the fish musthave been a genetic freak is my guess. Akin to catching Andrea the Giant of smallmouths!

there was a post on here a While back about Mazinawa Lake or Bon Echo park.

I have been fishing Upper Mazinawa for about 30 years. I would think that this lake could hold a 9 lb bass. The lake is one of the deepest in Ontario. I remember a few years ago using frogs, and fishing in 25-30fow around some of the islands near Campbells Bay, and catching some monsters out of there. Never really took pictures nor did I have a scale- but I did catch one that was over 7 lbs easily --

Guest natron

Rainy lake, Lake of the Woods and Lac Seul in Northwest Ontario produce alot of big smallies. Biggest I've ever caught though was a tad over 8lbs, but I've rarely fished those lakes for smallies, usually it's for large walleye.

I've caught alot of 7lbers the past two years on Rainy River as well.

I can't imagine hauling in one close to 10lbs, that would be sensory overload, lol

Guest natron

I'd imagine record-chasing would be pretty fun. Any kind of fishing where you're mildly disappointed when you catch a 4lb SMB is a good kind of fishing in my books.

I agree.

Have you seen the youtube video of that 25lb LM that was dummy hooked? Wow, that guy fished the same lake everday for like 4 years chasing on fish he called "dotty". Unbelievable determination, lol

7 lbs is a looooong way from 9lbs 8oz. Lots of 7s have been caught from Simcoe, but has anyone ever weighed a fish over 8.5 from there? Erie is producing amazing #s of 7s, but I have never heard of a 8.5 being caught from there either. It's like there's some kind of growth limiter on those waters.

Don't you remember that guy from Ottawa that broke the world record, but filleted it before it could be weighed? I always admired his cajones....if you're going to lie about a fish, you might as well double the weight instead of adding a measly pound or two.

I believe the Ontario record is from Birch Lake. There are some virtually unfished bass lakes in the area between the Kawarthas and the Highlands....nuff said.

I have.....an old friend of my landed and released a 9.4 from lake simcoe! no joke, he had a mount made of the fish and pictures to prove it. had the mount of the HUGe smallie in my hands before........crazy fish! He caught it in Late August!

I've fished simcoe for years and have never seen anything even close to that size before! I haven't talked with this angler in years.....sorry no pictures from me of this fish.....

Trust me, i thought it was Bull too until he showed me the mount with pictures!!!

I have fished Birchbark lake where the On. record was caught and it is not a trophy lake at all.It was caught in 1957 I believe (it used to be in the general store in Kinmount) and would of been a freak that all.7lb smallies are rare but they do exist,if you get a true 7 you have the fish of a lifetime.

there was a post on here a While back about Mazinawa Lake or Bon Echo park.

I have been fishing Upper Mazinawa for about 30 years. I would think that this lake could hold a 9 lb bass. The lake is one of the deepest in Ontario. I remember a few years ago using frogs, and fishing in 25-30fow around some of the islands near Campbells Bay, and catching some monsters out of there. Never really took pictures nor did I have a scale- but I did catch one that was over 7 lbs easily --

yup there are some large fish. but can be very hard to find.. so much water for them to swim in..

Rainy lake, Lake of the Woods and Lac Seul in Northwest Ontario produce alot of big smallies. Biggest I've ever caught though was a tad over 8lbs, but I've rarely fished those lakes for smallies, usually it's for large walleye.

I've caught alot of 7lbers the past two years on Rainy River as well.

I can't imagine hauling in one close to 10lbs, that would be sensory overload, lol

Any pics? I would love to see what a 7 lb bass looks like.

I have.....an old friend of my landed and released a 9.4 from lake simcoe! no joke, he had a mount made of the fish and pictures to prove it. had the mount of the HUGe smallie in my hands before........crazy fish! He caught it in Late August!

I've fished simcoe for years and have never seen anything even close to that size before! I haven't talked with this angler in years.....sorry no pictures from me of this fish.....

Trust me, i thought it was Bull too until he showed me the mount with pictures!!!

Thats the only true story out of his mouth too. lol

Guest natron

Any pics? I would love to see what a 7 lb bass looks like.

Yep, I'll get them up later today or early tomorrow. I have to get my old computer set up so I can get them on a flash drive before I can post em.

I got lots from this year as weel I can post up, but thus far the biggest is a little over 5lbs :(

I got lots of pics of my 7 year old son catching some 5lbers as well, lol. and one of my daughter from this past winter with a 11lb walleye!

Guest Rapala Boy

Been fishing the Holland River for 15+ years and never caught/seen a bass that big come out of there. Too bad you lost it, it would definitely be cool to see a 7lb bass out of there. Shore or boat fishing?

lol the funny thing is I also lost my biggest pike a few years before near the same spot, it was the size of a trophy muskie, the even funnier thing is it was also on a gulp minnow!

shore fishing

Edited by Rapala Boy