Lake Nipissing Water Level

Jonny

Oh and where the Temagami meets the Sturgeon in River Valley it's nothing but a fall trickle... Red Cedar is very very low.. our watershed is drying up.! :(

Randy

:canadian:

I wonder if that spot I grouse hunt up there will be dry this fall. First time for everything eh?

The ice on Nipissing is gone. Well, apparently if you look hard from a helicopter you might still see an isolated patch or two floating around the Manitou's.

The water level has not risen any in the last few days. I can still see the same sandbars as I could a week ago.

The ice on Nipissing is gone. Well, apparently if you look hard from a helicopter you might still see an isolated patch or two floating around the Manitou's.

The water level has not risen any in the last few days. I can still see the same sandbars as I could a week ago.

Not looking too good at this point Jocko.

I can run my old cedar strip but even that is kicking up mud in our creek.

I feel for all the tourist operators that are in shallow bays and creeks.

We really need some rain badly !

Not looking too good at this point Jocko.

I can run my old cedar strip but even that is kicking up mud in our creek.

I feel for all the tourist operators that are in shallow bays and creeks.

We really need some rain badly !

Send some rainy thoughts my way too, Bernie! We need some heavy rain all over the watershed to get the level up. If I tried to launch my boats right now, they'd be sitting on sand. And they're both too heavy to drag 100 yds or so to water.

Gey any rain there overnight lastnight and today? Got quite a bit lastnight here in Brantford

We're only getting little sprinkles here and there, tb4me. Nothing of consequence. If we're lucky, the rain forecast for Friday will be one of those steady all-day rainfalls...

north bay forecast.JPG

well it looks like A cluster of strong thunderstorms is moving quickly eastward from Michigan into Southwestern Ontario.Ill Keep my fingers crossed up there for you guys!! Raining here now

well it looks like A cluster of strong thunderstorms is moving quickly eastward from Michigan into Southwestern Ontario.Ill Keep my fingers crossed up there for you guys!! Raining here now

Come on, baby! Keep coming north!

radar.JPG

It's raining!!! And coming down pretty nicely too.

You can't believe how much we need this. Radar shows good rainfall north of us in the watershed as well. And the forecast is rainy for the next 3 days. Fingers crossed!

radar tues evening.JPG

well how much fell up there? we have had more than our share here! Water levels on the grand are high around here. Was in Dunville this aft. looked fast n furious.

Edited by tb4me

Not all that much, I'm afraid. And the dry ground soaked most of it up. It rained heavily off and on for a few hours but then kind of petered out.

We now have a winter storm watch - freezing rain, snow and ice pellets in the forecast now for overnight and tomorrow. But who knows how much we're gonna get.

Feels strange to be coming into spring and hoping for bad weather!!!

Still no water coming over the Sturgeon Falls dam when I passed by it an hour ago.

Edited by Jocko

Official "ice off" day was declared as yesterday, April 8th.

We've gotten enough rain and snow in the last two days that the fire bans in our region should be eased.

The creeks are up, better water flow into the lake, and the lake is up slightly. It's too early to be optimistic; the next few days should tell what the effect has been.

Updated picture this AM... compare to the pic in the lead-off post (taken March 26th)...

P4100028 800x600.JPG

Last year at this time the water was rising rapidly.

Edited by Jocko

• 4 weeks later...

The water level currently is officially pegged at 53 cm below normal for this time of year, which jives with what I've been estimating. The lowest level of my dock is usually awash this time of year, and right now it's about 2 ft above the water level.

Good news is it's raining heavily (finally) all over our watershed. Let's hope it keeps up!

http://www.nugget.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2559030postbox

Out of curiosity, do you know how old the Chaudiere Dams are and what were the Nip levels pre-dam?

My grandfather used to tell me about building the original bridge ,When they started to build the dam it was only like a large creak that ran thou there. I also had seen a map of the area from before they built it and thats how i found the deepest part of nipissing in that end of the lake.My grandfather past away in 79 at the age of 71 i believe so it was there long before that area was built up

No fear guys the rain is comming or maybe snow as we all know May 24 is just around the corner :thumbsup_anim:

I wish it was that easy it's going to be different for everyone this year as everywhere is low from way up north like you guys to here on LSC we can all use the rain.

My grandfather used to tell me about building the original bridge ,When they started to build the dam it was only like a large creak that ran thou there. I also had seen a map of the area from before they built it and thats how i found the deepest part of nipissing in that end of the lake.My grandfather past away in 79 at the age of 71 i believe so it was there long before that area was built up

this might help.

http://www.memquisitlodge.net/historynipissing.html

RFS

:canadian:

• 2 weeks later...

My friends and I are coming to Nipissing (NW around Verner) late in May. This is something like the 14th consecutive spring we have come up.

What I'm trying to figure out is whether the current low water situation is the worst we will have seen or not? I recall quite a number of years ago, there was very low water, and the Camp owner had to build temporary docks. Seemed like it was around 3ft below the top of the black water marks on rock faces nearby. I think we still caught a reasonable amount of Walleye during the week, but the memory fades.

The last three years with higher than normal water, and very Cold, we haven't fared too well, in the Walleye dept.

What's the consensus from you local folks? Is this the lowest water in memory for this time of year? Will it help or hurt the first couple of weeks Walleye (or Pickerel as I call them ... hey, I was originally from North Bay)? I'm assuming the water will be way warmer than last year, despite the cooler temps the last week or so, which usually helps the 'bite' from my experience.

thanks for the pictures and updates folks. the pics of the Sturgeon Dam (close to our Camp) are striking.

Edited by JimC

I sure hope you get the lake filled, for your sake and mine. This is the summer my wife have planned to start a serious cottage hunt and Nip is one of the areas we want to look at. I'm even thinking I might also set up a branch real estate office for myself so I'll have something to keep me occupied besides fishing. If any of you know of any modest places for sale let me know. I don't necessarily have to be on a lake. I kinda like the idea of trailering the boat around a bit to explore different spots. And if you think you need a new real estate office in the area let me know. I promise to be on my best business behaviour. :thumbsup_anim:

JF