Lake Nipissing Water Level

Jonny

Marty, that's lookin pretty serious for those of us that will be fishing Nippissing this summer, is that Sandy Island ??

Yeah Lew, That's Sandy Haven Camp on Sandy Island.Lunge water level.jpg

Here's Lunge Lodge on the Upper French

Edited by Slimeball

Man O Day, it sure looks like people are going to be hurtin' big time with levels like that. Sure hope the rain gods are kind to you folks .... soon.

You're certainly right about that, Rich. But I can't help but think how good they have it compared to the poor folks in the Gulf. Sure mother nature will throw us a curve ball from time to time but this gulf stuff is all about greed and greed will be the end of us.

How do you guys think the low water levels will affect the fishing on the Upper French? Obviously navigation will be mopre difficult, but will it really change the fishery and the patterns much? I'm heading up in early June...any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

How do you guys think the low water levels will affect the fishing on the Upper French? Obviously navigation will be mopre difficult, but will it really change the fishery and the patterns much? I'm heading up in early June...any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

For the most part, I have experienced good fishing when the water levels are low on the Upper French/Nipissing watershed.......then again, I have never seen them this low in the past 20 years.

I will be more concerend about the current weather patterns when I am up there. As for changing the fishery, I don't know other than this is not a good spawning year for the walleye, pike, musky.......

GCiotola, what species will you be targeting when your up?

Guest nuker

eeesh. i'm heading down there on wednesday to kick off the long weekend. staying at cosy cove cottages in trillicum bay i think. it's going to be a big disappointment if these water levels make our fishing harder, and cause damage to our boats!

we were looking at that big bay of islands to the southwest but with these water levels, i have a feeling we'll be losing props.

any suggestions as to where we should look to fish given the situation would super appreciated!

I'm heading up to the French river as well next week. Commanda island, specifically.

Definitely anxious to hear what the conditions are like.

Lower French is extremely low. If your'e staying at Cranes Lochaven, you should give them a call to get a report.

Edited by Slimeball

Lower French is extremely low. If your'e staying at Cranes Lochaven, you should give them a call to get a report.

Yeah, I think I'll do that early next week.

Not that it'll make much difference, I'm going regardless.

I'll be primarily targeting Pike and Musky...but we fish for walleye in the evenings.

Like Marty said the weed growth should be in good shape by early-mid June this year. For pike I like the Rapala Husky Jerk model-HJ14, the Rapala 4 3/4" X-Rap, Rapala Glidin' Rap, Storm paddletail plastics,Mepps #5 spinners....dont forget spoons and spinnerbaits.

As for musky the season does not open till' the third Saturday in June. It is illegal to target out of season fish even if you plan on releasing them.

Good Luck and be safe.

The lake level has only come up negligibly in the last month. A couple of cm maybe.

We're in big trouble for launching a boat where I am.

But the fish, if I can get to them, will still be biting. They gotta eat. Aside from the spawn, I don't think they care too much about the lake level; they'll just shift to their preferred depth and structure in other places.

I'm heading up to the French river as well next week. Commanda island, specifically.

Definitely anxious to hear what the conditions are like.

I sent Eddy an email to see what conditions are like. I will update you. The PWGC site says the Lwr French is nearly 100cms (1 metre) below normal at Dry Pine. Open the locks!!!!

Nothing coming in....nothing going out.

The main lake is well over 2 ft low as yet.

What is really worrying me is what will happen mid summer when the lake naturally goes down even further.

Not going to be good.

The rain will come and probably when you really don't want it....here's it's been raining for almost a week now and everyone here is SICK of it...suppose to be sunny Sat/Sun..hope so as my deck has been washed and needs a clear coat for protection. I haven't fished since opening weekend...May 1st.

Bob

I measured the water levels this morning at the Government Docks here in Sturgeon Falls the Sturgeon River is 48" low.... Cottages on the north shore will not be able to put their rental boats in the water...

places like Glenrock, Dutrisac Cottages, Pakes Lodge, Panorama Camp,

Au Lys Blanc , Cache Bay Tent and Trailer.. and most others docks are surrounded with mud or very little water... It's gonna be terrible for cottagers this Saturday for opener it will be darn near impossible to launch a tub I tells ya.

Randy

:canadian:

Randy, HI....

I have fished the Sturgeon River several times in the late 70's and early 80's....I thought the river pretty much ran north and south making the sides West and East... we use to stay at a place called Nippressing Lodge (or something like that) that was I would say on the East side of the river...please correct my ignorance.The owners were native Canadians, at least the man (Jim I think) was and his wife's name was Jane. GREAT host as they would, back then keep a stash of extra cases of beer for sale for us crazy Americans that they knew would run of good cold CANADIAN BEER...:<)

Bob

Billy Bob,

Randy is referring to the north side of the lake. You are correct, the river runs North / South.

The North shore of the lake (on which the City of North Bay is located) is very shallow. With the lack of water this year the entire side of the lake is struggling for launching boats. Regulars who have paid for boat slips (some costing $600+ per year) will have to keep them out of the water for a bit yet.

Only 8" of water where my slip is. My trailer is at Glenrock which Randy mentions. We have at least 40 extra feet of beach. I'll take a few pics this weekend.

I will leave my 17' boat at home in my driveway and try the shoals and weedbeds in close to shore out of my 9' punt boat.

For the long weekend I'll use the river to access the lake. VERY CARFULLY I MIGHT ADD.