Tributary Salmon

ctranter

If downtown Sault Ste Marie has taught me anything. Spawning chinooks will only hit buzzbombs. I've never seen fidelity to a single lure like the salmon run faithful there. Up a certain tributary of the st marys was the 1st place I've seen a shotgun used to angle. Makes me question Darwin sometimes...

1) The last time I drifted the Humber & Credit rivers for Kings I saw a guy running through the riffles chasing salmon with a sword. A flippin' SWORD!

2) Any GTA river will have hordes of goobers exactly 22 minutes after the first pod of Kings show up (I've timed it several times)

What he said, ofcourse there's times when the fish are seriously running the rivers or inbetween pods of running fish when the piers fall silent. The lower estuaries of rivers are probably the most reliable places to fish, and as a bonus flossing them is significantly harder when they have some depth to play with so the hordes of goobers generally leave the stretch of river between the pier and first few rapids alone. Chucking wobbling or rattling lures in the deep holes pick up plenty of fish, but drifting a hunk of skein under a float just off bottom can tempt the most tight lipped of salmon most of the time. Plus the mud sharks in the estuaries still have some water to play with and put up a better fight than shallow pools.

SalmonSkein.jpg

Learn how to tie an egg loop and pick up some skein. Most trollers will gladly give up some skein if you ask, so boat ramps with a fish cleaning station are a good place to score some free eggs.

i have some skeen from last year i made from a steelhead, is this good for salmon, that photo makes me think i should give it a sho this year

Big, nasty, smelly skein will work perfect... From what I've been told by a few guys that have had very good success doing this, is to not run the bait to deep. They've told me they've caught fish 1ft below the float out in the harbours... Something to think about.

Young William has learned his lessons well. :)

Just to rehash a few points that have already been made:

1.The only place I enjoy fishing for them is piers and estuaries.

Once they've run upstream you can have them.

2.Throwing lures like glow spoons and rattle baits are very effective especially so at night.

3.Keep your retrieve slow you'll get more hookups.

4.My favourite technique is drifting giant gobs of skein under a float.

5.Large is better. Anywhere from a Toonie sized to a chunk the size of a good sized plum.

6.For whatever reason the salmon love hot pink skein even in crystal clear water.

7.As Bill already mentioned it pays to run an extremely short lead under your float when angling off a pier. Especially if they're actively porpoising and rolling.

8.Bring a large net with a long handle to net your catch off the high pier walls. It never ceases to amaze me how many newbs come down unprepared.

Nothing like a fresh chinny smacking a float with a one foot lead off the peir(steelies close 2nd, lol). My fav is 3 to 4 inch glow in the dark tubes at night under the float when the arms are too tired of chucking spoons and fighting fish.

Edited by Harrison

Nothing like a fresh chinny smacking a float with a one foot lead off the peir(steelies close 2nd, lol). My fav is 3 to 4 inch glow in the dark tubes at night under the float when the arms are too tired of chucking spoons and fighting fish.

Who said what now about glow tubes?...Nothing to see here folks :whistling:;)

They're absolutely deadly underneath a float at night.

The last couple years I've been experimenting with glow marabou jigs beneath a float for my nighttime steelie hunts with some extremely deadly consequences (for steelies and chinnies that is)

Who said what now about glow tubes?...Nothing to see here folks :whistling:;)

They're absolutely deadly underneath a float at night.

The last couple years I've been experimenting with glow marabou jigs beneath a float for my nighttime steelie hunts with some extremely deadly consequences (for steelies and chinnies that is)

I have an issue with sharing stuff I figure out sometimes :huh: , but hey, hopefully some good folks might get into some fish if they try it.

But ya didn't have to elaborate, your just as guilty MJL... :D:thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Harrison

Thanks for the tip. :)

Funny, years ago I filmed a show with some gents and wouldn't pull out the tubes, a few years later and I share it with the whole interent. lol. (not that I invented it or anything)

You made and offer to me once solo, I am returning it now, let me know if you'd like to see it in action this fall.

Phil

Edited by Harrison

Funny, years ago I filmed a show with some gents and wouldn't pull out the tubes, a few years later and I share it with the whole interent. lol. (not that I invented it or anything)

You made and offer to me once solo, I am returning it now, let me know if you'd like to see it in action this fall.

Phil

Absolutely Phil, I'm looking forward to getting together with you and laying a beating on 'em.

Years ago we fished a river mouth at night out of a Canoe & had crazy Success with Ping A T Lures needs to be reeled in slow or it will flip up side down, try the ones with rattles skunk or clear with a soft green worked best

Richard

I still have a couple glow of Ping A T's in my pier aresenal, they don't work, never did, never will.

Going cheap at $25.00 a piece if you want them. ;)

I still have a couple glow of Ping A T's in my pier aresenal, they don't work, never did, never will.

Going cheap at $25.00 a piece if you want them. ;)

A tackle store was going out of business in London years ago, back behind the fair grounds some where & I bought 30 of them real cheap, still have lots & there not for sale, best night I ever had I caught 2 -18lb, 2 - 20lb & 1 - 24 lb Chinook out of the canoe & my buddy never caught One even gave him a few of my lures to try, fished til 5am

Richard

A tackle store was going out of business in London years ago, back behind the fair grounds some where & I bought 30 of them real cheap, still have lots & there not for sale, best night I ever had I caught 2 -18lb, 2 - 20lb & 1 - 24 lb Chinook out of the canoe & my buddy never caught One even gave him a few of my lures to try, fished til 5am

Richard

Well given that little bit of evidence to their productiveness Richard, $35.00. :D

No no no, I'm trying to sell mine for $35.00......LOL

I've got bad news

From OFC News Weekly

"Top economists suggest that the global market demand for Ping A T lures is on a continuously sharp decline. The lure company is in its final stage of its product life cycle and has gone from being a cash cow to a dog, according to the Boston Consulting Group (BCG). The global market price suggested by experts reveals that these lures should be sold at a fair market value price of $2.50 each. The price is expected to drop another 2 cents tomorrow with news that these lures must be retrieved incredibly slow or they will flip over and fail to work - A perceived product design flaw according to some anglers.

A recent interview with fishing mogul, MJL suggests that he is willing to purchase the entire stock at 10% higher than the suggested fair market value of $2.50. By doing so, he is in effect allowing Spiel Corp to progress his inventory management practices to something similar to that of Toyota’s just-in-time (JIT) management system. Spiel’s bottom line can only improve with such a transaction."

Sorry Chris, $35.00 won’t cut it in such a competitive market place without the demand :D

I've got bad news

From OFC News Weekly

"Top economists suggest that the global market demand for Ping A T lures is on a continuously sharp decline. The lure company is in its final stage of its product life cycle and has gone from being a cash cow to a dog, according to the Boston Consulting Group (BCG). The global market price suggested by experts reveals that these lures should be sold at a fair market value price of $2.50 each. The price is expected to drop another 2 cents tomorrow with news that these lures must be retrieved incredibly slow or they will flip over and fail to work - A perceived product design flaw according to some anglers.

A recent interview with fishing mogul, MJL suggests that he is willing to purchase the entire stock at 10% higher than the suggested fair market value of $2.50. By doing so, he is in effect allowing Spiel Corp to progress his inventory management practices to something similar to that of Toyota's just-in-time (JIT) management system. Spiel's bottom line can only improve with such a transaction."

Sorry Chris, $35.00 won't cut it in such a competitive market place without the demand :D

You are one witty character my friend. biggrin.gif

Best laugh I've had in days, perhaps weeks! thumbsup_anim.gif

I'll stand on my original price of $25.00