How many of you use "GULP" ?

alexcba

I get minnows at my local tackle shop for free, only thing is there dead. So I take em home and salt them put 2 or 3 dozen in a ziplock sandwich bag and away I go. Works just as good as GULP. But GULP is an awesome product use it all the time. Salted minnows on a jig and twister tail fool those walters all the time. By the way the minnows I get are free.

Man that is a good tip :good:. You are like that smart velociraptor in Jurassic Park that outwits the hunter who says "clever girl" before he gets eaten alive. Except you're a guy and human. :D

HAHAHA ! thats funny!

Love the stuff for bass. I use the 5 inch leeches.

5'' Leeches work great for Walleye too skin hooked on a jig head/nuckel ball jig ;)

as for the leaky containers I normally cut out a small X on the seal just big enough for me to pull a bait or two out.. and then put an elastic band around the bottom of the threads on the container seems to work well.. havnt really had any problems since! or you could store them In containers such as small peanut butter jars.. that dont leak. thats another thing I do

but hey.. what would I know ? haha

Yeah I hear people complaining about them leaking all the time but have never had a problem and then I realized it was because I left the foam/foil stuff attached and only peeled it back half way seals the lid completly I have a tub of 5" jerk shads that have been bouncing around in the boat for a couple years without leaking a drop I only use them for a trailer on buck tails for pike when the bite slows down so I don't go through very many but it's getting low so I have bought some packages and tossed them in the sauce so now I have a assorted bucket can't wait to toss some leeches to the smallies on LPB next weekend.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

in certain applications they are unbeatable. i have used them for walleye, lake trout and atlantics with success and see no reason why they wouldn't be equally as effective on any piscivorous predator.

I bought 2 dozen minnows last weekend and they all died on me within 12 hours. I changed the water a few times but it did not help any.

I would also like to hear others input on gulp..Its the same price as 2 dozen minnows

Get a battery operated air pump and your live minnows will stay that way although 12 hours is a stretch. As for Gulp Alive, haven't tried it. Gulp in the bag does work that I know.

I use gulp alive for perch & crappies, very successful. I must admit I always buy minnows. If the bite is good I'll switch to gulp alive, the bite may slow down a bit, but, I still catch fish. If the bite is slow I'll use live minnows & gulp alive to see what is working. They do have a problem of leaking smelly juice in the boat so I store the small bottles of 1" & 2" minnows in a sealed tupperware container. Also put some of my other small plastics in the jar of gulp juice.

How are you handling/storing your live bait? You probably are doing everything right, but just to be sure...Leave your minnows sealed up with oxygen in the bag from the baitstore until the last possible minute. Keep it out of the sun and cool until you get to the lake. Once there, transfer your minnows into a decent trolling bucket and keep them in the lake as much as possible. When the bite is on and you're in there every few minutes, it's tempting to leave them on the deck of the boat. A half an hour in the hot sun is all it takes sometimes to start killing 'em.

-

Sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know.

If and when I use minnows whether its ice fishing or walleye fishing and I dont have an airator 90% of the time I throw a 2''layer of Snow or multiple packed snow balls in the bag/ bucket. Ice works. and as the snow/ice melts it releases oxygen.. a good fishing partner taught me that (my Grandpa) and well I'll be honest when I show up to the fishin hole with my 1-2 dozen minnows in my little garbage pail they are all still alive.. where as my buddies who have a minnow bucket/airator theres are all half dead! and well thats why I prefer to buy the minnows !

but now that I have learned and experienced the gulp products I normally dont buy to many minnows.. mostly for ice fishing (tip ups/and simcoe pin heads) and the odd trip up north just north of Sudbury. just so that the local boys dont chirp me to much on using gulp over live bait :P

I don't use soft plastics often but when I do, it's Gulp Alive.

My biggest complaint is storing them but it seems Berkley has comme up with a solution.

A Gulp Alive storage tray that will fit into tackle bags/boxes much like a Plano 3700. It has a double seal and just survived 1100KM trip in the car and a boat ride without losing a drop while being store on end. It does work.

IMG00377.jpg

Two tips for you;

Just when you think it's closed, it's not. It has a double seal. Snap the lid closed firmly all the way around and really push hard to make that second seal.

If you just want one of the compartments, the snap out from the back of the tray.

They're not cheap at $18 but neither is Gulp Alive. Protect your investment.

My biggest complaint is storing them but it seems Berkley has comme up with a solution.

A Gulp Alive storage tray that will fit into tackle bags/boxes much like a Plano 3700. It has a double seal and just survived 1100KM trip in the car and a boat ride without losing a drop while being store on end. It does work.

IMG00377.jpg

Two tips for you;

Just when you think it's closed, it's not. It has a double seal. Snap the lid closed firmly all the way around and really push hard to make that second seal.

If you just want one of the compartments, the snap out from the back of the tray.

Be nice if they provided a non leaking container for the product in the first place! :whistling:

you didnt know?rofl2.gifrofl2.gif can be done very easily at home!pm me and i will send you the recipe.rofl2.gif

So how long from breeding to breading. I'd think you'd want to grow 'em up a bit to make the eating worthwhile? :thumbsup_anim:

JF

IMG00377.jpg

Two tips for you;

Thats a sweet box for your gulps, worth every cent if you ask me,not only does it protect your baits but you have a nice seletion all in one convient box.It sure beats having to tote around multiple jars and tubs

Thats a sweet box for your gulps, worth every cent if you ask me,not only does it protect your baits but you have a nice seletion all in one convient box.It sure beats having to tote around multiple jars and tubs

agreed ! I have been eye-balling these for a while now.. and Im thinking its about time to pick one up