Toilet Issues!

Gerritt

For the plumbers on the board. Yesterday when I flushed the toilet it started to make a really funny LOUD hum when refilling the tank... seems the copper line is actually vibrating.. I have tried it again and still have the same issue..

I opened the lid to the tank and it is refilling VERY slowly...

Any thoughts?

G

Hey Gerritt,

The issue is the ballcock is the filling mechanism that is malfunctioning. As the float on the ballcock lifts it applies pressure on a washer that has house pressure pushing past it. When the ball is exerting a down force almost equal to the house pressure it can cause the washer to vibrate rapidly and that hum is amplified by the water pipe. The cure for this is to replace the supply tube and the ballcock with a Stainless steel supply and a fluidmaster 400a filling mechanism.( Both are upgrades from the factory stuff you have) While you are their replace the flapper with a new one then you are good for a while. The second place the noise can come from is if the angle stop valve is not all of the way open. To test this you need to flush the toilet and while it is making the noise turn the valve to full open ( counter clockwise) and see if the noise stops and the filling flow is faster.

Art

Thanks Art.. in full open it makes the noise... but when the valve is almost closed it stops... just figured this out...

Sounds like I need to perform surgery..

Thanks!

G

Edited by Gerritt

Thanks Art.. in full open it makes the noise... but when the valve is almost closed it stops... just figured this out...

Sounds like I need to perform surgery..

Thanks!

G

Replace ballcock, flapper, and supply tube then you are golden.

Art

It could also be the cut off washer fluttering but I would replace the ballcock,flapper and supply before the cut off.You should still be under 30 bux in parts.If that doesn't do it take a pic of the toilet..the back part without your parts in the picture and we will go from there.

Joe

is there a possibility it could be the shutoff causing this? reason I ask is because I am using a flex line to the toilet... would the ballcock still cause the copper pipe to vibrate in this manner using a flex line? Should I replace this as well?

Edited by Gerritt

It could be the washer in the cut off fluttering causing the problem.Its not always the place where the noise manifests itself that is the root of the problem.One part that malfunctions in the system can act like a slinky and reverberated thruout the house.A bad pressure reducing valve will make the house feel like a train is comoing thru the house when you flush the toilet.Some types of ballcocks are more likely to cause a vibration so a pic of the tank contents can go a long way.The cut off replacement is not that tough but if you screw it up then you wont have water till the plumber shows up,thats why the ballcock and flapper replacement are first order.

Joe

Start with the ballcock.If I was standing there I would lift the arm up a few times and listen to how it shut off.The fact that it has a slow fill prolly points to the ballcock.The flapper needs to be replaced just because.Thanx for the "g" rated pic ya teabagger.

Joe

You could also try adjusting the water valve that supplies the toilet(usually near the floor behind the toilet). Open it up a little or close it down a little. This may help and at least it will not cost you anything to try.

Rick

First, I'd replace whatever concoction you have going on with the coupled supply behind the toilet with a single supply line. The float valve should have a screw that controls the flow rate to the tank. Could be theres some debris in the float valve assembly, its not too expensive to replace. Like someone else said, the problem could also be further down the line. When you said the copper pipe was vibrating, did you mean the 3/8line to the toilet or the 1/2in coming out of the wall?