Checking your equipment before you go

Fisherman

It never fails, you always see someone unload the boat in the water, jump in, turn the key and click-click or a bit of no-no-no from the battery, a bunch of cursing a swearing. Off to Wallymart with the boat battery, see the man in the automotive section, can you please do a load test on this one, comes back, Gp24, 455/500 CCA at 5C. So that's about 90% for a 7 year old battery. So much for the naysayers about Wallymart neverstarts. Next, check anchor and tie lines, do the lights work(trailer too), shine up all connectors, boat plug & spare. Check tires and spare, torque wheel nuts, etc. :blahblah1:.

agreed. Always good to be ready before hitting the launch. I don't understand the point of view here though. You start off talking about "someone" at the boat launch having troubles, but then somehow you know how old this person's battery is and how it still had 90% charge. somewhere you lost me. Either you are the guy having no luck at the launch or you followed some stranger back to Walmart to check their battery??

being prepared not only saves you a lot of aggravation but also everyone else waiting at the launch for you to get the heck out of the way! I know I get pretty frustrated when guys are dinking around at the launch. Personally i shove off asap and fire up the engine once I've drifted away a bit. If it takes some time at least I'm not holding everyone up. If it never fires up I paddle back the 20 feet to the launch or if feeling lazy drop down the trolling motor.

Nope, not at all, I keep my batteries on a VDC electronic high frequency charger all winter(from taking them out of the boat or RV to putting them back in service), these chargers only put out a tiny amount, not meant for charging a battery from dead, just maintenance. Maybe I should have said "let the comedy at the boat launch commence" and here's how I prevent it happening to me. The Gp24 battery has a 4-3 tag, bought in April of 2003 and that's why I took it in this morning to see if it was still trustworthy, when the Wallymart guy saw the tag he was surprised it was still in that good a condition. I had one other battery that finally died last year, it was from '98. So, just saying, take care of and inspect your kit and it may save you some grief.

Safety first. cell phones are good, but I prefer a radio.The coast gaurd is always listening.They had me flip back and forth on the radio.Good job and thanks to the port weller crew last spring,A qiuck response and a pro job bringing me to shore.As to the 6 boats out at 50,you could see anyone waving,whistlng and what not.Good thing i didnt use a shot gun.When Im out there, I watch!Regardless!for stranded boaters!My lines or whatever.Binoculars and radio are always at hand.

Keep an eye out guys,it can happen to you!I know first hand.Cheers and play safe.

I bought a handheld radio last year but I think I'm gonna sell it and buy a fixed mount for the wider broadcast area. I spend 2-3 weeks a year on Nippissing plus the Ottawa & St. Lawrence Rivers and I think it's time to up-grade.

Another thing, make sure your flashlight works, I usually have 2-3 in the boat, the one in my safety kit, my mini-mag-lite and one of those big million candlepower spotlights for late night excursions. My boat is coming out of storage at the beginning of May and it will be spending a couple of weeks on my driveway so I can do some "Work" on it during the evenings (sitting in it having a cold drink with one or two of the neighbours) and also to replace the stereo. I bought a nice Clarion deck, 6 1/2" Clarion speakers, 5 1/4" Pyle speakers and a Pyle 400watt 4 channel amp.

Another thing, make sure your flashlight works, I usually have 2-3 in the boat, the one in my safety kit, my mini-mag-lite and one of those big million candlepower spotlights for late night excursions. My boat is coming out of storage at the beginning of May and it will be spending a couple of weeks on my driveway so I can do some "Work" on it during the evenings (sitting in it having a cold drink with one or two of the neighbours) and also to replace the stereo. I bought a nice Clarion deck, 6 1/2" Clarion speakers, 5 1/4" Pyle speakers and a Pyle 400watt 4 channel amp.

That will certainly drown out all the rackett out on the lake..I'm just going to rely on my Ipod this year