North Of Superior Brook Trout ~ A True Adventure

solopaddler

Nice to hear it wasn't just us when it came to the tough bite!

Not a trace of a bug when we were there bud. Either biting bugs or any sign of life in the water.

It was freakin' cold!

Sounds like you had to same results as I did on opener Mike..... Tight lip is an understatement :( I only seemed to be hooking into one at a time from shore this year for some unexplained reason :wallbash:

May 13th was the new moon, and opener was April 3rd.... maybe it had an influence on the specks bite :dunno:

All I can say is that you guys sure got into some tough terrain getting to your gem lake and appreciate the effort you put into this report.... Heck them beauties in the pics looks similar to the ones we catch in lake X up here B)

Here's the one I caught last weekend when we had the snow fall

IMGP2193.jpg

Congrats to all involved and and thanks for sharing your adventure with us :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Jacques

Edited by Leechman

If Bill had caught some fish maybe he would be in the photos. :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Sorry Bill, couldn't help it!!! :tease::tease::tease:

I think you could count the fish I caught on one hand!!! Was fighting a cold the entire time, not my best showing :) Although I did manage a couple.

However I'm fairly certain that's me infront of the fire guzzling some Heineken (but don't tell Mike, I wanna see what I look like framed on his wall)

:)

Great trip boys, I'm sure we'll be into the thick of things next year..

Thanks for that Solo. Man I gotta get back to my Lake X in LSPP. Gotta walk through 25K of overgrown logging road to get to it but like your lake well worth the effort to get there. If any one wants to know which lake Its Jungle Lake look it up and nice trecking PS you'll need a belly boat no way you can haul a canoe in.Your an inspiration Solo and obviously Bill didn't catch anything worth taking a photo of. Ah to have crows wings.

An excellent synopsis of our trip (as usual) Mike! I think that I've looked at our pictures a few dozen times since we've been back and they instantly transport me back up there and I'm always left with a smile on my face.

Brook Trout are (hands-down) my favourite sport fish and have been since I was a boy. Even though we only caught a mere fraction of what we should have, just holding one of those big lake-dwelling fish is magical (the dumb grin on my face of me holding the first fish of the trip just about sums it :lol: )

It seems like the challenges that we faced were never ending. Besides the ones that you listed (the tough bite, the cold, the never ending gale-force winds, the portage from hell), you forgot to mention the blown tire on the way home. After driving through the night (again) we blew a tire somewhere between Sudbury and Parry Sound, just before dawn. I for one almost cried when I heard that tire let go as the last thing I wanted to do was to leave the warm truck and wrestle with a jack and a spare in the sub-zero temperatures. Despite all of this, I'm a firm believer that life is a journey not a destination and I throughly enjoyed every minute of it.

So, Pukaskwa in September???? B)

I think you could count the fish I caught on one hand!!! Was fighting a cold the entire time, not my best showing :) Although I did manage a couple.

However I'm fairly certain that's me infront of the fire guzzling some Heineken (but don't tell Mike, I wanna see what I look like framed on his wall)

:)

Great trip boys, I'm sure we'll be into the thick of things next year..

Bill was indeed battling a cold. He's a freakin' trooper though! :lol:

Thanks for that Solo. Man I gotta get back to my Lake X in LSPP. Gotta walk through 25K of overgrown logging road to get to it but like your lake well worth the effort to get there. If any one wants to know which lake Its Jungle Lake look it up and nice trecking PS you'll need a belly boat no way you can haul a canoe in.Your an inspiration Solo and obviously Bill didn't catch anything worth taking a photo of. Ah to have crows wings.

You're very welcome.

Jungle lake eh? Let me write that down. :)

An excellent synopsis of our trip (as usual) Mike! I think that I've looked at our pictures a few dozen times since we've been back and they instantly transport me back up there and I'm always left with a smile on my face.

Brook Trout are (hands-down) my favourite sport fish and have been since I was a boy. Even though we only caught a mere fraction of what we should have, just holding one of those big lake-dwelling fish is magical (the dumb grin on my face of me holding the first fish of the trip just about sums it :lol: )

It seems like the challenges that we faced were never ending. Besides the ones that you listed (the tough bite, the cold, the never ending gale-force winds, the portage from hell), you forgot to mention the blown tire on the way home. After driving through the night (again) we blew a tire somewhere between Sudbury and Parry Sound, just before dawn. I for one almost cried when I heard that tire let go as the last thing I wanted to do was to leave the warm truck and wrestle with a jack and a spare in the sub-zero temperatures. Despite all of this, I'm a firm believer that life is a journey not a destination and I throughly enjoyed every minute of it.

So, Pukaskwa in September???? B)

I didn't mention the blown tire, but yeah it was a pita. :lol:

I'm getting too old for those all night driving marathons with no sleep.

I know a set of floats that would look real sweet tailed up on that sand beach... :whistling::D

Uh...Wayne, think again.

The plane would look waaaay better tied up to the dock on the brook trout lake! :lol:

Edited by solopaddler

Nice job, and great account of the trip,

With that wind its nice to hear you got the boat out...that would have been tough in the canoe.

What baits were producing not that I plan on being any where near Superior soon, but curiousity is a funny thing :whistling:

Cheers,

and thanks again!

What baits were producing not that I plan on being any where near Superior soon, but curiousity is a funny thing :whistling:

Cheers,

and thanks again!

We caught a smattering of fish on a variety of hardware.

As mentioned in the report though the most consistent bite was on a simple hook, worm and split shot dragged slowly across the bottom.

The fish were definitely neutral and hunkered down on the bottom.

Nice job, and great account of the trip,

With that wind its nice to hear you got the boat out...that would have been tough in the canoe.

Cheers,

and thanks again!

It would have been brutal trying to fish from a canoe in that wind. The old aluminum boat needed some serious repairs to fix a six inch slash in the bottom, not to mention a missing plug. I spent close to an hour repairing it with foam (from my sleeping pad) and good old duct tape - it was worth it though as the patching kept most of the water out and we only had to bail it every few hours.

As Mike mentioned, the best success came on fat dew worms (on a bare hook with split shot or on a jig head). We only took a few fish on spinners and spoons and I got one on a small Perch Shad Rap.

Mike,

I just read this now. GREAT report. All three of you gentlemen are troupers! That is about as far from "fairweather fishermen" as you can get.

Thanks for the post and I love your "hardcoreness"!!

What can ya say abooot that eh!?!?

Ya do it all Mike. And ya do it all well. Great trek... but your trip gave me the shivers. Those specks are beauties. Did surely miss Bill in that one. lol.

Now what? On to Attawapiskat? Up to the cottage? Off into the boonies again?

Thanks everyone!

Now what? On to Attawapiskat? Up to the cottage? Off into the boonies again?

Well we sold our house the week before this trip with a June 25th closing.

I'm currently trying to find a house for us to live in and packing.

Supposed to leave June 12-19 for the Attawapiskat....and I will. If we've purchased a house by then.

If not. :dunno:

It's house hunting for me 'till I do.

Likely won't have much time to spend up at the camp 'till after we're settled in July.

My dad opened it for me last week when I was up north.

Hooked up the water, got everything running.

Then boom, 1 night of cold weather and all the damn water lines burst. :lol:

Ah well.

When I do get up there the first thing I have to do is replace all the plumbing.