How do I get into the fishing industry??

rock34

I am a reasonably successful person in my profession and I do enjoy what I do for a living. However the passion is not there like it is with fishing. I want to get into the fishing industry some way or another. I want to wake up and think about fishing rods, tackle, techniques, etc. any or all of those to be exact. I have a strong business and leadership education background, I am reasonably young, I fish many different styles and have all my life. I am so passionate about the industry that I am willing to start in any area just to get my foot in the door. So, the question is, how do I break into the industry and what types of jobs should I be looking for? I dont care if it is promotions for a company on a part time volunteer basis even. My end goal I believe would be to become a rep for a fishing company throughout a specific region. If it takes 15years to get there the so be it.

I know the argument that pleasure that becomes business eventually becomes work but I dont believe that in this case.

Thanks all.

Cheers

Rock, maybe a PT gig at a local/larger tackle shop would be a start. Then you can meet some of the current tackle reps and start a business relationship. Sounds like you already know, but its's a tough egg to crack. You can also contact the various distibution companies that rep certain products/companies in Canada as they are sometimes looking for sales reps. Good Luck.

Edited by Harrison

I am a reasonably successful person in my profession and I do enjoy what I do for a living. However the passion is not there like it is with fishing. I want to get into the fishing industry some way or another. I want to wake up and think about fishing rods, tackle, techniques, etc. any or all of those to be exact. I have a strong business and leadership education background, I am reasonably young, I fish many different styles and have all my life. I am so passionate about the industry that I am willing to start in any area just to get my foot in the door. So, the question is, how do I break into the industry and what types of jobs should I be looking for? I dont care if it is promotions for a company on a part time volunteer basis even. My end goal I believe would be to become a rep for a fishing company throughout a specific region. If it takes 15years to get there the so be it.

I know the argument that pleasure that becomes business eventually becomes work but I dont believe that in this case.

Thanks all.

Cheers

It probably works just like any other industry. Write a great resume. Get a list of the companies that you think you'd like to work with. Start mailing. Don't undersell yourself. Most companies are suspicious about anyone willing to take less than they're qualified for despite the rationale offered. I think they figure you're either exaggerating your abilities or you'll walk away when you get tired of the underachieving job you get. That doesn't mean you can't say you're willing to start in a learning role but make it clear where you expect to end up, and soon.

I speak from experience having gone thru the very same experience in the sled industry back in the day.

JF

Theres not a lot of money in the industry in the retail end of things. I managed a tackle shop for 4 yrs. It was a great fishing experience but didnt help my retirement plan any. Being a jobber(independant tackle supplier) is a cut throat business and most dont last for a long time. Really the best way of having success is to open a tackle shop. That said almost 90 % of them fail in their first year.

You could work at a resort - most are kitchen help though

http://www.noto.net/bulletins/talk.cfm?I=2

http://sudbury.kijiji.ca/c-jobs-bar-food-hospitality-Chef-Assistant-Island-10-Fishing-Retreat-W0QQAdIdZ191939112

Apply to the manufacturers as John suggested.

http://www.ontariofishing.net/linkspages/Manufacturers/Tackle/

The Government also has positions all the time (although, not exactly what you want I don't think):

http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Search.aspx

I think you need to think of what you would like to do and focus on that. There are a lot of completely different jobs that all qualify as fishing related. Charter boat operator, lodge owner/operator, fishing guide, float plane pilot, tackle retail/manufacturing/distribution, tournament fisherman, biologist, hatchery technition, CO, etc. to name a few. All of these have completely different qualifications and paths to get there.

you could come to fleming college and take fish and wildlife tech(nician)/(ologist). Its a course that I'm currently enrolled in and if you're serious about your education you should be able to succeed. Unfortunately, there aren't that many jobs in this sector of the industry either.

I am currently hiring as of this month. I am looking for a part time roe bag technician. You will be in charge of tying various colours and sizes of cured and non-cured brown and rainbow roe. The hours hours are flexible. Usually Fridays and Saterday nights and you may be required to work weekends throughout October, November, December,late February and March (includes overtime). All training will be provided. Pay starts at 2 cents per bag and after 2 years you can earn 5 cents per bag. Please forward your resume a.s.a.p.