Lurkers Lectures

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Centrepins are fantastic for steelheading, however, I know stretches of rivers such as the Saugeen where a bottom bouncing drift presentation will kick a float presentations butt!!

That said, in many situations...slower water, log jams, etc...the centrepin is KING!!!! :D

Couldnt you bottom bounce with the pin? It helps to land a fish way better than spinner. but also isnt bottom bouncing just about lining/flossing fish in the river? lol

Couldnt you bottom bounce with the pin? It helps to land a fish way better than spinner. but also isnt bottom bouncing just about lining/flossing fish in the river? lol

'Course you can bottom bounce with a pin. You can throw hardware as well.

It's not the right tool for the job though.

As Frankie said sometimes bottom bouncing is the way to go.

The very best steelheaders I know started out as primarily bottom bouncers.

To become good at it requires a level of skill and touch far beyond centrepinning.

Regarding the spinning reel I can't agree that a pin will help you land fish better.

It will in most instances allow a much better presentation.

That said there's many instances especially in big water where I replace the pin on my float rod with a spinning reel when float fishing.

Sometimes the pin is a hindrance.

To be truly good versatility is the key. Master all the disciplines not just one.

'Course you can bottom bounce with a pin. You can throw hardware as well.

It's not the right tool for the job though.

As Frankie said sometimes bottom bouncing is the way to go.

The very best steelheaders I know started out as primarily bottom bouncers.

To become good at it requires a level of skill and touch far beyond centrepinning.

Regarding the spinning reel I can't agree that a pin will help you land fish better.

It will in most instances allow a much better presentation.

That said there's many instances especially in big water where I replace the pin on my float rod with a spinning reel when float fishing.

Sometimes the pin is a hindrance.

To be truly good versatility is the key. Master all the disciplines not just one.

Have to disagree with alot of what you are saying!!!

I almost never see anyone bottom bouncing unless they are trying to line the fish.

Controlling the drag with your hand is way better than relying on the spinning reels drag...I constantly see guys loose fish because they cant lock down the way you can with a pin nor control the drag.

Its interesting that 95% of the fish caught are by guys with a Centre pin,..not too mention 90% of Steelheaders use one. there are all facts. Most of what you said is heresay,..and I would bet yu use a pin >90% of the time. ;)

I almost never see anyone bottom bouncing unless they are trying to line the fish.

Controlling the drag with your hand is way better than relying on the spinning reels drag...I constantly see guys loose fish because they cant lock down the way you can with a pin nor control the drag.

Its interesting that 95% of the fish caught are by guys with a Centre pin,..not too mention 90% of Steelheaders use one. there are all facts. Most of what you said is heresay,..and I would bet yu use a pin >90% of the time. ;)

Well....I'd have to say you have a lot to learn as do the 95% of guys who strictly use a centrepin. :whistling:

Well....I'd have to say you have a lot to learn as do the 95% of guys who strictly use a centrepin. :whistling:

I bring a flyrod and 9' spinning rod for spinners at times in appropriate places ;) But a spinning reel with float set-up or bottom bouncing,..nuhunh. :whistling:

Funny, I didn't want this to turn into a war, but, thanks Mike (solopaddler) for your comments!

As for the flossing or lining of fish...the stretches I prefer to bottom bounce, I am making long casts, can't see the fish even with polarized glasses...I have seen as many or more guys float fishing with centrepins, force feeding bows on the spawning beds.

Centrepin is not the be all and end all of steelheading...many of us caught many bows before a centrepin was even used on Ontario rivers.

Again, yes they are awesome tools, but, don't be closed minded. Perhaps you fish mostly the Lake Ontario tribs where it wouldn't surprise me to see guys flossing...a technique I abhor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm with solo. I know for a fact I would catch as many fish with a spinning reel as with a pin. Its not the reel that catches the fish. A guy who knows what he's doing can also present his bait as well as a center pin can, with a spinning reel. Frig, I could present my bait as good with a casting reel. I don't know where the whole center pin mentality came from, but I see it too. If you don't have one, you don't know squat.......gimme a break :rolleyes::rolleyes::wallbash:

I was center pin fishing long before a lot of guys even knew what they were. Back when there were decent numbers of fish in the tribs, and the crowds were bearable. You know, the days when a lot of guys bottom bounced, and used spinning reels. We always caught a lot of fish. If I was to go steelheading right now, I'd use a spinning reel. I KNOW what I can do with BOTH.

S.

not arrogant at all are we...

even pinners don't have your back on this one.

Quiet down Stringbean,...lol...Go to the river check the facts...end of story!! the rest is all just arguing...Solo pins over 90% of the time for Steelhead,..guarenteed.

I'm with solo. I know for a fact I would catch as many fish with a spinning reel as with a pin. Its not the reel that catches the fish. A guy who knows what he's doing can also present his bait as well as a center pin can, with a spinning reel. Frig, I could present my bait as good with a casting reel. I don't know where the whole center pin mentality came from, but I see it too. If you don't have one, you don't know squat.......gimme a break :rolleyes::rolleyes::wallbash:

I was center pin fishing long before a lot of guys even knew what they were. Back when there were decent numbers of fish in the tribs, and the crowds were bearable. You know, the days when a lot of guys bottom bounced, and used spinning reels. We always caught a lot of fish. If I was to go steelheading right now, I'd use a spinning reel. I KNOW what I can do with BOTH.

S.

:blahblah1::blahblah1: Bull!!!!

Man, guys as ignorant as this get under my skin.

Think about it! If 90% of the anglers are using pins ( as some sort of a status symbol or something :rolleyes: ) then, 90% of the fish will be caught on center pin reels. Imagine if 90% of anglers used spinning reels.......Oh wait......that would mean those SAME fish would be caught on spinning reels.

The reel don't matter dude, get over yourself!!

S.

solo could wipe the streambanks with you and he's telling you you're wrong.

And i could wipe my A** with you...;) If anyone is going to tell me floating with a spinning reel is better than using a centre pin,..they need to have their heads examined. bottom bouncing is for lining/flossing...thats what they did in the OLD days when you could walk accross the water with fish...there are times and places that a spinning reel is used effectively with a spinner lure or spoon and sometimes a flyrod is effective...but the rest is Bull!!! Keep on kissing Solo's A** all the way home little doggy!!!

Edited by StoneFly

Its beauty threads like this that bring me out of hibernation with a good laugh.

I'll probably see ya at the Willy or Bville as usual, I'll be the guy with the barbie closed face on my float rod slammin bows.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Think about it! If 90% of the anglers are using pins ( as some sort of a status symbol or something :rolleyes: ) then, 90% of the fish will be caught on center pin reels. Imagine if 90% of anglers used spinning reels.......Oh wait......that would mean those SAME fish would be caught on spinning reels.

S.

Just because this guy is a goof, doesn't mean we all pin for status. I pin because I feel confident in my presentation, and I found a new form of fishing to be refreshing...kind of like starting all over! I got my ass KICKED on saturday by a drift fisherman with spinning gear.

S.

Sorry bud...Your wrong!! you obviously havent used one and probably dont river fish for steelhead...so your opinion means Squaaaat!!! its got nothing to do with 'Myself'...get a grip!!!