Aurora Trout Pictures.

TJQ

I finally have the content ready for my Aurora Trout site!! but I need some pictures. If anyone has any puictures of this wonderful elusive fish that I can add to the site please post them here if you like. If ya want ill give ya photo credits!!

No pics T.J. but I have seen quite a few caught back in the 1990s. There is a lake in Esker Lakes Prov. Park just east of Kirkland Lake that has Aurora Trout in it. I think the lake is only open for 2 days of the year but I have seen quite a few come out of it.

Hey TJ,

I'd be interested in learning more about the Aurora Trout. From my brief research, I've learned that they were extirpated from the wild and hatchery produced for some decades and have been reintroduced to the wild.

Apparently, another die-off of Aurora trout is happening again now due to acidic rain and high acid levels in lakes (despite the introduction of lime to the same lakes).

Is this fish just doomed? Can it possibly thrive in our lakes? I see there have been some documentations of natural reproduction.

Also, is the Aurora Trout also a char like the brookie?

Ryan

I don't remember where I read/heard this but apparently some guy had a brood stock of these at his hatchery and was about to scrap them. But later found out that they were actually extirpated so he kept them. They are the most beautiful fish in Ontario in my opinion!

I assure every disrespectful fishermen on this board that not only do Aurora trout not exist but the locations people have so dutifully doled out are also bogus.

I do get a good chuckle every time the pic of the short shorts dude holding that Speckie is posted though :thumbsup_anim:

I assure every disrespectful fishermen on this board that not only do Aurora trout not exist but the locations people have so dutifully doled out are also bogus.

I do get a good chuckle every time the pic of the short shorts dude holding that Speckie is posted though :thumbsup_anim:

what the heck are you talking about

the MNR stocked lakes with them with pure strain Aurora trout

Open Lakes For Aurora Trout in Ontario

Subject to changes without Notice

Aurora Trout

Fish Finder-61.gif Photo: Peter Sale Features: The Aurora Trout (Salvelinus fontinalis timagamiensis) is a unique genetic stock of the Brook Trout. It is so-named because the colours of its sides are purple. It lives in a few,remote, high- elevation lakes in the Temagami District of Ontario.

Range: The Aurora Trout was originally found in two lakes in the Montreal River system, a tributary of the Ottawa River in Ontario. The Aurora Trout has been reintroduced into both lakes where it originally occurred. The fish are now reproducing naturally in one of these lakes. Populations have also been established in some new lakes. The Brook Trout is widespread in North America. Range Maps

Threats: The Aurora Trout was extirpated in its natural range due to acid rain and other forms of pollution which disrupted reproduction. Low pH from acid precipitation and runoff is a continuing threat to the Aurora Trout in the wild.

Protection: The Aurora Trout is listed under Ontario's Endangered Species Act, 2007, which protects the species in its original lakes from being killed, harmed, captured, or possessed. Aurora Trout have been maintained in captivity by the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources since they were extirpated from the wild. Reintroduction back into the original lakes, in combination with the addition of lime to the water to neutralize the pH of these lakes, has allowed the population to establish and breed there. In some lakes there is limited fishing allowed. The recovery of Aurora Trout is being guided by the Aurora Trout Recovery Strategy

Lake Nam

I think you need to do some reading

unless they have fooled us all, which I find hard to believe

Edited by Terry

what the heck are you talking about

I think you need to do some reading

unless they have fooled us all, which I find hard to believe

Main Entry: fa·ce·tious

Pronunciation: \fə-ˈsē-shəs\

Function: adjective

Etymology: Middle French facetieux, from facetie jest, from Latin facetia

Date: 1599

1 : joking or jesting often inappropriately

Sorry, I know Aurora info is readily available but I'm of a mind that the info is better looked for by the curious rather than stumbled upon by the white bucketeers.

12 lakes have Aurora trout present. Whirligig and Whitepine were the original two lakes with 10 other lakes now stocked with them, bringing the total to twelve. These lakes rotate open seasons(except the orginal two) as you will read on TJ's new site...

TDunn