What's with the ads?

cheaptackle

Geez - all I did was ask if something was urgently wrong! When I saw "bot" in the avatar I thought the board was being hacked.

Yes, I did say the ads were annoying, but I also said that it could be gotten used to in time, and shut up about it.

TJ and the entire support team - my apologies for this entire fiasco. I had no idea this would balloon the way it has.

To those would might be a bit unhappy with the changes - give them a chance! TJ had the ads pulled almost right away once a few voices indicated they weren't happy, let it go for now please! Let them all do their jobs to bring us the best internet forum experience one can have for free! And I don't think any paysite could do any better than the gang here has.

If we keep whining like this, just imagine what would happen if they decide the grief is enough and shut it down completely? I for one do not want to see that day come, and hope/pray/beg you all feel the same.

PLEASE - lay off! Enough already!

Let's get back to fishing talk now!

Michael

Geez - all I did was ask if something was urgently wrong! When I saw "bot" in the avatar I thought the board was being hacked.

Yes, I did say the ads were annoying, but I also said that it could be gotten used to in time, and shut up about it.

TJ and the entire support team - my apologies for this entire fiasco. I had no idea this would balloon the way it has.

To those would might be a bit unhappy with the changes - give them a chance! TJ had the ads pulled almost right away once a few voices indicated they weren't happy, let it go for now please! Let them all do their jobs to bring us the best internet forum experience one can have for free! And I don't think any paysite could do any better than the gang here has.

If we keep whining like this, just imagine what would happen if they decide the grief is enough and shut it down completely? I for one do not want to see that day come, and hope/pray/beg you all feel the same.

Michael

an

Yes...Please back to the fish talk......I didn't spend the last three days staring at the back of Rick's head with his face in the computer for nothing..............Please, appreciate all the hard work these guy do for nothing more than the love of the sport. I can vouch that Rick, for one, is NOT wealthy from any revenue for his trouble.

Really....The site is still the same..just looks a little different, before you know it, you wont' remember what had you so bent out of shape.

Certainly doesn't seem to be with quitting over...Kind of puts me in mind of kids that don't get their own way. So that being said..stay if you want..and if you don't...Your loss!!!!

I say bring back the bots.There is nothing there that will offend me or most people.I have seen the oppulant lifestyle the owners of the website live and they need to be supported in their caviar lifestyle.Its all aboot the money,the yachts,the mansions and the wimmins.If you are offended by an add that keeps the site afloat then maybe you should leave.I don't want to hear a bout the kids,there are almost none here and you can disable the adds if your kids are in the room.The adds are just the cost of doing business these days,nobody here is getting rich off us.The changes are needed for security reasons,I know Rick and the other mods,they are not the kind to make this stuff up!Give them some time and this board will be as good as new.I know this because I have been thru 3 or 4 changes so far.I'm all for these guys doing what it takes to not lose money here,I enjoy the place enough I want them to make some money in the process!Bring on the adds!Just no pop ups if you can help it!

Joe

Michael

Michael please no worries.

All input negative or positive is appreciated. In the end it's all about making the membership happy because obviously without all you good folks we wouldn't exist. We'll tweak this bit by bit and hopefully in the end all will be happy.

Is this why my invitation to adbot to go fishin went unanswered?

I vote we bring the little fellow back and see if he can help support this board and all of its Volunteer Moderators, coders and the man who created OFC. If all we need to do is see a few ads sprinkled in the threads I am good with it. You all might find that the ads are something you are interested in and by CLICKING on them you get some information and the adbot lets a few pennies fall in to the OFC account.The more "interest" shown to the ads the fewer sponsors we will need to advertise and support our OFC habit.

Art

I am with Gerritt on this. Some good some bad, had to be done so that's life. I hate ad bots it is like spam that is paid for. I love the way it works with my Iphone. It is so fast. I say give the boys more time to tweak it, they barely have there trousers off with the new rig.

Now the really burning question is..... What does the Mayor of Rice Lake think of it?

I would never never ever agree with Gerritt, he's liable to "Tea Bag" you.

Depends on what voice the Mayor is listening to at the time....

I would never never ever agree with Gerritt, he's liable to "Tea Bag" you.

Depends on what voice the Mayor is listening to at the time....

Hahahahahaha!

you should see what I do with my coffee grinds Ron!

G.

these ads are terrible. they can be rationalized all you want, but they are unsightly and look unprofessional IMHO.

You are entitled to your opinion but the "professionalism" of this site has always been head and shoulders above most other sites with the amount of traffic that they have.I feel for ya though.I was terrified by the adds also,made me blind in one eye I tell ya.Almost made me forget how to capitalize when starting a sentence.You must be totally traumatized.

Joe

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

funny as it may be, it doesn't take any credit from what i say, or make me (or others) change our minds.

also, you don't spare the chance to take a jab at me do you? even when i'm trying to rally support behind donating money to improve the site.

grow up tough guy. and put a shirt on for heavens sake.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

he likes to give me a hard time. apparently he holds grudges.

besides, "in jest" i told him to put a shirt over his perogies.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Just a question....

"these ads are terrible. they can be rationalized all you want, but they are unsightly and look unprofessional IMHO. "

Which ads?? the ones in the threads were removed this morning... and the other ads we have at the top of the page are very similar to what we had running before... Im not being critical.. just a bit confused???

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Which ads?? the ones in the threads were removed this morning... and the other ads we have at the top of the page are very similar to what we had running before... Im not being critical.. just a bit confused??? [/size][/font]

i was speaking about the thread ads. i guess they didn't bug me that much because i didn't notice them being gone... :blush:

these ads are terrible. they can be rationalized all you want, but they are unsightly and look unprofessional IMHO.

Well, you said 'are unprofessional' which is the present tense. That is where the confusion came, since they were removed.

BTW, what defines a 'professional' site? I am interested.

OFC MICKEY MOUSE" ... after 10 years of trial and tribulations here, hours and hours of good work and deeds for other people... well, that just hurts my feelings.

Remember when Wayne Gretzky called the New Jersey Devils a Mickey Mouse organization?

Who had the last laugh there eh? ;)

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

BTW, what defines a 'professional' site? I am interested.

This is a professional site. This is why something like embedded ads seemed out of place and tacky. Anyways, I'm glad they are gone. I guess y'all had similar notions. New site looks great otherwise :worthy:

Hey Rick and or TJ...

I'm having some issues with the display....sometimes when i'm reading a post, there's words missing on it...if I take my mouse over it and highlight it, I can see them...and the 4 green bars on the bottom of everyones' posts..... a quarter of it is on the left side and three quarters of it are on the right side....weird....

Any ideas?

I don't find much of a difference in the way the site looks, certainly not anything to complain about. I don't see what all the fuss is about with a few ads embedded in the threads. Fer Gods sake....you're gonna quit visiting a site because you feel ads make it look unprofessional....gimme a break! I don't think I've ever been on a website that didn't bombard you with ads.

Great job TJ, Rick and others....give yourselves a big pat on the back and keep up the good work!!

Hi my name is Bruce and I am an a ss . I see now that I should not have let my frustration in loseing something I enjoy so much ,( I feel like I am sitting on my boat or around a camp fire and talking with good friends every time I login ), to make me forget my manners (sorry mom ya taught me better)and I really regret my choice of words and the manner in which they were said.I remember (now after thinking instead of reacting) that Rick did say that the site was not going to work in ie7, well hes right IT DOES NOT.I keep this site up on my work computer all day every day ,being a work machine and rules and such I can not load another broswer and so Im stuck , once at home I loaded firefox and with a bit of this and that the site now runs fine in that browser (Rick if you want to drive your self nutts load ie7 and try the hold ctrl and use your scrool wheel and do it over and over untill your computer freezes and than be so stu[pid to reread the post and do it again)In ie7 the green bar at the top overlaps the title so you just see OFC comm and than the green login bar covers the rest its bigger than the title , posts overlap and do not line up straight , pictures allso cover each other avaters are bigger than the post , the green edit etc. at the bottom of the post is allso bigger than the post itself and if someone Quotes someone forget it and so on and so on ,that is what I ment by the mouse thing and the unprofessional look . I guess that is what Rick ment WHEN HE SAID IT DONT WORK IN ie7, go figure. Sorry all at least in ie7 lo fi it works ok ,I will learn to live with it Im sure . because as G said a rose in any color smells the same.At home things work well, probably better for my employer , Again I beg forgiveness ,(I need a good recipe for CROW the one Im chewing on now dont taste so good) Bruce

Hi my name is Bruce and I am an a ss . I see now that I should not have let my frustration in loseing something I enjoy so much ,( I feel like I am sitting on my boat or around a camp fire and talking with good friends every time I login ), to make me forget my manners (sorry mom ya taught me better)and I really regret my choice of words and the manner in which they were said.I remember (now after thinking instead of reacting) that Rick did say that the site was not going to work in ie7, well hes right IT DOES NOT.I keep this site up on my work computer all day every day ,being a work machine and rules and such I can not load another broswer and so Im stuck , once at home I loaded firefox and with a bit of this and that the site now runs fine in that browser (Rick if you want to drive your self nutts load ie7 and try the hold ctrl and use your scrool wheel and do it over and over untill your computer freezes and than be so stu[pid to reread the post and do it again)In ie7 the green bar at the top overlaps the title so you just see OFC comm and than the green login bar covers the rest its bigger than the title , posts overlap and do not line up straight , pictures allso cover each other avaters are bigger than the post , the green edit etc. at the bottom of the post is allso bigger than the post itself and if someone Quotes someone forget it and so on and so on ,that is what I ment by the mouse thing and the unprofessional look . I guess that is what Rick ment WHEN HE SAID IT DONT WORK IN ie7, go figure. Sorry all at least in ie7 lo fi it works ok ,I will learn to live with it Im sure . because as G said a rose in any color smells the same.At home things work well, probably better for my employer , Again I beg forgiveness ,(I need a good recipe for CROW the one Im chewing on now dont taste so good) Bruce

You didn't hear this from me, Bruce, but you can load a portable version of Firefox onto a flash drive and plug it into your work computer. It doesn't install, it runs off the flash drive. This may help you at work....or get your IT guy a few beers and get him to put IE8 on your computer. It runs fine in that.