Georgian Bay Report

tdotfisherman

Hey all,

Went up north this past weekend to fish Georgian Bay with my buddy, one of the best fisheries in Ontario. Caught lots of Pike, Bass, and Catfish.

Didn't do that much fishing in general but I feel the need to make this report due to one special catch.

I've been questing after Northern Pike hard for the last few years, and its been a goal to catch a 40 incher. My best to date has been 33.5" out of Lake Ontario. I've caught hundreds and hundreds of Pike, but the majority have been hammer-handles.

Anyway, my persistance FINALLY payed off this weekened, after catching some normal sized Pike and few Bass, we decided to hit a weedy point that was near to deep water. I cast my large green Rapala into the weeds and BOOM, a huge hit. Once I saw the fish I knew it was a dandy. The fish fought hard, completely broke our net, and took both hands to lift into the boat.

Measurements were 40" even and probably about 18 pounds, if not more.

I finally did it, the 40" Northern Pike was caught.. and the best part about the whole experience is that the Pike was released healthy, he bolted off, and hopefully I can catch him again when he's 45 inches and 25 pounds!

What a thrill.. until next time G-Bay..

Enjoy the pics of the weekend..

CivicWeekend2.jpg

CivicWeekend6.jpg

CivicWeekend7.jpg

The Big Boy:

CivicWeekend5.jpg

CivicWeekend3.jpg

LOL ctdd2006! Hey I would gladly trade one of my big skis for a 40" pike catch! Around here, a 40" pike is just as hard to get as a 50" ski!

Last pic - good hold. With bigger pike/muskie you want to hold them horizontally and support them under the belly. Second last pic - vertical hold - not good for the fish, places tons of stress on the spine (think of being held in the air by your head with your entire body weight pulling down on it) and internal organs can also be damaged.

Wow! I am still questing for the 40" from my cottage on the Georgian Bay.... I've had a couple follows that I know where up there...... Were you guys right out on the bay? I only ever fish in the archipelagos.