Trolling for carp!???

scuro2

Had a recent experience in trolling for pike where I believe I had a carp on that wasn't snagged. Now in my local waters most of the fish are out of season except fish like carp. It is mostly a carp lake. I plan to fish small lures at a slow speed. Anyone ever do this? Also there is the danger that I could actually catch a pike out of season. How would one explain this to ministry guy if he ever saw you trolling and you catch a pike? Almost all carp fishermen use bait like corn.

Yeah, might be a pretty tough sell to a CO... since you would almost certainly catch mostly OOS species rather than the target carp and they obviously know this. I have caught a few carp over the years on moving baits as well, but it is the exception rather than the norm.

Yeah, might be a pretty tough sell to a CO... since you would almost certainly catch mostly OOS species rather than the target carp and they obviously know this. I have caught a few carp over the years on moving baits as well, but it is the exception rather than the norm.

The thing is this "lake" is more like a runoff pool and very nutrient rich. There are probably 30 carp for every pike and I feel confident that I could mostly, if not exclusively catch carp. I'm not big on sitting on my arse dealing with slimy bait and watching my line for slight vibrations.

Edited by scuro2

I fished the Thames river in london with moving baits for 3 years strait while in school and caught hundreds of smallmouth bass, dozens of pike, and 1 tiny carp. I did however catch hundreds of carp, BIG and small much more consistently on corn. If you fish them properly the action will be much more fast and furious than casting for hours and hours with a stick bait or spinner. It's obviously possible to catch carp on moving baits, but you're seriously diminishing your odds targeting them with spinners or cranks, and are knowingly increasing your chances of catching OOS fish. I don't think a CO could realistically ticket you for targeting carp with a moving bait, but if he see's you catching pike while "targeting" carp you're probably going get yourself into trouble.

Good Luck either way!

Cheers,

Ryan

I caught a monster carp in the Hamilton harbor years ago trolling with big spoons for trout.

I would think it would be a rare thing to happen though - not sure how a CO would treat that one, always thought the not "targeting: OOS fish was kinda a fuzzy regulation.

Edited by Sudzy

The thing is this "lake" is more like a runoff pool and very nutrient rich. There are probably 30 carp for every pike and I feel confident that I could mostly, if not exclusively catch carp. I'm not big on sitting on my arse dealing with slimy bait and watching my line for slight vibrations.

Like everyone said, that's a tough sell. No offense, but I think the carp people have determined the best ways to target carp and trolling with a spinner bait is not one of them/not considered targeting carp. You should check out some carp gear. They have line monitors so you don't have to watch your line for bumps/vibrations. There are many specialty rigs out there. If you use store bought boilies and ground bait... You will never have to touch anything slimy or deal with making them!

As for sitting on your arse... how is sitting on a boat different from the shore? If you paddle your boat, perhaps bring some of those hand/arm exercises...Just a suggestion.

My opinion, along with everyone else, does not matter at the end of the day. The CO is who you will be convincing and I don't think you have anything accepted in the sport fishing world to back you up!

Good luck!

Scuro IMO, you're trolling now and it isn't for carp. You aren't even sure the first one was a carp.This is a trolling thread by design.

Quick to judge, are you not?...and may I add your assumptions are way off base.

I took my yak out to Lake Erie and fished for pike a few weeks ago. That is legal. While moving between places I let a lure out. I could see carp jumping everywhere and got a number of hits. One had some good line peel to it but it got off. I'd see em jump and then go other to that spot and get a hit. These were probably carp because it was shallow and I wasn't near structure. I've been researching a little, and others on this thread confirm that carp at certain times will hit lures. Now pike are not in-season anywhere inshore in southwestern ontario. I don't want to drive over an hour to fish. I want to fish my local lake. So there is the possibility that I could catch pike. That is not my intention, nor would I be fishing lures or fishing in a style that I would to catch pike. How is this different then fishing a lake when pike is open and there is the possibility that you catch off season bass?

I want to fish this way because I don't like sitting on my arse when I fish and I can yak and see some countryside all the while testing out my theory. I enjoy the mental challenge of "putting it together" and catching fish when others are not. I think I can catch em. Maybe not as effectively as with corn but I got hits previously every 20 minutes or so and that ain't bad fishing to me. Also I can cover a lot of ground and find hot spots.

Edited by scuro2

If you want to try something like that, I guess I'd wait for something else that opens in which you could troll for.

It's similar to trying to get pike/muskie with a senko...Sure, they will hit....But trying that on a Kawartha lake after the first week of June, and I will for sure think you are trying to get some OOS bass.

I've had a number of times where carp had taken a huge hit onto rapalas and other cranks, so I know it can be a truth.

Like I said there the waters are overrun with carp. It is almost dead water because of all of the nutrients coming off the farm land. You see fish kills of bullheads because the ecosystem sucks. I've spent many a night casting from shore trying to get pike and nada. Carp, you can't put corn out and not get a hit in 15 minutes.

My point is I've research this, believe that if I fish in a certain way I will almost exclusively, if not totally catch carp on this lake, and I'd like to try that out. Where are all the libertarians when you need them? :sarcasm:

Edited by scuro2

Why risk the ticket? Wait till the other OOS are legal and go from their. I can catch Big Blue Catfish trolling jig and fillets but with Striper bass OOS I dead bait on the bottom till the season for Stripers is open.

P.S. SCURO2 While you think Roy is quick to judge remember he is a Moderator and has access to ALL of your information/posts/internal notes and I am sure he has his bases for warning you in a polite way. Heed the polite warning it will go far in your life on OFC .You also can P.M. Roy if you can not figure out what his reference is about after all since he warned you he is more interested in having you as a member than not.

Art

Try trolling a small black leach (fly) either on a fly setup or spinning with some split shot.

There is a really good spot and stalk fishery for carp on the fly in I believe either Erie or Michigan, so if you cna cast to them Ièm sure they would take a slow trolled leach. ;)

I caught a 15 lber on the trent chucking out a massive lucky strike in red and white, andthis thing was hooked on the lip like it took the lure in. So who knows, but like everyone else said trolling shouldn't be something you should risk trying for carp, what you can do is flyfish using large corn kernels if casting and top water is ur thing.

Corn isn't slimy or dirty, so you should be alrite with that. Maybe even corn imitations would work so long as they have scent.

P.S. SCURO2 While you think Roy is quick to judge remember he is a Moderator and has access to ALL of your information/posts/internal notes and I am sure he has his bases for warning you in a polite way. Heed the polite warning it will go far in your life on OFC .You also can P.M. Roy if you can not figure out what his reference is about after all since he warned you he is more interested in having you as a member than not.

Anyone who knows me, knows I am always above board, and you would see that on all my pms or posts. I'm a school teacher and not your average rule breaker. I know that Roy was well intentioned but he jumped to a conclusion that was groundless. If Roy wants to point something out publicly then he shouldn't be surprised if he gets a public response. I think he is done with that point as I hope you are.

Edited by scuro2

Anyone who knows me, knows I am always above board, and you would see that on all my pms or posts. I'm a school teacher and not your average rule breaker. I know that Roy was well intentioned but he jumped to a conclusion that was groundless. If Roy wants to point something out publicly then he shouldn't be surprised if he gets a public response. I think he is done with that point as I hope you are.

I also think you shouldn't be surprised at my public response.My attempt to help you has gone in a direction that I did not intend... be well.

Art

Firstly, I imagine that you will take some heat as it will look like you are targeting OOS fish.

One thing that I can't get past is that you're saying that you've had alot of hits on lures? I find that when carp are hooked in the mouth they have a really hard time getting off. In fact, I can't remember the last time that I lost a carp and still had a hook when I reeled in. On the other hand, when carp are foul hooked they often get off rather easily. You don't always end up with scales on your hook either.

So my question is: what reason do you really have to believe that they are biting? When you see a group of spawning carp and then you drag a lure through them, chances are you are going to get bumps that might look like hits. As others have said, if you want to catch carp, bait is the way to go. I have had success with corn many times and it isn't sticky/smelly etc. Flies work well too, but I usually cast them as opposed to trolling with them. Or... you can troll around lures, but I imagine that you'll find you will be foul hooking many carp before you get one to bite.

Had a recent experience in trolling for pike where I believe I had a carp on that wasn't snagged. Now in my local waters most of the fish are out of season except fish like carp. It is mostly a carp lake. I plan to fish small lures at a slow speed. Anyone ever do this? Also there is the danger that I could actually catch a pike out of season. How would one explain this to ministry guy if he ever saw you trolling and you catch a pike? Almost all carp fishermen use bait like corn.

Yea... and last week i was catching crappie on scugog trolling a muskie killer, and the CO came by and didn't have a problem with it! :w00t::sarcasm:

I am just wondering why your profile pic looks like a pike...? :unsure:

It sure leaves some questions about the intent of your "trolling for carp"

Firstly, I imagine that you will take some heat as it will look like you are targeting OOS fish.

Perhaps and that is a reason why I started this thread. Tell me though how many pike fishermen have caught smallmouth bass out of season? I will be fishing in a way, and with lures that no one normally would troll for or fish for pike.

One thing that I can't get past is that you're saying that you've had alot of hits on lures? I find that when carp are hooked in the mouth they have a really hard time getting off. In fact, I can't remember the last time that I lost a carp and still had a hook when I reeled in. On the other hand, when carp are foul hooked they often get off rather easily. You don't always end up with scales on your hook either.

Fishing from a kayak is different, you can't instantly get on your rod, in fact it could be seconds until you are in the proper position to fight a fish...but your point is well taken. I wouldn't know what the answer is until I tested this theory out. Have thought about tightening the drag down next time.

So my question is: what reason do you really have to believe that they are biting? When you see a group of spawning carp and then you drag a lure through them, chances are you are going to get bumps that might look like hits. As others have said, if you want to catch carp, bait is the way to go. I have had success with corn many times and it isn't sticky/smelly etc. Flies work well too, but I usually cast them as opposed to trolling with them. Or... you can troll around lures, but I imagine that you'll find you will be foul hooking many carp before you get one to bite.

Do carp spawn first week of april? That is when I went out...those first few incredibly hot days. I have heard what others have said but I simply want to try a new method. If I'm foul hooking them, I'll know that soon enough. And if few the pike who live in these skank waters have enough energy after the spawn and the daily struggle to get oxygen, hit micro lures trolled at a very slow speed in the middle of a body of water, I'll know that too. Rest assured if either case is happening I'd stop.

I'd rather be in my kayak getting exercise and looking at the countryside fishing for carp then sitting on a cold rock contemplating the price of corn and waiting for the slightest twitch.

Edited by scuro2