Sportsman Show Deals

motion

The first dollar I ever made is worth a few bucks today. It features the likeness of Princess Patricia, daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Connaught and patron of the famous Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry.

Old Pete could probably get me my own private loge for that.

With that kind of longevity Roy, it might be you passing judgement on St. Peter.

Jim

I hope you and your $48 are very happy together. I spent $30 yesterday for my wife and son and I to hit golf balls into a field. Dig what I'm saying? Saint Peter isn't giving better spots to those with the first dollar they ever made.

I had a good day of walking about looking at things.

Jim

me and my $48 bucks are quite happy .. thanks for asking .. now why dont ya find a golfing site to go to and tell them all about you fantastic day wackin your balls

For $48, I got myself a large no tangle extendible net and 10 packs of Yum soft baits at BPS. Thought I might go down to the show with that $5 after 5pm deal this year but after splurging at BPS (Nice JDM Daiwa Bradia and a cute like 1000 Sahara with a $20 rebate) and at Lebaron (Power-Pro for $12), my cards are maxed. Now a days, you don't need to go to the shows for good deals anymore. Just hit all the sales at the local stores.

Gagnon is having their annual yard sale in mid April, so I guess I have a month to clear up some of my debts.

For $48, I got myself a large no tangle extendible net and 10 packs of Yum soft baits at BPS. Thought I might go down to the show with that $5 after 5pm deal this year but after splurging at BPS (Nice JDM Daiwa Bradia and a cute like 1000 Sahara with a $20 rebate) and at Lebaron (Power-Pro for $12), my cards are maxed. Now a days, you don't need to go to the shows for good deals anymore. Just hit all the sales at the local stores.

Gagnon is having their annual yard sale in mid April, so I guess I have a month to clear up some of my debts.

You can almost hear the beaver pooping.

Jim

I do have to agree - $17 a head to walk through the door is a bit on the steep side (even with a $2 ofah coupon it still stung) and that money could have been spent on more trinkets at BPS - but I don't plan on going every year - I'm guessing once every 5 or so should be plenty. It's like eating at McDee's once you get it out of your system you don't need to do it again for a long time.

I work downtown so I walked over and took advantage of the $5 after 5pm deal...nice!

Was looking for the new Minkota Terrova 80lbs/US2/iPilot. Was all set to buy from Lebaron (no tax sale) and they where out of stock & no rain check option :-(

Turns out Radioworld did even better - matched US pricing! Saved some nice coin.

Cheers

Ted

its his form of humor .. pretty sad really

Here is my form of humor in reply.

It's probably the same pooping beaver he wacks his little balls at those few times a month when she is in heat LOL!!!

Edited by Bernie66

My wife, daughter and I went Friday. Parking was 10 bucks at the harbourfront's parking lot almost underneath the Gardener about a 5 min walk from the show...cheaper than the train. To get our money's worth we watched all the shows and ate outside for 5$ at the chip trucks. I ended up buying a 50cc arctic cat atv for my daughter for $999 which was 500 bucks cheaper than Bass Pro's sale price. Country Corners also had 250cc dvx's for 2800 (all brand new). Pizza Pizza made a killing overcharging for a slice with pop and chips, almost 7$. Why do people fall for it????

My wife, daughter and I went Friday. Parking was 10 bucks at the harbourfront's parking lot almost underneath the Gardener about a 5 min walk from the show...cheaper than the train. To get our money's worth we watched all the shows and ate outside for 5$ at the chip trucks. I ended up buying a 50cc arctic cat atv for my daughter for $999 which was 500 bucks cheaper than Bass Pro's sale price. Country Corners also had 250cc dvx's for 2800 (all brand new). Pizza Pizza made a killing overcharging for a slice with pop and chips, almost 7$. Why do people fall for it????

I took the subway down from Downsview (for $3) and talk about relaxing! Would definitely do it again that way..along Finch Ave to the 400 and well on the way home..

pics..people choose to eat different things everyday..quiznos/subway sub for $10?..why do people do that? Tim Horton coffee for over $1?..parking for $10 or $20..lol

I had the pizza pizza combo for $6 and change..didnt feel like going outside to save $1.50

Edited by ColdH20guy

I took my kids down yesterday with the GO Train, another great option, 2 kids free and daddy forked out $13 for the round trip. The setup with the shuttle bus or the 10 minute walk is just dumb. The venue is all wrong for this type of show but that is just my opinion. It was cool to see the Canadian Forces setup and that was the type of 50cal rifle that the Canadian sniper made the 2.4km shot to kill a Taliban fighter with an American teflon coated bullet (he ended up leaving the Forces over the crap he got into for using American ammunition, our snipers were sent over with very little or no ammo and had to borrow from our allies there). Go figure. I've heard stories of patrols going out with only 10 rounds of 50cal per machine gun or having none at all. It goes to show the commitment and dedication our troops have and I am proud of them, however our government and top echelons of the forces need to address some of these supply problems. We have been in Afganistan for years now, these types of problems should not be happening. I'm not trying to highjack this thread but I am venting.

As for deals, I picked up a Barbie fishing rod with the handle that lights up for my youngest for $12.63from LeBaron's which was an incredible price compared to the $20 another retailer wanted. For myself, I picked up a Nautilus manual inflatable PFD for $99 from Lakeview Marine. They purchased a huge amount earlier this year and have been blowing them out. They also had props on for $65 from a discontinued line and I'm going to do some homework on that one to see if it would be worth it.

I saw the new GLoomis Walleye GLX rod and fell in love, what a sweet rod but for $399, I can't justify it. Maybe one day when I grow up.

i was fine with paying the high price to get into the show and even bought some very over priced food. but what really pissed me off was paying $17 to park for 5 hours. like i've always said...there is NOTHING good about the garbage pit we all know as toronto. the location was horrible and who the heck wants to walk around that much to see everything?

i picked up a couple rods, a waterproof barrel for boating/canoeing, and a few lures. it was quite pathetic when a couple different dealers wouldnt even take $5 less for the $30 barrel that likely cost them $15 or $6 off a $70 rod so i wouldnt have to carry change. :rolleyes:

this was the last chance for the show to put a smile on my face and they really blew it. my money will never go to that money grab show again and i could care less if they stopped doing it.

OH YEAH DAD nice rod and reel its a steel for $400 i cant belive it, mine was $100 and yours is $400 nice deal and not to mention ax 720. its good until i break like the others i have to manged to do so. i will not even think abou trying it because my BPS MEGA CAST rod is just fine. I love my BPS brand but you can have that until it goes for a swim.

Well, Since the show was at the new location, I had decided to give it another shot. My Wife and I met up with our Daughter and Son-in-Law to spend the afternoon there.

In my opinion, there was a very small amount of show spread out over a very wide area to make it look bigger! We watched the dogs do their show for a bit and wandered through the booths. I bought a few packs of soft plastics and flipping jigs that I didn't really need, and my Wife bought some Croc shoes she had been looking for.

It was a good afternoon with family, but I can think of other places to do this in the future. It is off my list and I won't be back. The $17.00 enty fee is just nuts when you look at the lack of entertainment value.

"You can almost hear the beaver pooping." ?????

its his form of humor .. pretty sad really

Sorry for not clearing this up sooner guys.

My original response was due to the fact that in a thread where the question was "What deals did you find at the show?" Bernie66's response (I thought) attempted to make everyone that did go to the show look like a dope for throwing away their money.

The beaver pooping thing is regarding the saying that someone is "so cheap, that they would squeeze a nickel till the beaver craps"

I responded this way because I thought that Brifishrgy's post was along the same lines as Bernie66. Indicating that he had made a wiser use of his money than those that went to the show.

Perhaps it was another one of those times when it would have been better with nothing said.

Here is my form of humor in reply.

It's probably the same pooping beaver he wacks is little balls at those few times a month when she is in heat LOL!!!

Anyone that would type LOL after a line of complete drivel like that shouldn't be commenting on anyone else's humour. Use your $48 to hire a writer.

Are we done now?

I took the wife and my 3 kids.Cost 54 dollars for a whole days entertainment for a family of 5.Can't really do much for that.Cheaper than taking them to a movie and much better to learn more about something REAL than the fantasy land of blue creatures. The kids really liked the dog trials.We took our own snacks so spent no money on food or drinks.The only complaint I have is for the some of the vendors.When the show says it closes at 6:00pm you shouldn't be packing all your stuff up at 4:00pm.I went to a vendor (who I think advertises on here so no names) to make a big purchase over $600.00 and they were too busy packing up to be bothered to sell to me.Really no a big deal as I can buy it somewere else but still if your open till 6pm it means 6pm.

All in all a good day for us.

Sorry for not clearing this up sooner guys.

My original response was due to the fact that in a thread where the question was "What deals did you find at the show?" Bernie66's response (I thought) attempted to make everyone that did go to the show look like a dope for throwing away their money.

The beaver pooping thing is regarding the saying that someone is "so cheap, that they would squeeze a nickel till the beaver craps"

I responded this way because I thought that Brifishrgy's post was along the same lines as Bernie66. Indicating that he had made a wiser use of his money than those that went to the show.

Perhaps it was another one of those times when it would have been better with nothing said.

Anyone that would type LOL after a line of complete drivel like that shouldn't be commenting on anyone else's humour. Use your $48 to hire a writer.

Are we done now?

"I can almost hear the beaver pooping". An asinine comment that needs to be explained for others to get what it means. What is it? Some kind of red neck trailer park made up slang. My comment was a nasty personal attack at you and if you don't get it, I can pm you. This IS a family site.

Next time if you have nothing good to said SHUT YOUR TRAP. This is an open forum and my post merely expressed my opinion that the shows are no longer like they were in the old days. Many others share my sentiments.

Hey Radnine, one last thing, THIS IS A SMALL WORLD!

Good for you Radnine.

I went to the show, TTC'd it after 5, 'cause I live midtown, got some deals on the Powerpro, met some friends, saw some great gear, bought a few lures, and then went home happy. I don't go to the shops that often, so it was prefect for me.

More to the point, I have no problem in supporting the independent businesses that make this thing possible.

I don't want something for nothing, because I know these guys paid for it, and although nothing pisses me off more than paying 10 bucks for a beer at a Jays game, the JB's and Grimsby Tackles of the world are fine by me, because they invested in the show and took a gamble, and I hope it paid off. Good for them.

See you at the show next year,

Chris

Good for you Radnine.

I went to the show, TTC'd it after 5, 'cause I live midtown, got some deals on the Powerpro, met some friends, saw some great gear, bought a few lures, and then went home happy. I don't go to the shops that often, so it was prefect for me.

More to the point, I have no problem in supporting the independent businesses that make this thing possible.

I don't want something for nothing, because I know these guys paid for it, and although nothing pisses me off more than paying 10 bucks for a beer at a Jays game, the JB's and Grimsby Tackles of the world are fine by me, because they invested in the show and took a gamble, and I hope it paid off. Good for them.

See you at the show next year,

Chris

So you paid $5 to get in instead of the full $17. Saved a few bucks. Good for you. For those that don't shop often, it's a good way to get to all the local retailers all in one shot.

So you paid $5 to get in instead of the full $17. Saved a few bucks. Good for you. For those that don't shop often, it's a good way to get to all the local retailers all in one shot.

No question, $17 isn't cheap, but probably no more than it would take in gas, less the driving time of course, to go 'round and see all these guys, which none of us are likely to do on a Saturday afternoon.

I went over Wed to see how the new place looked. WOW much brighter, I think there were a few less tackle sellers but it could have been just due to the size.

The Canadian Forces both was THE BEST!! how often do you get to see a Mark 46 torpeedo !! and a sniper rifle at the same time.

I have been in the market for a new fish finder, picked up the HD7 + Gold maps for 1350 after taxes from Radio World.. sorry BassPro you need to update your prices in-line with the CDN $$$

Radio world had the best price that I could find anywhere. Cheaper than even the Online cost.

Also met fellow OFNER Henry Nguyen at the Legend boats.. man after showing me the new models I think I have to start saving my pennies for an upgrade. Don't you hate sales people that show you want you want to see@!!

it was good to see you Lexxington and i'm still not sorry for showing you our 2010 models lol.

yes i do agree that the admission price was a little steep.