Camp Shower

Fishnwire

I want to be able to take a hot shower at camp. My buddy stayed at a fly-in resort last year and told me they had little outdoor showers that pumped water from the lake, heated it with a propane on-demand hot water heater, and away you go.

-

Does anyone know who sells such units, or where I could go to look at them? Also, any idea how much $ I'm looking at for this little luxury?

Thanks.

In the summer time a plastic barrel painted black on a pedastal will work, pump from the lake let the sun heat it up all day and you're money. Gravity feed down to the shower.

They also sell "shower bags" heavy duty black plastic bags you fill and hang same princple. If its cool then you just boil some water to augment these. Cheap fixes, for me camp isn't about the luxuries. 6mm plastic, some saplings, a metal bucket and some hot rocks = camping sauna.

I'm pretty sure I paid more than that direct from the company Vance... actually double last fall to be exact! :wallbash:

But it works GREAT... mind you summer time, I'd just be jumping in the lake!

PM Solopaddler fishnwire.. he had one he doesn't use anymore.

Feb15to22nd2010023.jpg

I was just looking at that one. The price seems reasonable, but I want one that runs off a 20 gallon propane tank and I want it to include a 12 volt pump so that the water comes right out of the river, into the heater, and onto the showeree...no carrying or filling of bags or buckets.

-

Without getting too graphic...it's my Father-in-law who, after successfully battling prostate cancer, is a little "sensitive" in certain areas, and requires a hot shower every day or two to keep from being irritated and sore. In the past he cut short trips to camp because the need to get cleaned up became overwhelming. I'd like to see him be able to stay for longer stretches of time up there. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll use it too, but if it was just me I wouldn’t bother.

If you look in my picture... you'll see that I converted to a 12volt x 360 GPH bilge pump. This is all you need to pump from the lake fishnwire.. and is an option direct from the company that comes complete with the hose adapter.

You can hang the heater from the metal hoop (like a colman lamp) and use an adapter to hook to a 20 gallon tank.

Thanks Irishfield. But do you still have to hang the heater above your head, or does the bilge pump in the tank push the water through the heater with enough force to lift the heated water to the height of a shower head? Do you understand what I'm asking?

--

This one looks like it would do the job, but it's probably more than I want to spend.

http://www.zodi.com/web-content/Consumer/zodix40shower.html

Edited by Fishnwire

Not sure what kind of a set up you have for the shower but we just use one of these on the flyin.

Solar Shower

More then hot enough when left in the sun for an hour or so. It can get too hot. Holds enough water for few quick showers. Does a great job for $10. I believe we got it ours at Canadian Tire a couple of years ago.

you don't need to hang anything the way Wayne did it

you could hang the shower head but we just held on and pointed it where needed..

I thought Wayne had photos of someone using it????????????????LOL

OH wait what happens at camp..stays at camp

never mind

LOL

I think that big one is overkill fishnwire. Keep in mind... any of them can only raise the water a certain amount. We were scooping lake water (32F) and letting it come up to room temp.. and then would get a nice shower. So if the lake is in the 60's you're golden.. if not.. you'll want to use a container that you can precirculate some water in with the heater running... to raise the temperature.

..and yes the bilge pump will pump to a normal shower head height... I mentioned hanging the heater as you wanted to use a 20lb tank that would be connected by a hose. The one I am showing is held up by the 1 lb cylinder!.. otherwise you have to hang it.

..and Lloyd deleted that shot, that I took for Joey, Terry...

Edited by irishfield