Lake Nipissing Water Level

Jonny

Just going to throw this out there, perhaps this isn't the right thread. If the walleye fishing is slow in the more traditional areas, perhaps you may want to try for suspended fish over the deepest parts of the lake. I heard a bunch of theories this past winter that the walleye are changing there feeding habits with an abundance of smelt in the system.It maybe time especialy with low water levels to get out the in-line boards, line counter reels and such and start fishing for suspended fish.I would be interested to see any results and perhaps the theory of the fish changing there feeding habits can be proven.Who knows someone may just discover an incredible fishery thats been there all the time

If the walleye fishing is slow in the more traditional areas, perhaps you may want to try for suspended fish over the deepest parts of the lake.

That's a very interesting thought. Sure would be worth trying.

As for the water level affecting the fishing, I personally don't believe that can be the case. The fish will be feeding as they always do, just maybe not in some of the "traditional" places. What does a pickerel care if the water is 2 feet down when there are still plenty of places where it can find its preferred depth.

Re: conditions on the West Arm of Nipissing..

Things are indeed very dry up north..

However our docks and boat launching are still usable. We have done some renovations to accomodate the conditions, by lowering our ramps and also have a couple new floating docks on order. A few of our shore docks are not usable but most of the outer docks are in good shape.

New rocks to watch out for on Nipissing.. pay close attention to the hydrographic maps (on sell at the lodge). Go slow.

Expect lots of weed growth in the shallow bays. Don't be surprised to see jelly fish!~

Water temps are now over 73F.

Fire condtions are serious... refer to: http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/AFFM/2ColumnSubPage/268862.html

The biggest concern for the OFC weekend may be that campers have to use propane for cooking. As one week ago we are under a "restricted fire zone" and no camp fires are allowed. But the OFC weekend is still almost 4 weeks away and weather can change.

Fish are biting pretty good. Walleyes were hot opening weekend and slowed down some this past weekend. However we were catching both walleys and pike off the docks. Both pike and walleye turned on in Muskrat the last few days.

the cap't

That's a very interesting thought. Sure would be worth trying.

As for the water level affecting the fishing, I personally don't believe that can be the case. The fish will be feeding as they always do, just maybe not in some of the "traditional" places. What does a pickerel care if the water is 2 feet down when there are still plenty of places where it can find its preferred depth.

The water levels can concentrate the baitfish and food in different parts of the lake which will change the feeding patterns of the walleye.If the walleye can suspend around a school of smelt comfortably there more then likely to concentrate there feeding there instead of traditional shoal type areas.Your right the walleye are going to feed no matter what the lake levels are,but if the shoals are not giving them there comfort they will change there habits.Anyway it's just a thought, the fish gotta be somewhere

Re: conditions on the West Arm of Nipissing..

Things are indeed very dry up north..

However our docks and boat launching are still usable. We have done some renovations to accomodate the conditions, by lowering our ramps and also have a couple new floating docks on order. A few of our shore docks are not usable but most of the outer docks are in good shape.

New rocks to watch out for on Nipissing.. pay close attention to the hydrographic maps (on sell at the lodge). Go slow.

Expect lots of weed growth in the shallow bays. Don't be surprised to see jelly fish!~

Water temps are now over 73F.

Fire condtions are serious... refer to: http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/AFFM/2ColumnSubPage/268862.html

The biggest concern for the OFC weekend may be that campers have to use propane for cooking. As one week ago we are under a "restricted fire zone" and no camp fires are allowed. But the OFC weekend is still almost 4 weeks away and weather can change.

Fish are biting pretty good. Walleyes were hot opening weekend and slowed down some this past weekend. However we were catching both walleys and pike off the docks. Both pike and walleye turned on in Muskrat the last few days.

the cap't

Thanks for the info Capt..

Going to Nip for a week June 19-26, so hope that it is some what easy to nav that entire area on the south shore. May head out deeper. Usually fish anywhere between Waydes landing and hunter bay area. and up along the east ridge north of the South River.

Well everyone I was just up on lake nipissing fishing and I was staying at my moms cottage in lavigne, I would have to say the water is low but the fishing was really good, I caught lats of walleye and about 40 pike between 4 guys, the biggest pike was about 9lbs , the biggest walleye was 6.2lbs with lots of 3,4, and 5, water temp was 67 and most of the fish were not in the usual spots, I just looked for some fresh green weeds and pulled them out of there. water is really low for sure but the fish are all ther just gotta work a little harder, to find them

I will post some picures tomorrow. all in all I was impressed with the fishing, drove by Lakair and it looks pretty good.

[/quote

whats the ramp like beside Chez Pierre's in Lavigne? I will be up there in a couple weeks and that is the ramp I usually use .thanks

Just going to throw this out there, perhaps this isn't the right thread. If the walleye fishing is slow in the more traditional areas, perhaps you may want to try for suspended fish over the deepest parts of the lake. I heard a bunch of theories this past winter that the walleye are changing there feeding habits with an abundance of smelt in the system.It maybe time especialy with low water levels to get out the in-line boards, line counter reels and such and start fishing for suspended fish.I would be interested to see any results and perhaps the theory of the fish changing there feeding habits can be proven.Who knows someone may just discover an incredible fishery thats been there all the time

I have to agree.

Last fall Iw as fishing the Nip and was out deep 30+ feet and seemed to me they were suspended.

Adjusted my depth trolling and got a few that way.

Here is an article from the Sudbury Star. It was posted 3 months ago. but explains it.

http://www.thesudburystar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2437149

For anyone fishing the North Bay area shore line the Walleye bite is on. They are hitting worms and minnows on jigs and in-line spinners (Go-getters, harnesses). The common depth is 10-15 but there are reports of success in the 5-8 depth range and 15-25 depth range.

Did ya move that rock that broke my trailer light Kevin?? lol

As for campfires... Sister-in-law looked into that when I warned her for her place on Manitoulin... and as long as you do regular rounds, have two way communications with the office while doing said round and know where the fire fighting equipment is you can allow it in the grounds. Check with the MNR...

Heck.. here's the link and the rules the campground owner is to post and follow..

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/AFFM/2ColumnSubPage/STEL02_165456.html