Losing Blades with Spinnerbaits

EC1

Hi All,

After picking up and using spinnerbaits this year, I was wondering how long you guys to expect spinnerbaits to last? I bought 6 or so this year, and only have 1 left that is in working condition.

I understand that with these things you gotta pay to play, especially with fish chomping on both the blade and body, or just hitting the blade.

BUT, I feel like I'm losing far too many blades. Even Terminator spinnerbaits are losing their blades sometimes on their first fish, or even being lost after getting caught on weeds!

Is there possibly something I'm doing wrong or are they really that weak?

Surprisingly I haven't lost any due to the entire wire breaking.

I went to BPS the other day, only to find out that replacing these blades aren't cheap! At 5 dollars a pop for a few blades, then I gotta buy the split rings and the ball bearing for them, I come to ask:

Any recommendations as to any quick fixes and or solutions to not lose so many blades?

Thanks in Advance.

How are the blades coming off? Are they working their way off thru the split ring or is something breaking? If somethings breaking you could customize them with better components right off the bat. If blades or swivels are working their way off the split rings, try putting a drop of crazy glue on the split ring. Just don't glue the blade or swivel in the process. I hate breaking lures. Id almost rather loose one to a snag than have it break. Falling apart after dozens of fish is one thing but just falling apart while doing its job??

The blades are breaking usually at the point where only the spinnerbait wire is left. Once in a while, I'll be left with one split ring.

I'll try the super glue stuff, but this upcoming time i guess I'm gonna start with some more expensive split rings and ball bearings.

Guest Johnny Bass

Usually happens on the more heavier spinner baits because some companies are cheap with the O rings. Usually replacing the O rings(thicker) or changing brands helps.

Edited by Johnny Bass

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i have had probs constantly losing skirts while chucking large spinner baits for northerns but i've never seen a blade come off. i'd definitely try some new brands.

BPS isnt' cheap on blades.....try a bulk order from cabelas or find a lure making catalogue

I like to tinker around wtih my blades...I always keep a box of various blades and a package of split rings in my spinnerbait box...sounds like you just need to replace the split rings....fairly cheap

sounds like the split ring is slipping out of the arm of the spinnerbait. as mentioned above you can try pinching it down or a piece of shrink tubing over it will cure your problem too.

i have had probs constantly losing skirts while chucking large spinner baits for northerns but i've never seen a blade come off. i'd definitely try some new brands.

Most effective fix I have found to combat this: take a piece of thin wire (I strip a garbage bag twist-tie down to the wire) and wrap it nice and tight around the base of the skirt, give it a few twists and clip off the extra. Virtually out of sight, doesn't impede the bait, and stays on wayyyyyy longer.

As for you, EC1...the only thing I was thinking, was whether or not you're tying directly to the bait, or using a snap swivel. Although, if you WERE using a snap swivel and it slid down the arm and ripped the blade off...you'd lose the whole bait that way too...so, prolly not what the problem is. Maybe Terminator and Booyeah have just started using cheaper components...I know I had one Terminator's wire actually break, and can't remember if my Booyeah has one blade or two on it right now unsure.gif

Nothin' wrong with an excuse to go lure shopping I guess...I have always been a fan of the Blue Fox spinnerbaits as well...nice blades, good components...never let me down.

Changed over to the Spro ball bearing and split rings today, will have to see whether they will last a bit longer.

I'm thinking that the spinnerbaits im using aren't the cheap stuff. I'm paying anywhere from 4 - 7 dollars for one.

Spinnerbaitking nailed it. Best spinnerbait. IMO is Nichols. I don't throw as many as I used to, but when I did it was them. I've had smallies nail it out of 20ft of water with no issues. Other brands shatter after a couple fish. Sounds like a christmas carol as they break apart mid air.

Edited by Harrison