Transom holes

HTHM

I just de-rigged my blown Yamaha as was wondering what I should do to the transom holes as they are going to be open for a couple months. I was thinking that i should fill them with epoxy and/or drill them larger and put in pvc bushings. Any advice???

I'm with Hirk.. leave 'em.

But.... a whacky thought came to mind if you feel like messing with it.

Tape over the hole on the outside of the transom. On the inside, tape over 3/4 of the hole and fill the cavity with rice. Rice will draw moisture out of the transom!

Tape over the hole on the outside of the transom. On the inside, tape over 3/4 of the hole and fill the cavity with rice. Rice will draw moisture out of the transom!

Great minds etc. Except I hadn't thought of the rice. I was still trying to think of something that would absorb the water. Rice is good.

JF

In my opinion as a boat expert, the rice will absorb the water and expand and the transom will break off entirely :huh:

Jim

Just tape them over and it will be fine, if you really are concerned fill them with silicone which can easily be removed after without damaging the holes.

Never drill out your existing transom holes and never use bushings since they will wear quickly and give the motor movement which will eventually lead to oval holes. Once that happens you will be in more trouble than if you ever got a bit of moisture in them to begin with.

If you are super worried, get a small can or spar varnish and a small brush and coat the exposed wood. That will prevent any moisture from entering.

JP

Just tape them over and it will be fine, if you really are concerned fill them with silicone which can easily be removed after without damaging the holes.

Never drill out your existing transom holes and never use bushings since they will wear quickly and give the motor movement which will eventually lead to oval holes. Once that happens you will be in more trouble than if you ever got a bit of moisture in them to begin with.

If you are super worried, get a small can or spar varnish and a small brush and coat the exposed wood. That will prevent any moisture from entering.

JP

I am not super worried, I am HYPER worried. I have one hole that is a little bit oval now, and do not want to make it get worse by negleting it

In my opinion as a boat expert, the rice will absorb the water and expand and the transom will break off entirely :huh:

Jim

LMAO!!! If the transom 'breaks off entirely' before the tape peels off, I think Albert would thank me for that suggestion and rid himself of theat boat.

Never underestimate the power of rice :rolleyes:

LMAO!!! If the transom 'breaks off entirely' before the tape peels off, I think Albert would thank me for that suggestion and rid himself of theat boat.

Never underestimate the power of rice :rolleyes:

Remember your high school geography, how many of our lakes and indeed our very land formations were created by retreating rice during the rice age.

Albert, when that transom falls off you will feel like a right rice hole.

Jim

I just de-rigged my blown Yamaha as was wondering what I should do to the transom holes as they are going to be open for a couple months. I was thinking that i should fill them with epoxy and/or drill them larger and put in pvc bushings. Any advice???

Albert, if you decide to rebush the holes,use the right stuff for sealant.Its a little pricey but well worth it.If you need brass or sealant come by,Im sure I can help you out.Ill rummage through my stuff again.Another clean up is due.

Remember your high school geography, how many of our lakes and indeed our very land formations were created by retreating rice during the rice age.

Albert, when that transom falls off you will feel like a right rice hole.

Jim

Since you're up on geo/ecological issues, do you mind explaining how aerosol cans are destroying the earth's calzone?