Funeral Arrangements for Lake Nipissing are being made.

Muskieman

I am assuming that these restaurants are used to buying fish out of basket for two bucks lol.

Nobody is going to pay 14 dollars a pound now when they probably will still be able to buy them out of a cooler for much cheaper.

I am assuming that these restaurants are used to buying fish out of basket for two bucks lol.

Nobody is going to pay 14 dollars a pound now when they probably will still be able to buy them out of a cooler for much cheaper.

CORRECT!

OK I know nothing about this issue or the conditions on Nippising, so I am totally naive here, but can someone explain to me where it says that this will lead to more fish being harvested? I just read an article about better processing facilities and getting more fisherman to do business on the up and up so that the resource can be managed.

I would think that the amount of fish being harvested would if anything decrease because of this, or at worst stay the same. Please connect the dots for me if I am wrong.

OK I know nothing about this issue or the conditions on Nippising, so I am totally naive here, but can someone explain to me where it says that this will lead to more fish being harvested? I just read an article about better processing facilities and getting more fisherman to do business on the up and up so that the resource can be managed.

I would think that the amount of fish being harvested would if anything decrease because of this, or at worst stay the same. Please connect the dots for me if I am wrong.

...this previous post being the point! Those used to paying pennies on the dollar will continue paying pennies...and the "properly/legally" harvested and cleaned fish will find its way elsewhere! ...only an opinion! :dunno::whistling:

...this previous post being the point! Those used to paying pennies on the dollar will continue paying pennies...and the "properly/legally" harvested and cleaned fish will find its way elsewhere! ...only an opinion! :dunno::whistling:

That makes sense, but it still does not neccesarily mean more fish. If the issue is that there are too many fish being taken either through quotas or illegally, then THAT is the issue. But turning a previously black market fisherman into a legit one that can actually make a living off of the fish he sells is a good thing. It has to do with stewardship and making the people who are close to the resource "self policing". IE now you will have fisherman who were poaching before and are now making a good living snitching and/or using peer pressure to help prevent the unethical ones from selling $2 fish from a trunk.

I guess it is all in how you choose to see it. I see it as a positive. Then again, I started this by saying I was naive....

Mark, I see it as another "station" for those to cut, clean and bag fish to sell. There is no mention on the limit, per person, you can fish per day (hence the problem). There will be folks out there with the $2.00 a fish still as they "caught" a bunch and could be over the "limit" so they want to keep out of trouble so $2.00 a fish it is. Others can sit there and say, I have my limit so let's go get them cleaned up and sell it for more $. It's all in how people perceive things and what happens in the real world. Only time will tell but Randy is close to the area so he must have a better "picture" of what is really happening every day. All I can say is I hope these stations are closely monitored...

These type of threads make me laugh. So the First Nations folks are modernizing and setting up shop. So that they can sell some fish to us, the white man. Heck, if I was one of them and in the same situation I'd do the same thing. Who here can say that they wouldn't? They are just like you and me. They see a chance to make a few bucks and they go for it. Wanna see who's really ruining the planet? Go have a look in your closest mirror. Yup. It's you. And I. And everyone else that thinks that living the way we do is fine. We are poisoning this planet as I type. But Lord forbid that the First Nations folks are building a modern fish processing plant. They're gonna ruin everything. Unless we beat them to it. And I'm betting that we will.

These type of threads make me laugh. So the First Nations folks are modernizing and setting up shop. So that they can sell some fish to us, the white man. Heck, if I was one of them and in the same situation I'd do the same thing. Who here can say that they wouldn't? They are just like you and me. They see a chance to make a few bucks and they go for it. Wanna see who's really ruining the planet? Go have a look in your closest mirror. Yup. It's you. And I. And everyone else that thinks that living the way we do is fine. We are poisoning this planet as I type. But Lord forbid that the First Nations folks are building a modern fish processing plant. They're gonna ruin everything. Unless we beat them to it. And I'm betting that we will.

Very well said. They are pretty much damned if they do and damned if they don't. It seems strange that the same people who would criticize selling $2 fish, also criticize when they try to do it right with regs and limits. I guess they should leave all the fish for us to destroy.

very well written point...well taken too! Thanks.. (hamsters are spinning) I'm always open to smart and open debate and that was just that~ I still fear the "black market" commercial fisherpeople (or what they can do to our fisheries) and I guess maybe that's why I get my back up...don't get me wrong...I've been known to keep a nice eater limit of most species and will continue to do so while respecting our resources! and I'm the first to admit I've supported both sides of the argument financially (restaurant and market) and ....well....well...you win DAN. I stand corrected! Great argument! Being self employed I often employ the phrase "business is business" maybe I need to hear that in this case! Let's hope it works out!? :dunno: Cheers. Let's keep the faith in those claiming to want to sustain the fishery and hope they are strong enough the educate those that are too SELFISH to care.

Very well said. They are pretty much damned if they do and damned if they don't. It seems strange that the same people who would criticize selling $2 fish, also criticize when they try to do it right with regs and limits. I guess they should leave all the fish for us to destroy.

If that is directed at me, I don't know the situation there. All I am saying is I hope it is Monitored very well as there are many others closer to there then me reading and either posting or angry about it. I have NO say in what's going on there, just wondering and offered some possible insight or added to the confusion? If a man can make a buck in and honest manner then GO FOR IT!

If that is directed at me, I don't know the situation there. All I am saying is I hope it is Monitored very well as there are many others closer to there then me reading and either posting or angry about it. I have NO say in what's going on there, just wondering and offered some possible insight or added to the confusion? If a man can make a buck in and honest manner then GO FOR IT!

No not directed at anyone in particular. Just quoting the "$2 fish" for effect. I don't know the particular situation either, but I do know a thing or two about people from some parts of Canada, such as country folk or east coasters that have a hate-on for natives, and that clouds judgement. Not pointing any fingers and saying that is what happened here, but I think it can easily happen and we get into an "us vs them" mentality. All I can say to that is that they lived here for thousands of years and there was still fish when we got here. In the last maybe 100 years, we have managed to screw up just about everything.

And my original point was that taken at face value, the article is a positive one, and the plant should have a positive effect on the fishery, all things being equal.

They have increased their ability to process fish. They have different rules than the majority of citizens of the province. They will catch more fish, reducing stocks in an already stuggling lake. I have to return slot fish, they get to clean and sell them... so please someone tell me why this is a good thing. Be sure in knowing that this will not stop the $2.00 fisherman from selling his fish. It simply sets up a more "accepted" method of processing. It does nothing to help fish stock sustainability. :wallbash:

HH