Boat Building from the bottom up

JPD

Since there was so much interest in Louis' post on the making of his new Bass Cat Pantera II I thought I would give everyone a better look at the manufacturing of a bass boat from the Bass Cat plant in Mountain Home, Arkansas. If some find this spammy I apologize but I find this stuff incredibly interesting as do others.

This series of pics will be of the production of my new boat. The start date was yesterday, April 21, 2010. I will get as many pics that are different than Louis' so you can see some of the behind the scenes manufacturing...

The first pic is the actual mold of the boat, no, it's not orange..lol That's the mold that they use to make the hull section. you can see the striping taped out and they have already sprayed the black bottom gel coat in. Bass boats are actually made inside out, the clear goes on first, then the gel with flake, then the glass is layed in. This is the very first step. Of course there is a releasing agent that is used on the mold to help them get the hull out once cured.

Hull Gel Coat copy.jpg

The next picture is of the cap being done. The clear coat is done and they are now spraying the gel, in this case it is Malibu Blue which is Black base with Blue metal flake. The raised sections are the lids for the livewells and the storage compartments which will be cut out afterward. The big two step box in the middle is the seat section and floor of the boat. The rod ramp runs along the side of the passenger seat (right side of pic) to hold his or her rods while not using them.

More to come as days progress...

JP

Deck Gel Flaking copy.jpg

SEVENTY-NINE POINT SIX!!!!!!!!!

When I grow up I'll stop being impressed with go-faster toys but for now I still love 'em.

:thumbsup_anim:

Byron'll be eating his heart out. Gotta stop by the store to needle him about that one.

JF

Edited by JohnF

Thanks guys,

I'll be running a Puma FTD with the new Yamaha SHO 250 like Mike said. The speed is supposed to be unparalleled. This hull was tested with the 225 SHO and the 250 SHO when the motors were released in the fall last year. The 225 ran 75.1 mph with 3/4 fuel, 2 guys, batteries and safety equipment. Everything but tackle.

The 250 ran 79.6 mph with 2 guys, full fuel (52 Gallons), all the equipment except tackle. They ran it with the new Yamaha 27 pitch prop at 6000 rpms. Here's the data sheet from the press release for the 250 SHO / Puma FTD Combo.

JohnF, I know exactly what you are talking about... since I bought my first real boat that ran 28 mph I have been looking fir more and more speed. Never really got two-foot-itis since I love 19.5 - 20.5 foot boats for maneuverability.

More pics to follow.

JP

Puma-Sho-Performance.jpg

Thanks guys,

I'll be running a Puma FTD with the new Yamaha SHO 250 like Mike said. The speed is supposed to be unparalleled. This hull was tested with the 225 SHO and the 250 SHO when the motors were released in the fall last year. The 225 ran 75.1 mph with 3/4 fuel, 2 guys, batteries and safety equipment. Everything but tackle.

The 250 ran 79.6 mph with 2 guys, full fuel (52 Gallons), all the equipment except tackle. They ran it with the new Yamaha 27 pitch prop at 6000 rpms. Here's the data sheet from the press release for the 250 SHO / Puma FTD Combo.

JohnF, I know exactly what you are talking about... since I bought my first real boat that ran 28 mph I have been looking fir more and more speed. Never really got two-foot-itis since I love 19.5 - 20.5 foot boats for maneuverability.

More pics to follow.

JP

That`s scary fast, just stay out of my way when I`m plodding along at 39 mph!!!LOL

Oh man!

I gots an idea JP, you should have an exclusive contest to OFC members only. This could be a way to raise money for a charity of your choice. Make tickets @ 10.00 per ticket for a chance to win a days fishing in your new ride. Of course, it would be up to the winner to see if they want you in the boat with them! :rolleyes::thumbsup_anim:

Hey, on a side note, I finally saw one of your episodes on WFN, (I don't have satellite and spend my time fishing instead of watching. WFN is free for the rest of the month too) pretty informative. I liked it! Good on ya bud.

Oh man!

I gots an idea JP, you should have an exclusive contest to OFC members only. This could be a way to raise money for a charity of your choice. Make tickets @ 10.00 per ticket for a chance to win a days fishing in your new ride. Of course, it would be up to the winner to see if they want you in the boat with them! :rolleyes::thumbsup_anim:

Hey, on a side note, I finally saw one of your episodes on WFN, (I don't have satellite and spend my time fishing instead of watching. WFN is free for the rest of the month too) pretty informative. I liked it! Good on ya bud.

+2

If Bass Cat made a multi-species boat like a Ranger 620 or 621 you'd be seeing this same boat building process report from me.

Awesome ride JP! Did you sell your other "awesome" ride? That's a good buy if not.

JP, looks like this ride will have taken you a long way from the early Simcoe Bassmasters souped up 60hp(read Top Gun Marine) 16footer years eh?

Glad to see you are still hard at your dream. Keep up the energy.

Ed

Those were the days Ed!

I just got a few more shots in... I have always cursed the fiberglass splinters when rigging my boats... seems it's not an issue here! Great finish quality. I have always maintained that cleanliness is next to Godliness when it comes to finishing boats... no splinters for this guy this year! Woohoo!

Rear-Sump-Cat.jpg

Cat-wiring.jpg

so you getting this one wrapped too ?!

and what did ya do with your last boat ?

This one will be going in for the wrap as well. It pains me very year since I love the colors that I pick and never really get to enjoy them. The Triton is for sale right now, hopefully she'll find a home with someone that will enjoy her as much as I did.

JP