Niagara River Steelhead Report

I hit the Niagara on Saturday with a friend Mitch, and we absolutely hammered them After a couple of lousy trips, I needed this! Well over 20 fish to the boat - stopped counting after a dozen. The action was so good, we didn't take many photos, we just wanted to get back in the water! All damage done on a brand new prototype soft single egg. Not one fish on roe? One laker on a bass Trigger X pink worm.

American guides were asking me all day "what the heck are you using?". To which I replied "a new soft single egg that isn't available yet", to their dismay. I gave a few of the new eggs to US guide John Delorenzo to try, and he smashed fish until they were gone, then had a tough time. He boated up to me after and said "are you kidding me? I can't get these things right now?". Haha, afraid not John, you'll have to wait until next year. Here are some pics from our day.

Niagara_2010_04_01.jpg

Niagara_2010_04_02.jpg

Niagara_2010_04_03.jpg

Niagara_2010_04_04.jpg

Niagara_2010_04_05.jpg

Niagara_2010_04_06.jpg

Niagara_2010_04_07.jpg

Niagara_2010_04_08.jpg

Niagara_2010_04_09.jpg

Mitch has some pics on his camera of himself.

Good fishing!

Aaron

Oh sure, you have a secret weapon :lol:

Great report Aaron, thought we saw your boat out there. Glad you had a super day. As discussed in our PM, next time we'll call and do the tour so we can learn the Hole to be safe.

Joey

Thanks everyone. Not all trips are this good, so I appreciate the ones that rock!

Young_one, I use a full body Kodak Z980. 12mp, 24 optical zoom and smart Capture so it takes great pics in most conditions with great colours. I just like to point and shoot for quick release on fish. It has a wide angle lens and is the best digi cam I have ever used.

Good fishing!

Aaron

Head for the church. St. Saviour's Anglican Church at 12 Princess Street, Queenston, ON L0S 1L0

Get Directions

(905) 262-5111.

Put that into yer google maps, hit sattelite view, and all will be revealed, Grasshopper.

Thanks, Satellite maps are great! Just another question, on an american site it advises not to fish upstream of the Lewiston bridge without a guide if you have limited experience on the river due to fast current. I know the fishing is still pretty good up to and past the hydro dam just wondering how dangerous the water is, I'm in a 16.5 foot 35hp boat with trolling motor and such, just don't want to get into something nasty unexpectedly.

Thanks everyone, it is nice to have a great day out.

Ball9320, please go with a guide, that is a very small boat and it is serious water. Catching chrome isn't worth your life. For the cost of a good guide, you can't go wrong.

A couple of years ago, a big whirlpool opened up and sucked in a 20' guide boat and killed 2 of the 3 people.