Centerpinning for carp

tonka

I just got a pin recently and didn't get much steel action so I decided to try my luck with carp but realized I have no idea how to rig it. Also how to I stop the pin from freely spinning if I put the rod on a rod holder?

Thanks

Tony

I just got a pin recently and didn't get much steel action so I decided to try my luck with carp but realized I have no idea how to rig it. Also how to I stop the pin from freely spinning if I put the rod on a rod holder?

Thanks

Tony

no idea how to rig but as for the spinning freely does the reel not have a clicker?

never fight a fish with the clicker engaged but I'm sure you won't have any issues if a carp goes on a small run before you get to the rod holder....I've used an elastic band to hold the spool in place, loop it around the rod and then over your spool handle, the carp can still take line out on a fast strike

Honestly, if the carp takes off consider yourself lucky that you didn't have to set the hook. Just make sure you have enough line.

And what kind of setup are you going for? Top water? Simple bread or corn floating on top will work from what I've been told, but I haven't tried it yet. I usually just use corn on bread on bottom with a sinker.

Edited by TC1OZ

I have plenty of line, 250 yards. I was thinking corn on the bottom but not too sure. I was thinking hook, leader, swivel, bead, and egg sinker. Is there a way for me to stop the sinker from sliding around?

The rod holds are bolted on the seawall in my backyard and in the 10+ years I've been fishing there, I've never lost a rod.

I have plenty of line, 250 yards. I was thinking corn on the bottom but not too sure. I was thinking hook, leader, swivel, bead, and egg sinker. Is there a way for me to stop the sinker from sliding around?

A couple of rubber float stops would probably hold it in place or even a stop knot.

You'd be better off using a spinning reel and leaving the bail closed with the drag turned right down. A big carp would be hard work on a centrepin.

A couple of rubber float stops would probably hold it in place or even a stop knot.

You'd be better off using a spinning reel and leaving the bail closed with the drag turned right down. A big carp would be hard work on a centrepin.

Yea. That's what I was thinking. Centrepins might be alright for those wimpy salmon or steelhead but a big angry carp could be a whole different story. :o

But if you do, make sure you wear a glove for palming the spool and watch out for your knuckles. :lol:

Dont be scared use your pin for big carp.I have landed 35+ lb carp on a Raven SST3 and a 10' cold water rod. Try fishing like you said with a egg sinker.Dont pass up a float ether.Rig it up the same as steel head fishing.

Just try corn,spikes or wonder bread.I fish all around niagara if you want to shoot me a pm I can hook you up with some spots ot try.

Jeff

I can hear the Queen rolling over in her grave for using such a fine and mighty centrepin on such a lowly coarse fish.... Good for you bud go for it I have torched a few reels all in the name of fun.

Art

Thanks

Tony

Tony,

A float rod pin real combo is made for current and not placing in a rod holder in a dead stick application. You can fish the pin any way you want I guess but if you want to put the rod in a rod holder then consider a mooching type real that has a drag in the reel. Same type of reel but with a functioning drag. The pin reel has a clicker and it is made to keep the reel from free spinning while you are traveling from spot to spot or at least thats what I use it for. Ive seen some guys use the clicker on the pin reel while landing fish which I can't for the life of me understand because it takes the free spinning capabilities of the pin reel and you need free spin while picking up slack line on the trout while they are running towards you but thats another story.

Bottom line is use the right tool for the job and the pin isn't the way to go for carp unless your trying to get them under a float in the current...

Cheers !!

never fight a fish with the clicker engaged but I'm sure you won't have any issues if a carp goes on a small run before you get to the rod holder...."

Don't listen to that advice.....

I have seen a few unattended rods go in the drink from a "carp on a small run" :o

Edited by splashhopper

I use my centrepins a few times a year for carp…Particularly in spring when they’re in shallow. I can’t say that a centrepin does any particular thing better than a spinning reel for this purpose…Some people drive automatic cars and others take more joy out of driving stick shifts – One angler that fishes a local swim uses his Clough and 13’ IMX :w00t: . For the most part I don’t use a rod holder and stalk the fish by sight fishing them when using the pin.

With that said, if you plan on using a rod holder of some sort (and potentially staying a distance away from your rod), clickers on many centrepins will handle the initial run of a carp – some obviously better than others. You don’t want a clicker tension to be too high or lock down (I find the med spring setting on my Islander is just about right – Med-light setting on my AngSpec is best)…You definitely don’t want it to be too loose either (or you may end up with a bird’s nest on the initial take (where you may end up losing your rod + reel when line wraps around on something like the handles).

Corn on a hook right on bottom (using a sliding egg sinker) is about as easy as you can make it for a rig…When I’m stalking carp in the shallows, live dewies are my favourite, rigged with a size 6-8 octopus hook + split shot 14 inches above.

Go to our website My linkPm a guy named aintnoscalesonme. I have netted carp over 40lbs that he caught on a pin. Lots of our guys do it.

aplumma

Many skilled english anglers use centre pin reels for carp and course fish. You rainbow guys picked it up from them.

Edited by hammercarp

Daplumma

Many skilled english anglers use centre pin reels for carp and course fish. You rainbow guys picked it up from them.

Good information I didn't know that. I have never had a chance to use a centrepin.

I have used flyrods for catfish, A shimano 1000 for bonita,and currently use 9ft trolling rods for 50lb+ Blue cats. Using different equipment makes fishing interesting as long as you keep in mind that you shouldn't exhaust the fish if you are going to release them.

Art

Good information I didn't know that. I have never had a chance to use a centrepin.

I have used flyrods for catfish, A shimano 1000 for bonita,and currently use 9ft trolling rods for 50lb+ Blue cats. Using different equipment makes fishing interesting as long as you keep in mind that you shouldn't exhaust the fish if you are going to release them.

Art

Sorry about the misspelling. I have edited my post. :blush:

(shhhh) You can actually take carp on the fly (shhhh). Don't say that out loud tonka or the luddites on this forum will run you out of town! https://www.msu.edu/~connert/carpfly.htm I'm currently experimenting with catching carp on the troll. I'm waiting for the weather to change because it has been too cold post spawn. Bullhead are certainly taking lures.

Edited by scuro2

If you plan on fishing in still water i would just run a normal float set up just instead of a hook i would tie a hair rig and let it sit on the bottom.

When fish hooks itself you`ll know.

Another idea that might work is if you can actually see fish swimming around, just put some corn on a hook, without any weight or anything else, just a hook and some bait and let it sit where the fish are. Try casting 2-3 feet ahead of them, sometimes they strike right away when they see corn sinking.

Oh yea and stay close to your rod.

(shhhh) You can actually take carp on the fly (shhhh). Don't say that out loud tonka or the luddites on this forum will run you out of town! https://www.msu.edu/~connert/carpfly.htm I'm currently experimenting with catching carp on the troll. I'm waiting for the weather to change because it has been too cold post spawn. Bullhead are certainly taking lures.

They just might even be fun to stalk on the fly......what was that I read one time about carp being fresh water bonefish??

They just might even be fun to stalk on the fly......what was that I read one time about carp being fresh water bonefish??

They could be a darn lot of fun a little later in the season when they are not jumping around all over the place. That early summer lazy indifference part of the season, that would be a fine time to make an offering that just looks a little too good! Edited by scuro2

http://www.raventackle.com/Shotting%20Patterns.pdf ~and in this booklet I have at home, it says you can fish for multiple species with your float rod, last fall I went for pike around sudbury, little 2-7lb's I used a regluar float 12 feet deep, with a treble hook, and two minnow, fake ones, under shot my float, and landed a couple pike, no pics to prove it but, you can do it.. no problemo. Trust your rod and gear! if it breaks, thats part of the game.. p.s. i used my sst2 reel... 8lb mono, but for pike i used 6il mono leader instead of floro so i could get a bit of stretch on a hard hit...

never fight a fish with the clicker engaged but I'm sure you won't have any issues if a carp goes on a small run before you get to the rod holder...."Don't listen to that advice..... I have seen a few unattended rods go in the drink from a "carp on a small run" :o

well, I didn't suggest unattended...and a carp running on a free spool will just run line, not steal your rod...

when I first started pinning I practiced with carp in the locks of the Otonabee in Peterborough, you can float or bottom fish them, perfect practice on a pin

aplumma

Many is stretching it a bit, a few like Chris Yates do especially for stalking carp but they mostly use centrepins for trotting for chub and barbel on rivers, the vast majority use big fixed spool/spinning reels for carping.

I'm sure smaller carp would be fun on a 'pin at close range but if you get one of the lumps I've seen in some of the marinas round the GTA you'd struggle to get it in quickly with a centrepin and as aplumma says you shouldn't overplay a fish that's going back.