Rude fishermen infringe on cottage enjoyment

FlyGuy5

Over the course of the 8 years I have owned my cottage I have found around 10 lures - one snagged on the swimming ladder attached to the dock, most snagged on the rocks in the shallow swimming area, a husky jerk snagged on the water line when I was taking it out for the winter, a tube jig inside the boat caught on the tow rope we use for skiing and tubing. I have heard my boat hit a couple of times from errant casts. Last weekend I actually watched a guy hit my kicker motor on my fishing boat with a spinner. I have been on my dock with my family and watched a guy trolling by about 15 feet in front of the dock and flick a cigarette into the water.

I have also found various pop cans, beer bottles, etc, floating around but this is as much an issue with pleasure boaters than it is with fishermen (probably more. Although I have watched Styrofoam worm containers fly out of boats and the people just ignoring them and leaving them in the water.

I have seen my neighbors 5 year old being carted off to the hospital with a barbed hook deep in her foot.

My friend across the lake whose property is a weedy bay that no one but a fisherman would ever be in actually came up one weekend to find someone had come ashore and taken a crap near his dock.

Now, having said all of this, I fish a ton. I rarely fish docks since, at least on the handful of lakes I regularly fish, I find them less productive. I realize most fishermen are conscientious and respectful. I don't feel I have more right to the water than those who are boating there. I do however have a different view of etiquette based on experience.

Look at it this way, you don't own the street in front of your house and it is perfectly legal for people to park there. However, if they park there and start throwing a baseball which occasionally hits your car, start chucking cigarette butts on the ground, relieve themselves on the edge of your driveway,(yes I have seen a guy take a leak a few feet away from my dock) and toss litter onto your lawn, you are probably going to be upset and would prefer people didn't do that, in fact, just didn't park there at all, even though it is their right.

Some very valid points indeed. I fish docks a ton but have never left a lure or anything else of that matter attached to one. I agree, if you dont have excellent lure control, dont cast random ones hoping to hit a target. Yes docks on certian lakes will hold fish better then natural structure. I will continue to do so but keeping that in mind, I will never fish in a swimming area, or while anyone is around and sometimes if its a good dock holding fish and I see the person I will usually do a quick asking if its ok. I rarely come into contact with a cottager as most people usually can tell if you are respectfull and it all boils down to common sense.

I do run into the odd cottager yelling and I keep going without saying anything as this usually works best. You move on, they get their feathers up and feel as if they scared me off but its usually left at that. I will say one thing though. I currently have a Kawarthas cottager charged for various reasons beyond my control as this person is an idiot. I own a cottage and like anything you will never get total compliance in any sport or activity and it will never change. People will be angry no matter what. Its how you go about dealing with it which is what matters. I tend to be the better man always and leave.

There was knowone near this floating dock, Wednesday afternoon and I was targeted by an ASS. He soon realized that his actions were wrong and is trying to get the charges dropped but he was charged by the OPP and not me. They are asses in every day life and it is what it is.

Treat others with respect on and off the water and things will be fine.

Over the course of the 8 years I have owned my cottage I have found around 10 lures - one snagged on the swimming ladder attached to the dock, most snagged on the rocks in the shallow swimming area, a husky jerk snagged on the water line when I was taking it out for the winter, a tube jig inside the boat caught on the tow rope we use for skiing and tubing. I have heard my boat hit a couple of times from errant casts. Last weekend I actually watched a guy hit my kicker motor on my fishing boat with a spinner. I have been on my dock with my family and watched a guy trolling by about 15 feet in front of the dock and flick a cigarette into the water.

I have also found various pop cans, beer bottles, etc, floating around but this is as much an issue with pleasure boaters than it is with fishermen (probably more. Although I have watched Styrofoam worm containers fly out of boats and the people just ignoring them and leaving them in the water.

I have seen my neighbors 5 year old being carted off to the hospital with a barbed hook deep in her foot.

My friend across the lake whose property is a weedy bay that no one but a fisherman would ever be in actually came up one weekend to find someone had come ashore and taken a crap near his dock.

Now, having said all of this, I fish a ton. I rarely fish docks since, at least on the handful of lakes I regularly fish, I find them less productive. I realize most fishermen are conscientious and respectful. I don't feel I have more right to the water than those who are boating there. I do however have a different view of etiquette based on experience.

Look at it this way, you don't own the street in front of your house and it is perfectly legal for people to park there. However, if they park there and start throwing a baseball which occasionally hits your car, start chucking cigarette butts on the ground, relieve themselves on the edge of your driveway,(yes I have seen a guy take a leak a few feet away from my dock) and toss litter onto your lawn, you are probably going to be upset and would prefer people didn't do that, in fact, just didn't park there at all, even though it is their right.

have never had anyone take a crap or litter on my dock (thankfully :-)), but i like this post.

Edited by cram

So there's this public sidewalk that runs right next to everyones front lawn. When a dog stops to take a dump on it I start looking to see if the homeowner is going to come out and yell at the dog's walker for the excrement left behind... but wait! The dog walker pulls out a bag and retrieves the waste like a responsible human being.

It's just a common sense people... don't leave a hook on someone's dock and be respectful to their property.

To you that means not even being there, because when they use a PWC or water ski you need to be going fast! They can use the water as well , just not so close. I have a cottage on a popular Kawarthas lake, does that mean we cant use it when fisherpeople are out. I fish 4 hrs a day 8-10 am and 8-10 pm. no traffic then..

It's fine to go fast, but you don't have to do it 10 ft from my boat.

I used the word SHARE, but apparently that can be twisted into something selfish... and actually to me "It means" just being respectful and aware of each others presence.

Edited by JBZ

Guest Johnny Bass

Johnny, thank you for your posts. There are many of us here that fish docks and do so politely, with the safety of others in mind. To be told that we are rude for doing so seems quite arrogant to me and their holier than thou attitude grows quite tiresome.

It is unfortunate that you got slammed so much throughout this thread and I applaud your efforts for trying to talk some sense into people. No matter how futile it may have been.

I think from all the posts of people that say they fish docks and the precautions they take to not leave/create any hazards for people speaks for itself.

AA.

Thanks for the support man. :thumbsup_anim:

I have a cottage on an off-the- grid lake. Every year I commit countless hours to cleaning up after negligent fisherman.

Heres some of the highlights:

- endless broken glass, much of it taken out of my feet

- A full trailor of garbage every season from campers who use my lake for fishing

- chemical waste

- Crudely made toilets. I don't enjoy cleaning up human feces but after getting the water tested it has been proven to make its way into the water

- tons of other stuff too.

Therefore, yes, i certainty do OWN my lake, 100 acres of waterfront and unofficially the water within it. If you have a problem with that, there are plenty of other lakes to fish.

I know most of the regular campers/fisherman, and I routinely share beers with them. The rest, I drive my boat right next to, and greet them, with the warning that if they leave garbage behind, there will be consequences.

Watch our for this dude!

This is my favorite quote from the article

Do these fishermen care more about the fish they hope to catch than the people who are trying to enjoy their time with family and friends at their cottage?

You Betcha!

FLAME ON

You know ... I never fail to be amazed by the lack of insight of a few of our members ... its enough to make me ashamed to be part of the fishing community.

How anyone can defend their right to intrude upon the RIGHTS of privacy to any landowner is beyond me. We all know your neighbor HAS EVERY RIGHT to plant a lawn chair one inch off your lot line, or on a sidewalk and face it right into your living room window ... but it would be simply RUDE and inconsiderate and will guarantee a neighbor who has no respect in turn for you - so why would you think that is ok to do it from a boat.

Using the need to catch that special fish from under someone elses dock or raft as an excuse to intrude on people's pleasure and enjoymenyt is simply that - an excuse. Get a life ! Just because you cant afford to own a piece of the waterfront doesnt make it ok to ruin it for those who do.

FLAME OFF

Be nice people - its alot more fun for everyone.

FLAME ON

You know ... I never fail to be amazed by the lack of insight of a few of our members ... its enough to make me ashamed to be part of the fishing community.

How anyone can defend their right to intrude upon the RIGHTS of privacy to any landowner is beyond me. We all know your neighbor HAS EVERY RIGHT to plant a lawn chair one inch off your lot line, or on a sidewalk and face it right into your living room window ... but it would be simply RUDE and inconsiderate and will guarantee a neighbor who has no respect in turn for you - so why would you think that is ok to do it from a boat.

Using the need to catch that special fish from under someone elses dock or raft as an excuse to intrude on people's pleasure and enjoymenyt is simply that - an excuse. Get a life ! Just because you cant afford to own a piece of the waterfront doesnt make it ok to ruin it for those who do.

FLAME OFF

I agree wholeheartedly, Jon.

FLAME ON

FLAME OFF

WELL SAID!

FLAME ON

FLAME OFF

Thank you for that Camillj.

Well said.

FLAME ON

FLAME OFF

I'm not sure if this is directed at all people fishing any docks or not but if it is give me a break pal. I only fish the docks that people aren't using and are no where near the water...what is the harm in that? I rarely fish a dock for more than a few minutes at a time then move on anyways, there are ways where everyone can enjoy the water.

Also I whole-heartedly disagree with this comment: "Just because you cant afford to own a piece of the waterfront doesnt make it ok to ruin it for those who do." I highly doubt anyone in their right mind fishes docks with the intent on ruining your experience because they can't afford a waterfront cottage of their own. Also many of us can easily afford a cottage but don't want to spend nearly every weekend in one spot. Maybe it's just the wording of your post but you come across as the type of person that comes storming out of his cottage to shoo the fishermen away. If you are I will quote you in your own words "Get a life!"

AA.

camillj is wrong and so is ctranter for that matter, johnny bass is an ambassadeur for canadian sportfishing and i would let him take a dump on my dock anyday, if the water is used appropriatly there should be no issues, how is it disrespectful to fish docks? get real :clapping:

FLAME ON

FLAME OFF

funny as a fisherman I think you should be ashamed ......they do not own the lake or the water under their dock

as most have said they do not fish them when people are on them........but the home owner has no more rights then the fishermen and with the new laws about harassing fishermen, the fishermen probably has more rights. so the maybe you are looking at it wring and you should thank the fisherman the bypasses your dock because you are on it...

but really it's a balancing act on both sides... the thought that the dock owner has more rights then the fisherman is only in your mind....

it's all personal opinions and like A holes everyone has one and that is all it is, if it's not the law it's just something you got into you head and only is important to you

I'm not sure if this is directed at all people fishing any docks or not but if it is give me a break pal. I only fish the docks that people aren't using and are no where near the water...what is the harm in that? I rarely fish a dock for more than a few minutes at a time then move on anyways, there are ways where everyone can enjoy the water.

Also I whole-heartedly disagree with this comment: "Just because you cant afford to own a piece of the waterfront doesnt make it ok to ruin it for those who do." I highly doubt anyone in their right mind fishes docks with the intent on ruining your experience because they can't afford a waterfront cottage of their own. Also many of us can easily afford a cottage but don't want to spend nearly every weekend in one spot. Maybe it's just the wording of your post but you come across as the type of person that comes storming out of his cottage to shoo the fishermen away. If you are I will quote you in your own words "Get a life!"

AA.

Actually, no I am not a cottage owner, but I am the kind of fisherman who places my respect for others above my own need to pursue any particular pleasure - especially if it is clearly at their expense. I am not suggesting that fishing a dock is wrong - but it is simply not good manners to intrude on any landowners privacy - whatever your activity - remember you can move - they can't - there is ALOT of public property (and water) to use freely without making a nuisance of yourself - and being all self-righteous about your right to do it - is exactly the attitude I am ashamed of.

Nuff said.

FLAME ON

FLAME OFF

Very, very well said.

Agree 10 000 %.

FLAME ON

FLAME OFF

lol...and if its convenient while your sitting on the sidewalk watching their television ...you could always buy a remote to change their channel to something you approve of ...(might be testing your luck to ask for popcorn though )

i built a cottage for a gent on the water and it tipped in at 700 k right on the beech in town here...his solution to not having to look at all the scantily clad women worshiping the sun on the main beech was to plant cedars along the property line ...i still dont know what his biggest loss is though ...not enjoying the sun setting into the water every night or ...missin out on all that flesh glistening in the sun...

Actually, no I am not a cottage owner, but I am the kind of fisherman who places my respect for others above my own need to pursue any particular pleasure - especially if it is clearly at their expense. I am not suggesting that fishing a dock is wrong - but it is simply not good manners to intrude on any landowners privacy - whatever your activity - remember you can move - they can't - there is ALOT of public property (and water) to use freely without making a nuisance of yourself - and being all self-righteous about your right to do it - is exactly the attitude I am ashamed of.

Nuff said.

"there is ALOT of public property (and water) to use freely without making a nuisance of yourself"

If they are not using the dock/water area at the time I fish it, please explain to me how I am making a nuisance of myself? Also how big of a bubble would you like us to give around a cottage? What if there is a good drop off just off the dock that holds nice fish and we fish that. Should we be 20 feet away...50 feet...500???

"and being all self-righteous about your right to do it - is exactly the attitude I am ashamed of."

You have got to be kidding me posting this after your last post about us ruining cottagers experiences because we "can't afford our own". I am not self-righteously making a nuisance of myself. The same goes for the majority of people fishing docks from reading this thread. Most of us ARE respectful of cottagers privacy and DO do our best to not impact anyone else's experience.

If anyone has a self-righteous attitude it is you sir...just because you don't think it right to fish docks doesn't mean it is wrong for anyone else to do it. EVERYONE can enjoy the water if they are mindful of others. It really doesn't matter what laws are in place or not, there will always be idiots that give the particular group they are in a bad name. It's sad but that's just the way it is...

AA.

I still think you guys have a twisted sense of god worship about water front property owners

ok

at the side of my house there is a public sidewalk..just like a public lake at the end of the cottagers property

now people have the nerve to not only walk and make noise right beside my property but carry glass bottles that could break and cut a childs foot, how could anyone walk that close to my property and do things that could hurt my family..and some days 1o or 12 kids ride skateboards inches from my house making nosie and if they fell the wrong way they could hurt my truck or car and they play music..now tell me you righteous waterfront cottage owners how is that any different then you and your dock

and I have never been upset or yelled at them or thought I had more rights then them because I own the house..so how is it different, why do you think that people should respect the water around your dock with is public property just like my house and the sidewalk next to it

they are wrong, no other way to put it, very bad attitudes indeed. unbelievable to be exact, if u r looking for your intellect to be stimulated on this site than u r one hurtin unit :stretcher: flame off and good fishin guys

I still think you guys have a twisted sense of god worship about water front property owners

ok

at the side of my house there is a public sidewalk..just like a public lake at the end of the cottagers property

now people have the nerve to not only walk and make noise right beside my property but carry glass bottles that could break and cut a childs foot, how could anyone walk that close to my property and do things that could hurt my family..and some days 1o or 12 kids ride skateboards inches from my house making nosie and if they fell the wrong way they could hurt my truck or car and they play music..now tell me you righteous waterfront cottage owners how is that any different then you and your dock

and I have never been upset or yelled at them or thought I had more rights then them because I own the house..so how is it different, why do you think that people should respect the water around your dock with is public property just like my house and the sidewalk next to it

i agree ...if you dont want to look at fisherman on the water ...dont buy the property...it goes part and parcel with the territory....Its alot easier to move yourself then to move your alleged water

:thumbsup_anim: Alphalpha...Spanky and the boys would be proud!

"there is ALOT of public property (and water) to use freely without making a nuisance of yourself"

If they are not using the dock/water area at the time I fish it, please explain to me how I am making a nuisance of myself? Also how big of a bubble would you like us to give around a cottage? What if there is a good drop off just off the dock that holds nice fish and we fish that. Should we be 20 feet away...50 feet...500???

"and being all self-righteous about your right to do it - is exactly the attitude I am ashamed of."

You have got to be kidding me posting this after your last post about us ruining cottagers experiences because we "can't afford our own". I am not self-righteously making a nuisance of myself. The same goes for the majority of people fishing docks from reading this thread. Most of us ARE respectful of cottagers privacy and DO do our best to not impact anyone else's experience.

If anyone has a self-righteous attitude it is you sir...just because you don't think it right to fish docks doesn't mean it is wrong for anyone else to do it. EVERYONE can enjoy the water if they are mindful of others. It really doesn't matter what laws are in place or not, there will always be idiots that give the particular group they are in a bad name. It's sad but that's just the way it is...

AA.

I'm not sure his points were targeted at you (or people with your opinion). You need to read through the thread.

ok

:thumbsup_anim::clapping::worthy::w00t::good::Gonefishing:

my emoticons dictate i clearly agree with terry.

Go ahead and sip your morning java off your dock that's over some prime water.. You'll see how tight I can skip my yamasenko.. The bigger your dock is, the more it's gonna attract fish. The more you infringe on our water access, the more likely the chance that we fish in what you consider is your space..