Status symbol?

I got one of them on ebay

paid under 400 bucks for it

I was sure there would be something wrong with it or I was only buying the box and instructions

but it was perfect in an unopened box...love it

LOL guys I have an appreciation for fine machinery myself, it doesn`t mean I am willing to spend that kind of money for it!

850? a week or more on the water or a new reel? going with more time on the water myself. I have yet to see a fish that was impressed by what it was caught on!

:wallbash: I got to start dating richer wimmins!

I really would like one of them too

I keep bidding on them but I keep getting out bid...I am looking for a super deal

I remember when you got your Calais Terry, wasn't long after that, that I decided to get the Calcutta.

Partially based on how impressed you were with your Calais.

Had mine shipped up from the states for $450.00 but I got dinged at the door for nearly another $80.00 in duty....... wallbash.gif

I too am addicted to high end tackle.

I have a Shimano Sustain on a G. Loomis GL3 rod. thats almost $600 for the combo...

is it a status symbol? I don't think so. other than a few hardcore tackle folks like us most people have no idea what stuff costs or its reputation for quality.

but it is totally awesome to fish with!

Won't tell you how much I paid for a 700B... it's embarrassing. I feel like I owe the dude a few more bucks...

Also got a bunch of Cardiffs, not a high quality reel but a decent reel, all lefties, perfect for me, all $64 a piece.

I'm happy.

I took a friend of mine that does not fish often fishing. I brought a spinning rod for him to use and found out on the water the bail screw was missing. :oops: I reached into the rod locker and retrieved a baitcaster and rod set up that was over $500.00 and adjusted it to beginner level. He picked it up and was casting like a pro minus 50% of the distance in no time. He hooked a few bass and was getting comfortable and said " man I would have got one of these years ago but everyone said they were really hard to use". I then reached into the box and handed him a $200.00 rod and reel set up adjusted to beginner level he spent the next 1/2 hour chasing overruns and knots. The lesson is quality does count and has a tangible outcome on tools and equiptment you use.

When I buy tools or equipment I don't ask the price till I know the fit and the feel are what I want. Then it is time to find a source that will give me the most bang for the buck. The real reason for this is what good is a less expensive tool if you prefer another one over it? I have since passed down all of my "settling for and not quite" combos to people getting into the sport and do not know yet what fits them perfectly. I have only one stipulation and that they must pass it on to someone for free and I am happy to say some of the combos are on their 3rd and 4th owners now.

Art

LOL Art, started of on Langley bait casters, so everything with in the last 40 years or more is a few steps up. I did like my Abu 5001c`s, but a real slow retrieve rate. Shimano 251`s? antiques of sort and in their day like the Abu`s a high dollar reel.

For ease of use? just about any of the Abu 500 series, a great reel for kids and women that don`t seem interested in learning how to use other tackle. Also an excellent reel to use in the dark, fool proof.

Just my view? instant anti reverse is nice, the star drag was a great addition. Probably 10 different kinds of Shimano reels dating back to the late 70`s and a half dozen different Abu baitcasters also. I have never really seen a baitcaster, lefty or righty I couldn`t use, just a preference for Abu and Shimano reels, history, no issues with them.

Guess I was lucky? baitcasters were all my dad had, and I had the desire to fish, so I learned how to use them.

LOL of course now my right hand has to sort of guess at what the left will do, but that also keeps things interesting!

No you were not lucky you just had a natural talent for baitcasters I personally use only baitcasters once I found out how to tame the beasts. I have quite a few of the Shimanos for musky on down to panfish and the big rods I decided on TICA reels. I am not a ABU fan the reels do not seem to me to have a drag system I like and the thumb bars are not left hander friendly. I am sure since the time I tried them they have improved and are a fine reel now but the problem is I have to break a TICA reel before I replace it and it just does not seem to happen.... If you make it out the Washington D.C. area I will be happy to get you out on the river and let you try all kinds of combos but be warned once you fish with a 6 oz rod and a 7 oz reel built for your hands you will be passing down your other combos as you replace them.

Art

...www.tackletour.com .... I know this site has been thrown around on here a few times... but check out the "show and tell" section.... Its a perfect site for the tackle "enthusiest" ...or the guy that wants to dream about spending his life savings on all the pretty, shiney, EXPENSIVE, high end gear !

Art thanks for the offer, really no plans to head for your area, been through there once long ago. A nice area, we went through the mountain down to Newport News and made it to Virginia Beach one day. I have like less than a zero interest in the ocean. 5 weeks in Florida last year and I went to see the gulf once, it was a mile from where I was staying.

My travel now is limited to exploring relocation destinations, Florida wasn`t a good fit for me. Looking at the Knoxville Tennessee area now, it seems like a better fit for me.

No hurry or need for me to upgrade tackle, I don`t fish much any more because of disability, and I do sort of have my own tackle shop. 40 ish rods and reels and they all work well enough for me.

LOL after steering 18 wheelers around for 20 years that didn`t have power steering you don`t notice a couple of ounces weight difference in a rod or reel much. The low profile design was more a matter of comfort and design for me than weight, I just preferred the thumbar over the old style spool release.