Downrigger, manual or electric?

linweir

Hi guys

Great lake Salmon season is coming. Plan to install downrigger stuff on my boat. Wonder if it's really big different between manual type and electric type? Someone said yes.

I have a pair of used Cannon manual downriggers in storage. I am thinking if it's worth to purchase expensive electric one?

Hi guys

Great lake Salmon season is coming. Plan to install downrigger stuff on my boat. Wonder if it's really big different between manual type and electric type? Someone said yes.

I have a pair of used Cannon manual downriggers in storage. I am thinking if it's worth to purchase expensive electric one?

When I was 38 or so, I started with a Scotty manual, had good strength, no problem, up and down was more of a annoyance than work. About 10 years ago I went with one more electric, alone in the boat, steering, reeling and cranking and netting..no I'm not an octopus, good move. Last year I found one more orphaned Scotty electric, no effort, pop the release, balls up, auto shutoff. If I knew then what I know know, it would have been electric from the start. I know, a bit more dollars, a few less beer and pizza and poof, an electric riggers shows up.

a few less beer and pizza .

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHERE YOU ARE POSTING THIS HORRIBLE ADVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No a few less diapers and groceries....com'on man get your priorities straight! :rofl2::tease::tease::devil::devil:

BTW electric is the way to go if you can afford it.

I bought two manual riggers about five years ago...merely a financial decision. I wish now I had at least one electric rigger for active days or as Irish said when you want to get balls up quick...it depends on the type of partner you have when you're steering, fishing and re-rigging. In my case one electric is going to make its way on board soon! Good luck.

I have never fished anything but electric.

So one day when I grow up and can finally afford my own boat, I could not imagine going anything else but.

The benefit I found was if you are set to say 80 feet and you start marking at 55, just a turn of a switch will have you in that zone, increasing your odds of a strike.

I also support the Scotty electrics, but that is all I have ever down rigged with

Another thing to consider is the ease of installing manuals,you bolt them on and go, where as electrics may require some wiring. That being said, I have 2 electrics and I'm no hell when it comes to wiring but Its real easy to wire a 12v downrigger to your battery or board. And if you're fishing a 12# ball down 80 feet out on Lake Ontario your gonna be tired when you get that sucker up!

I have fished electric riggers and manual. Fishing the Great Lakes, you got to go with electrics. When fishing anywhere from 30ft down to 110ft electrics are a blessing. I would avoid the pancake style weights, and don't go with anything less than 10#, if you can go with 12, this will avoid blowback. Some guys go with even 20# weights but that is overkill, and if your riggers are not meant for something that heavy, you'll burnout your downrigger motor, and they are not cheap to maintain.

Other things to consider is boom length, swivel bases, and speed of the rigger.

Welcome ot the addiction, feel free to pm if you need more info.

Electrics are great, especially on structured lakes when you see your depth jump from 140 to 30 FOW! That said when it comes right down to it I still actually prefer my manuals when it comes to making small depth changes.

The 140 trough,LOL.to 80 ftow.I will remember that one irish.Follow the birds and youll see,LOL.Good times.As one told me.Not you.

If you're fishing the Great lakes, electrics are the only option. Imagine hooking into a 30lb salmon and he decides he wants to take you to Toronto and then at the flip of a switch he turns and head towards Rocehster....you and your partner don't have the time to be fidling with cranking a manual downrigger. I had manuals (way back in the 1996) and that was a big mistake. I currently have Scotty Pro Packs and they are sweet. As for making small (tiny) adjustments, the Scotty's make those at the touch of a button.

I started with manuals 4 years ago and just upgraded to electrics, save yourself money and just get the electrics right away! I prefer big jons, not as bulky as the scotties, as I frequently take them on and off the boat

Good call on the electric. I have lost a few too many large fish not being able to get the cannon ball up in time when fishing 100ft + and only one or two guys on board.

This was not in my boat, because I have electric and would advise nothing else.

Cheers.

i've used the big 4, scottys, cannons, big jons and walkers...

by far, scotty is my favorite...

Ease of use, Autostop, extendable boom, tip up, parts readily available at canadian tire... are the reasons why

bulky yes, but very user friendly

i've got 2 walker electrics (1 with temp sense) and 1 manual walker... i'd trade them for the scottys anyday...

Used several different makes and I would only get Cannons now...the one nice thing about the manual Cannons you said you have in storage is they can EASILY be converted to electric downriggers by just adding on the motors.

I also think Cannon makes the best Planer Board Boom out there......

Bob