Diver attacks great white shark.

Syn

Funny...the only reason the shark was injured in the first place, was because they decided to kill it!!! This is where their own personal greed comes back into play! Do we want to release an endangered Great White, or do we want to fill our wallets?

Funny...the only reason the shark was injured in the first place, was because they decided to kill it!!! This is where their own personal greed comes back into play! Do we want to release an endangered Great White, or do we want to fill our wallets?

Read the story again,they said there was just no way that could get it out of the tuna pen,so they decided to kill it,had nothing to do with there own personal greed.

Edited by gaspumper

Read the story again,they said there was just no way that could get it out of the tuna pen,so they decided to kill it,had nothing to do with there own personal greed.

Actually, I would imagine they meant "there was no way that we could get it out of the tuna pen without losing some tuna.

Also, the diver is essentially using an underwater shotgun to kill a shark that has already been shot however many times from the boat. Doesn't really seem that heroic.

Edited by 4thgen

senseless slaughter under the disguise of protecting their fish stock...we're not talking yote's taking down sheep here...it's 6 m great white, truly impressive size and an endangered species.....so instead of losing some tuna and creating some repair work to the net, let's kill the shark....great idea, just more fuel for P3TA and other such groups....and in this case, I'd have to agree with them....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

heaven forbid these people protect their livestock and equipment. farmers can kill animals that threaten their livestock. why cant these guys?

farming tuna is big money and i wouldnt expect people to sit back and watch as a shark was damaging the nets or killing tuna. i just checked out a google book which stated the tuna ranched in mexico fetch an average of $30/kg. the maximum density per cage is 4kg per m3 in a 20,000m3 cage. assuming each farm follows this, each cage can have an average of $150k worth of tuna. tuna are caught and then placed in these cages to gain weight. just think of how much money it costs just to catch these fish and transport them to these holding cages.

soooo...to those who are crying about a shark being killed. its easy for you to sit here and try to make these guys look bad, but would you sit back and watch while an attacking shark could cost you or your employer over $150,000?

and a little tidbit i also found...

the record sale for a blue fin tuna is $175,000 for a 511 lb fish...$342 PER POUND! :blink:

Pure front page hogwash.

And so is comparing the tuna fishery to raising cattle..

HD

tuna are caught and then transferred into cages where they pack on weight for a season and then get sent to slaughter. cattle is purchased young and packs on weight before getting sent to slaughter as well. sounds like the same deal to me :dunno:

farmers can protect their livestock from predators. why cant tuna ranchers protect their fish from sharks?

Also, the diver is essentially using an underwater shotgun to kill a shark that has already been shot however many times from the boat. Doesn't really seem that heroic.

Actually it's not so much a shotgun as a firing mechanism on the end of a stick. The diver has to get right up next to the shark, pretty much place the powerhead against the shark and pull the trigger. Some of my spearfishing buddies use them in the Florida keys when hunting. The sharks come snooping around for the dead or wounded fish on the stringers and the guys use the bangsticks to scare 'em off - hopefully. Sometimes the sharks persist and the diver just lets him have the stringer. Discretion is sometimes the better part of valour.

I don't like being close to thrashing sharks in their own element. A dive buddy of mine once grabbed a small (4-5') nurse shark by the tail as we passed it by on the reef and it set up a great hoorah. I told him later he was an idiot. I was backpaddling as soon as he started that nonsense so I was well away from the fury, and trust me, that shark set up a great hoorah, and it was only a baby.

JF

it's an endangered species if nobody sees the diff between an endangered species as opposed to a yote pickin off sheep then so be it, not going to convince anybody otherwise...the article states it was attracted to the dead fish...net repair is common and a daily thing for off shore fish farming, not a big deal IMO...so they could jump in and distract it while they shot it and then attach a rope to its tail but no mention of any efforts to remove it unharmed??? it was there an easy meal, dead tuna, perhaps the article lacks some crucial info but there is no mention of it targeting live tuna stock

perhaps a live release simply was not possible, I'm not a fish farmer, but either way, to me it seems there's a bit of bragging rights involved to this, sure he might have balls of steel but is far from a hero in my books...but the point is that this whole incident draws negative publicity to the sport of fishing...farmed, sport or otherwise this is bad rep for the fishing industry....there's already enough tree huggers and P3TA people out there...

I'm not at all crying about the loss of the shark.....offshore fishing practices are under increasing scrutiny every year, does nobody here follow foreign affairs? it's not about buddy killing one shark, it's about the bigger picture and stuff like this is only adding fuel the fire....

it's an endangered species if nobody sees the diff between an endangered species as opposed to a yote pickin off sheep then so be it, not going to convince anybody otherwise....the article states it was attracted to the dead fish...net repair is common and a daily thing for off shore fish farming, not a big deal IMO...so they could jump in and distract it while they shot it and then attach a rope to its tail but no mention of any efforts to remove it unharmed??? it was there an easy meal, dead tuna, perhaps the article lacks some crucial info but there is no mention of it targeting live tuna stock

actually, the article stated that the shark bit through the net after detecting a COUPLE dead fish. the article also stated that there was no way to get it out, so the decision to kill it was made. id say they weighed their options and killing it was the only sensible method of removal.

i fully understand that people dont want to see an endangered species killed, but legally it doesnt matter if its an endangered species or not. farmers are allowed to protect their livelihood from endangered predators including cougar, leopard, lions, etc. great white too by the looks of it. :whistling:

i wonder how many armchair warriors here would jump into a relatively small pen with a healthy 6m long great white to try and save it? this guy was nuts for jumping in after the fish was likely half dead...

Edited by ch312