2010 Trout Opener

young_one

What a great day it was for fishing, lots fish caught, saw a few old friends and met some new.

* I went 6 steelheads landed out of 7, lesson learnt for fishing with fragile leader and wood area

* All fish were caught with jigs and pink worm, continuing my "No Roe" approach for Steelheads

* All fish were released unharmed except for one bonus brown trout

* Picked up a fly rod and started to mess around with it, it feels like learning to fish all over again!

* 1st Brown Trout caught

* 1st fish caught on a fly rod (fingerling trout)

Woke up an hour late, due to alarm failure, GOLDEN HOUR :oops:

Nice pool with lots fish, scouting before opener is the key to success!

duffinscreekopeningday001.jpg

FISH ON!

duffinscreekopeningday039.jpg

duffinscreekopeningday043.jpg

duffinscreekopeningday048.jpg

duffinscreekopeningday049.jpg

Around noon, decided to mess around with the fly rod my buddy Mike lent me, he is also a great photographer. All I need to do now is to convert him into an OFNer! :thumbsup_anim:

duffinscreekopeningday024.jpg

duffinscreekopeningday056.jpg

duffinscreekopeningday059.jpg

At the end of the day, back to float rod :) Bonus brown trout to finish the day!

duffinscreekopeningday089.jpg

Never tasted a brown before, so I end up keeping the fish :Gonefishing:

duffinscreekopeningday093.jpg

UPDATE: The brown trout had one of its lower fin clipped, I assume its a stocked fish? Inside the stomach there were two 3" shiners! Hungry little fish still took my jig fly!

It'll be a great fishing season ahead, wish you all the best and plenty of catch

Edited by young_one

here's another one of young_one

showing me what a rainbow looks like.

How you do with your son yesterday Skeeter? Did you find the "CAT/tree" pool?

Sorry I couldn't meet up with you, I was too busy untangling fly lines and trying to get into fly fishing. Your best chance for steelhead is within the next few days! All the pools I showed you should at least get you a fish or two, try the orange worm you bought when its overcast or dawn, I've had good success with the bright orange under those conditions. Fish under a float (preferably a less noticeable float ;) ) leader should be around 2 feet from hook to float.

If you need any other information, give me a call, I'll direct you to a few other pools. :Gonefishing:

Great report Will

I'm pretty interested in knowing how the brownie tastes...I was so tempted to keep one I got this weekend...

The brown trout tasted awesome! I am usually a very picky fresh water fish eater, this brown trout had absolutely zero sand taste like the steelhead and the meat was nice and fat! It reminds me of those expensive Salmon steaks sold in supermarket, but BETTER!

Great report Young_one. Did you give this baby a chance to swim?

DSC00397.jpg

For the week leading up to the opener, I tried all my stonefly imitations without success. On the opening day, I was too busy fishing with my signature jig fly, I ignored other stuff. Plus I don't think it was the right hatch, I could be wrong. :blahblah1: