Darryl Cronzy

addymark

I always enjoy watching Chronzy's show, and I can't help to think that if Don Cherry got into fishing rather than hockey, he would be Darryl Cronzy.

One thing that kills me every show is when he does his recipe bit. This morning I saw him pour a cup of melted butter on fish, potatoes, and onions. "He took a bite and said no calories, no cholestorol. Don't worry about clogging those arteries and all that."

didn't he have a heart attack??

and even if he didn't, his nutritional advice, although hilarious is not accurate

The guy is awsome but he put two cups of salt in his last recipe!! I always thought chefs on the food network put a lot of salt on their food but TWO CUPS! Guys has a great show and I love listening to his rants but don't think I'll be taking any of his recipes down any time soon

I always thought chefs on the food network put a lot of salt on their food but TWO CUPS!

I'm assuming it was a Gravlax recipe?

Gravlax fish is cured in salt/sugar usually in a 50/50 ratio...very tasty

Not great for the heart but after you remove the salt/sugar, and slice....dude its awesome

I sometimes gravlax salmon, or Steelhead fillets for 4-5 days until firm, rinse then marinate in pure Maple Syrup for 3 days, pat dry and hit the cold smoker for 6 hours.

Its to die for brother, and well worth the Heart attack LOL!

I'm assuming it was a Gravlax recipe?

Gravlax fish is cured in salt/sugar usually in a 50/50 ratio...very tasty

Not great for the heart but after you remove the salt/sugar, and slice....dude its awesome

I sometimes gravlax salmon, or Steelhead fillets for 4-5 days until firm, rinse then marinate in pure Maple Syrup for 3 days, pat dry and hit the cold smoker for 6 hours.

Its to die for brother, and well worth the Heart attack LOL!

I hear ya Cookslav. I usually make it a couple of times a year. I always make lots for large gatherings but there's never any leftover. 4-5 days you say then 3 more days in maple syrup??? I only marinate mine for 48 hours or so in sugar, salt, cracked pepper (lots) and bunches of fresh dill some lemon slices and very little cognac.

Oh ya...

I like it when its firm and dry.

I'll flip it an re-apply the gravlax once a day just to ensure its FULLY cured.

Then a quick pat dry to remove the granulars, and 3 days in Maple to sweeten it up.

You could shave the time if your fillets are thinner I suppose?

I try to use a good 1.5' or 2" fillet when ever I can :thumbsup_anim:

I should mention that useing this method, and time frame you can expect your fillet to shrink

Litterally to half it's size.

I love it!

I just find the 4 day Salt/sugar cure makes a full penetration, and seasons the center of the meat perfectly.

The 3 days in Maple pulls a lot of the "salty" out, but leaves the texture intact, and just seems to balance the flavor of salt, and smoke perfectly when done.

I prefer an Alderwood smoke as well, but Apple is nice when Alder is not available.

I slice it up and serve it with Corn shoots, pea tedrils, cilantro sprouts, and drizzel it with

lemon/chili infused olive oil and finish it with orange balsamic reduction, and lumpfish caviar

As an appetizer in my restaurant....its killer!

But I agree with your method....

A strait up Gravlax with dill, onions, and standard pickling spice

Sliced with fresh lemon...Oh my that is good stuff as well!

Cheers,

Oh ya...

I like it when its firm and dry.

I'll flip it an re-apply the gravlax once a day just to ensure its FULLY cured.

Then a quick pat dry to remove the granulars, and 3 days in Maple to sweeten it up.

You could shave the time if your fillets are thinner I suppose?

I try to use a good 1.5' or 2" fillet when ever I can :thumbsup_anim:

I should mention that useing this method, and time frame you can expect your fillet to shrink

Litterally to half it's size.

I love it!

I just find the 4 day Salt/sugar cure makes a full penetration, and seasons the center of the meat perfectly.

The 3 days in Maple pulls a lot of the "salty" out, but leaves the texture intact, and just seems to balance the flavor of salt, and smoke perfectly when done.

I prefer an Alderwood smoke as well, but Apple is nice when Alder is not available.

I slice it up and serve it with Corn shoots, pea tedrils, cilantro sprouts, and drizzel it with

lemon/chili infused olive oil and finish it with orange balsamic reduction, and lumpfish caviar

As an appetizer in my restaurant....its killer!

But I agree with your method....

A strait up Gravlax with dill, onions, and standard pickling spice

Sliced with fresh lemon...Oh my that is good stuff as well!

Cheers,

this sounded dee-lish!

Seems Daryl is doing okay, I saw this in the comment section of the TO Sun this morning.

Young teachers’ dilemma

Re “Union still hysterical over Harris” (Christina Blizzard, June 11): Elementary Teachers’ Federation President Sam Hammond should look in the mirror and see the real enemy of our school kids today. It’s time to get off Mike Harris’ back and address the real problem. Young people graduate with a teaching degree and have no jobs because the Teachers’ Federation guaranteed retirees a cushy pension — and allows them to fill in as supply teachers while new teachers are left out in the cold with their dreams shattered. Too bad Harris didn’t rein in the teachers’ unions.

Darryl Choronzey

Owen Sound

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Seems Daryl is doing okay, I saw this in the comment section of the TO Sun this morning.

Young teachers’ dilemma

Re “Union still hysterical over Harris” (Christina Blizzard, June 11): Elementary Teachers’ Federation President Sam Hammond should look in the mirror and see the real enemy of our school kids today. It’s time to get off Mike Harris’ back and address the real problem. Young people graduate with a teaching degree and have no jobs because the Teachers’ Federation guaranteed retirees a cushy pension — and allows them to fill in as supply teachers while new teachers are left out in the cold with their dreams shattered. Too bad Harris didn’t rein in the teachers’ unions.

Darryl Choronzey

Owen Sound

And I thought his educational background was in fisheries biology with a minor in the culinary arts... I guess he's got a masters in economics as well?

:blahblah1: