Lake Nipissing Water Level

Jonny

The problem with this low water is the walleye won't get to their spawning sites, then they will raise the water after the spawn putting the eggs in water that maybe too deep for their survival. Hope we get some rain prior to the spawn.

The problem with this low water is the walleye won't get to their spawning sites, then they will raise the water after the spawn putting the eggs in water that maybe too deep for their survival. Hope we get some rain prior to the spawn.

it's a catch 22.. if they hold onto the water in nippissing, then there is not enough in the french and the same thing happens there.

it's a catch 22.. if they hold onto the water in nippissing, then there is not enough in the french and the same thing happens there.

As I understand it there is a binding agreement in place that guarantees a maximum and a minimum water flow to stakeholders on the French River. (Apparently put in place when the Chaudiere Dam was built?) There is no such guarantee for stakeholders on Nipissing. That has an impact as well.

As I understand it there is a binding agreement in place that guarantees a maximum and a minimum water flow to stakeholders on the French River. (Apparently put in place when the Chaudiere Dam was built?) There is no such guarantee for stakeholders on Nipissing. That has an impact as well.

Out of curiosity, do you know how old the Chaudiere Dams are and what were the Nip levels pre-dam?

btw, this is from the pwgsc website. http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/ontario/eaux-water/renseignement-information-eng.html

Looks like Nippissing is above the average and the French below. Suggesting they are in fact holding water back in the lake.

"Lake Nipissing and French River

Recorded Water Level Forecast

The following is the water level forecast for Lake Nipissing and the French River as of Monday, March 22, 2010 as provided by Public Works and Government Services Canada. The precipitation for March, as of March 22, is 0.2% of the monthly average . The inflows into the lake are currently above the long-term average inflow.

Lake Nipissing

As of March 22, 2010 the water level elevation of Lake Nipissing was 194.92 metres. The lake level is 30 centimetres above the long-term average. The lake level is expected to rise during the next few days. Further change in the lake level is dependent on the amount of inflows and precipitation .

French River

At Dry Pine Bay, the river level on March 22, 2010 was 180.72 metres , which corresponds to a flow of 84 cubic metres per second . The river level is 56 centimetres below the long-term average, which corresponds to a flow of 104 cubic metres per second below the long-term average. The river level is expected to be stable during the next few days. Further change in the river levels will be dependent on the amount of inflows and precipitation .

The next update will be on Monday, March 29, 2010. "

Out of curiosity, do you know how old the Chaudiere Dams are and what were the Nip levels pre-dam?

No, sorry.

Yes, that Public Works site tends to sound encouraging, but if it's not read carefully for what it doesn't say it can be misleading.

Also, I can't for the life of me see that the lake at this particular time is a foot above any long term average, even for the end of winter. I'd be able to walk half way to North Bay! :)

Also, I can't for the life of me see that the lake at this particular time is a foot above any long term average, even for the end of winter. I'd be able to walk half way to North Bay! :)

Are you suggesting the gov't is lying to you?? ;):D

UPDATE - March 29th.

No water at all coming through the chutes at the Sturgeon Falls Dam today, just the flow through the penstocks.

The water level in the lake in the past few days has risen only very slightly.

This afternoon, the ice out on the lake went from white to gray.

UPDATE - March 29th.

No water at all coming through the chutes at the Sturgeon Falls Dam today, just the flow through the penstocks.

The water level in the lake in the past few days has risen only very slightly.

This afternoon, the ice out on the lake went from white to gray.

Funny how that happens..goes to show elevation ..Now that the gate is closed and the Turbine is barely running the

Sturgeon River levels both Upper and Lower have fallen...

my "Walleye Rockpile" is even dryer than it was last week.

Today,I went up to River Valley and back towards 17 through Warren & Kipling and Verner then to Cache Bay via 64& Leclair Rd...... NO WATER!!!! :(

The Beavers will have a busy summer!!

We need rain and a lot of it.

RFS

:canadian:

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

Funny how that happens..goes to show elevation ..Now that the gate is closed and the Turbine is barely running the

Sturgeon River levels both Upper and Lower have fallen...

my "Walleye Rockpile" is even dryer than it was last week.

Today,I went up to River Valley and back towards 17 through Warren & Kipling and Verner then to Cache Bay via 64& Leclair Rd...... NO WATER!!!! :(

The Beavers will have a busy summer!!

We need rain and a lot of it.

RFS

Yes I see the reply now... in the original message as well. Strange, I've seen other posts where there was just a quote and no reply. But most "quoted" posts appear normally.

Your observations are worrisome. After the dry March (desert-like, almost) around here, I wonder what the chances are of heavy rain in April?

Now if all guys going to Nipissing took some of their own water this might help...you know...each boat bring a 5 gallon bucket of water and pour it into the lakebefore launching.... :clapping:

Or fill your boat with water at home, get it on the launch ramp, open the drain plug, and contribute! :P

The forecasts keep looking the same... rain predicted several days away, but it never comes. :blush:

forecast.JPG

Now if all guys going to Nipissing took some of their own water this might help...you know...each boat bring a 5 gallon bucket of water and pour it into the lake before launching.... :clapping:

You can just bring a couple sacrificial of cases of beer. Kidding, kidding. :thumbsup_anim:

Latest over flight pics I've seen of the area North of Sudbury and Temagami... snow is for all intensive purposes gone.. and the creek beds are darn near dry...

20+C over the weekend won't help. There'd better be a LOT of rain in the next month...

Latest over flight pics I've seen of the area North of Sudbury and Temagami... snow is for all intensive purposes gone.. and the creek beds are darn near dry...

20+C over the weekend won't help. There'd better be a LOT of rain in the next month...

My Bro In Law was bang on the $$... gettin reports from friends in KL Cobalt and Latchford... they're gettin' worried too.... Temag. is just like West Nip. we need 40 days and 40 nights.

Randy