motorguide bowmount trolling motors?

mikeh

I will be buying a new bowmount trolling motor in the next couple of weeks, I have recently found the 70lb thrust one on sale at a store in Toronto. Now my dilemma is when the salesman was comparing the minnkota to the motorguide he stated that the motorguide has a metal shaft compared to a composite shaft on the minnkota's. With the metal shaft if you have the motor down and you are moving at full thrust and hit a rock or log that you can bend the shaft. I would like to know from motorguide users how durable their unit has been? thanks

Edited by mikeh

One of the reasons I went Motorguide...

"33% Stronger Shafts. MotorGuide's Wireless Series composite shaft is beefed up with a larger diameter and is 33% stronger than the competition. All Wireless Series motors feature a Lifetime Shaft Guarantee."

I've had my current Motorguide for about 6 years now and have never had a problem with the shaft bending. I fish alot of shallow water after dark and bounce it off rocks and stumps all the time without issue.

I wouldn't be concerned with it because if there was gonna be a problem, I would have found it long ago.

I got the wireless too, hit a few things going fast last year and didn't do a thing but scratch the lower unit, they seem tough to me.

Motorguide 3 year warranty, Minn kota 2 years warranty, so they are confident in their product.

I did on my Glastron, as you know Phil. A 40AT and the tops lower case half broke/cracked on it thru the mounting screws that hold it to the shaft...as the head is the only thing you can grab to lift by. The new boat owner will find it slightly modified with a gear/hose clamp around the mounting ring of the lower case to hold it all together..... :o

2 minnkotas and a motor guide bowmount all had metal shafts and never a bent one. First minn-kota wore out after about 12 years, traded a 40 at minn for a 52 motor cause my buddy wanted less power on his 14 footer to troll slower for crappie.

Part of the deal with the bow mount is that you are up front, gives you a better field of view of what is in front of you in the water.

No worries on the Motorguides. Have owned 2 Motorguides (tiller and bowmount) and this last year ran a Minn Kota bow mount. Motorguides = flawless. The Minn Kota Power Drive though blew both the control board then 2 weeks after that the foot pedal blew in a tourney (would only turn left). My fishing partner had the "autopilot" Minn Kota and it needed repairs twice too. Motorguide from now on for me. Oh ya, never bent a shaft on one either.

Edited by Hookset

well, I went to BPS this morning and they had an in store special on the motorguide pro series 70 lb thrust bowmount for $324 plus taxes which came out to $370. The regular price is $649 , so I saved a bundle. They had a sale on most of motorguide units, if any body is in the market for a 55lb thrust motor they had them for $224 plus taxes. thanks for your replies.

Edited by mikeh

Sounds like you got an excellent deal Mike, it should last you a very long time.

The Minn Kota Power Drive though blew both the control board then 2 weeks after that the foot pedal blew in a tourney (would only turn left).

My boat originally came with a MinnKota PD 55. The circuit board in the foot contol burned up in the 2nd year and when I took it into Aikmens to be repaired, he told me that was an ongoing problem with the PD's.

I got rid of it and bought the MotorGuide.

Not saying there's anything wrong with PD's I just didn't want any hassles.

another thing to consider. Minn kota with a universal sonar is compatible with pretty much every manufacturer, from what I understand motorguide is only compatible with lowrance and garmin products and I was told by a dealer that you cant hook up humminbird products to the US so it might be something to consider also

Imagine pretty much usable with any unit..as long as you know what wire is what etc to get it hooked up. From Motorguide...supposed to be adapters available for most leading brands early 2007.

"MotorGuide Sonar Ready Motors with Built-in Lowrance 200 kHz Transducer and Temperature Sensor are design to be plugged directly into Lowrance Sonar units to maximize Sonar performance showing all of the available detail (baitfish, temperature breaks, bottom changes, ect.) important to locating game fish. With a built-in transducer, motor installation is quick and easy with no transducer cables, wire-ties or hose clamps running down the shaft. Simply plug-in the 6-pin Lowrance Sonar connector coming out of the motor, connect your power cable and you are ready to go fishing. MotorGuide sells a 7-pin (blue/gray) Lowrance Sonar Adaptor Cable for additional transducer compatibility.

Additionally, other leading brands with 200 kHz capability are compatible with the MotorGuide Sonar Ready Wireless Series. Look for these Sonar Adaptors to be available in January 2007. "

Here's the current list http://sites.mercurymarine.com/portal/page...;_schema=PORTAL

I had a MotorGuide wireless and it was in the shop more then on my boat

I was using it as a back up unit for tourneys and every time I needed it it crapped out on me,,,

they kept repairing it for free till the warrant ran out, then they wanted as much as a new one cost to fix it...I argued that because it was the same ongoing problem they should keep repairing it, till they get it right....they disagreed....about 20hours of use on it and it's garbage....I will not be supporting them in the future...

Minn kota gets my money now

I'd talk to a trolling motor mechanic or perhaps to a marina that sells and services both and see which brand sticks out...

I'd stick with cable steer over any of the motorized steering systems as that seems to be a weak point for both brands.

I had 2 Motorguides in the past and had quite a few issues. The Minn Kota Maxxum series is hands down the most popular trolling motor for tournament fishermen who rely on and abuse their trolling motors probably more than most. Especially running around in rough big water...

But a good deal is a good deal and I'd trust either brand if buying new.

Charles

I know you don't want to hear this but I wouldn't buy that motorguide unless it was for an exceptionally good deal.

The shafts are good on them but just about everythinkg else is not.....

I owned a motor guide and dreaded the day I bought it, I fish in tournaments and demand a lot out of my trolling motor and motorguide could not do the job.

My advice to you is if your going to invest the money, do right the first time. There's no need for you to waste your time and money on a flop.

Go with the minnkota MAXXUM, their everything a trolling motor should be......

Fished 181 days last year with a Motorguide Wirelesss

Never had a problem

Get yourself good batteries (group 24) and the charge will last for days

Walleye trips,I'd charge every 4 days

Muskie fishing,I'd charge every 23 days

You got yourself and good deal

mikeh sounds like you got a heck of a deal, I was looking at that in the flyer last month and if I'm not mistaken that is basically the same model (mine is a 65Lbs)I bought ten years ago and I paid about $600.00. I've gotten my monies worth. Good Luck with yours.

Whopper