Sharp decline in Nipissing walleye?

Jonny

From the North Bay Nugget:

Nipissing First Nation is considering a 10% reduction in the commercial walleye harvest as a precautionary measure after fall 2009 index netting in Lake Nipissing registered surprisingly low yields.

And the Greater Nipissing Stewardship Council will "politely" ask the Ministry of Natural Resources to assign a full-time biologist to Lake Nipissing so it can have a better idea how of many walleye are taken by non-natives.

Full article @

http://www.nugget.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2528165

Jingle, jingle rattle. Yep I hear the keys rattling already. So I'll keep my mouth :tease: shut now. :jerry:

Why is there always the assumption that a news article from our local paper needs to be shut down? It seems a "bury your head in the sand" kind of reaction. :blush:

Actually that is good news...

That both the Nipissing First Nation and the Lake NIpissing Stewardship Council are on top of things.. (too bad the MNR is not)

I think we should all be putting pressure on the MNR in North Bay to dedicate a full time biologist to Lake Nipissing... and not some part time newly graduated biologist, putting in time, waiting for anther post.

Lake Nipissing has one of Ontario's greatest fisheries and I just do not understand our MNRs apparent lack of commitment to our lake.

the cap't

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

why would this be locked? all of this is in fact very relative information. the article is free of bias and seems to suggest that management of both native and non-native fisheries needs to be improved. just because an issue involves natives doesn't make it a lockable thread... it's when the biased finger pointing rears its ugly head that threads get locked. unfortunately some anglers don't appreciate when they point the finger they have three pointing right back at them.

unfortunately some anglers don't appreciate when they point the finger they have three pointing right back at them.

Not to mention the thumb pointed at "you-know-who". :P

But seriously, guys jumping in with the assumption of a locked thread really bugs me. It almost seems like they're calling for the thread to be locked, only not saying it. Maybe it's just a bit of fun, I admit, but it's not very constructive.

Man how can this be a continuing problem after so many years of study.

This lake should be a perennial hotspot for eyes like it used to be. Time for the MNR to get there act together. It can be done , hell close the fishery if you have to. It looks like its bled to death a litlle more every year.

What a waste!

guys jumping in with the assumption of a locked thread really bugs me

not assumption, its called "history repeating itself" or "there's nothing new under the sun". This topic has come up many times over the years and it usually goes south in a hurry. Hopefully this time is different!

Jocko, I couldn't agree with you more. If you only new how many times I've been at the MNR's neck and they tell me there hands are tied.

We use to do our annual Nipissing trip with 6 guys to Sturgeon Falls for years, then they brought in the slot limit. Every Walleye we caught had to be released, they were all in the slot. The only fish we could keep were some small Perch, Sunfish for a fish fry. At the end of the road near the lake and mouth of Sturgeon, at night they were loading a reefer truck full of our released Walleye 1000's of LBS. to the market. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I or should I say WE pay for our fishing licenses, Cottage, food, worms, spend money in town, gas, refreshments, etc. and I can't have 1 Pickerel for a fish fry. Little to say we don't go there anymore, we go else where. It was to bad because we liked it there.

To top things off that your not suppose to know about :whistling: is the ghost nets :devil: that float around Nipissing that were lost, float around the lake netting fish till there full, sink to the bottom and rot, then surface again to fill again and sink.

Then the politics start. If only things would change. I'll say one more word ( Caledonia )

Now where's my blood pressure pills :blush:

Seems to me these threads get locked because this board is rather liberal in its management, and liberals have a high sensitivity to be thought of as racist, these discussions aren't racist, it is a simple reality that netting a lake as small as Nipissing using modern nets, modern boats etc is a bad idea, especially when the fishery is as loosely monitored as this one. It is amazing enough that the number of non native fisherman on the lake hadn't already depleted the stocks, but at least we have rules to follow, I would be fine with a reduction of limits, catch and release only even. The odds of that happening? Probably zero, the odds of the native fishery being closed is even less, this is a liberal government after all. Most of us who have been on the lake regularly the last few years have seen the numbers fall, something has been happening, but no, the fish are chasing smelts or some such crap, we can't talk about the nets, that surely has no impact, and surely someone with a large amount of liberal guilt will be on shortly to tell us how well they have done on the lake. Something needs to change, if that means fewer fish for us, than so be it, at least there might be fish.

Sadly, I don't think we're going to see a resolution to this and, between the sport fishing and the netting, the Nipissing pickerel fishery may quite likely be destroyed altogether, existing only as a pale shadow of its former self.

And the MNR will be the proverbial Nero, fiddling while Rome burns.

Edited by Jocko

Sadly, I don't think we're going to see a resolution to this and, between the sport fishing and the netting, the Nipissing pickerel fishery may quite likely be destroyed altogether, existing only as a pale shadow of its former self.

And the MNR will be the proverbial Nero, fiddling while Rome burns.

Well put Jocko, I feel for the tourist industry.

Just have to laugh, another MNR political joke.

"Rowe said the recommendation — presented to the chief and council Tuesday — to lower the commercial harvest to 41,670 kilograms comes from its natural resource committee after consultations with local gill netters."

Yes that will help :worthy::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

I'm glad they didn't go to 42,000 :tease::blink::good:

Edited by Fish Farmer

I know of 2 outfitters who have stopped supporting the walleye stocking program as a result of the netting issue. They were just throwing good money after bad. Of course they will never publicly admit it. :whistling: They argued against the netting, a few years back, and got their bait tanks vandalized.

Why do they bother stocking the lake to support a commercial fishery. If it can't sustain the gill netting by natural reproduction, then no point in wasting the money, time and resources to support it.

Resort operators and outfitters participated in, and funded, stocking efforts in the hope of improving the fishery. it made good business sense. It no longer does,

I know of 2 outfitters who have stopped supporting the walleye stocking program as a result of the netting issue. They were just throwing good money after bad. Of course they will never publicly admit it. :whistling:

Some years ago North Bay Hunters and Anglers and the MNR had a Walleye hatchery program which was discontinued by the MNR - - reason Lack of Funds. That program was never re-introduced even though it was members of the Club that did all the work on a volunteer basis. MNR costs - $0.00.

Restocking programs should be seriously considered. But in addition to the MNR's lack of interest, it will be harder to get people motivated to participate when they see themselves "topping up the barrel" while there's a BIG hole in the bottom because of the netting (which takes about 3/4 of the pickerel harvested on Nipissing).

But we should also look at ourselves rather than only pointing fingers at other people. Years in the past lodges, outfitters, and the tourist operators contributed to the pickerel decline. Back in the 40's up to the late 70's tourist operators were encouraging tourists to go out several times a day to come with a limit of 6 fish each time - - - that went on for years - - - summer and winter. Some of that mentality lingers today when "hot streaks" appear.

Everyone is concerned over the pickerel; how about the perch and pike population? We don't see many remarks about those species.

Lake Nipissing is a great bass fishery - - - how about "Walleye Fanatic Fisherman" changing to spend more time fishing bass. Fishing is fishing, and bass will give you a lot more challenge and fight than the Walleye. Are pickerel fishermen scared of change, or are so-called sport fishermen really meat hunters?

my father who lives on nip ,has said several of the businessmen who operate in the area have told him they will no longer support the stocking program also.They say it is turned into a program to support the netting fishery.They hope to convince customers to target other species.

Edited by bowslayer

my father who lives on nip ,has said several of the businessman who operate in the area have told him they will no longer support the stocking program also.They say it is turned into a program to support the netting fishery.They hope to convince customers to target other species.

I wonder if we could ever see such a thing as a co-operative stocking/habitat program involving both native and non-native stakeholders? Probably not, but wouldn't that be a "flagship" sort of enterprise! It could even lead to better understanding in other areas, but it would require both honesty on both sides and diplomats on both sides who could look at the long-term health of the fishery for all.

Too tall an order, I know I'm dreaming. It's hard to be a pessimist all the time though. :blush: