GPS lost underwater

IndySKS

Would a GPS dropped into the lake (turned on ) be worth recovering ? Would the card in it be any good or any of the data be salvageable ?

A buddy dropped his down the hole this weekend into 29 feet of water, just wondering if it's worth going after once the water softens up? He was more upset about the card that was in it than the GPS it's self.

and before any one asks yes we have it's location marked on my GPS and we have dive capabilities, just wondering if it's worth going for.

What brand and model was it. Most are dry nitrogen filled(and some float), the SD card slot would be the only issue. But that would only provide the water access to the contacts of the SD card. The Battery compartments on most GPS units(including mine) have a seal to prevent water from invading for a certain amount of depth. Have him check his manual, or go online to find it out. The batteries will short out really fast, but the unit might not suffer any damage.

If you do retreive it, do what people do with cell phones that go to the depths, bury them in rice. It absorbs water. Leave it in there for a week. Remove the SD card and battery(s) before doing so, and DO NOT TRY TO TURN IT ON. Can't hurt, but still may not help. A bud of mines daughter dropped hers into a full jug of draft beer. He was able to recover pics off of the compact flash card, but the camera did not survive because she did try to turn it on after the dunking. It would power up, but the display was toast.

if it went into simcoe then the fish will be able to find it with my glasses.

then they can navigate the whole lake with it.

throw the manual down with it so they can make way points as to where the best bait is...

sorry ----

i hope you guys get it back and it still works.

and if you happen to see a couple of pairs of glasses too, let me know would ya...

and the lure that tracker threw down the hole to show me how it flutters----but forgot to tie it on to his line first :wallbash:

if your asking me---yes

to a pair of glasses and to trackers lure--lol

the other pair is in gilford--lol

i was referring to the GPS unit. we were up there on friday and spotted something standing straight up. both of us were too lazy to drill another hole and get a closer look with the camera...lol. plus we figured any electronics would be pooched in 40ft of water and at least a 1 hour soak.

we figured it was either a flip phone that was open or a GPS.

Thanks for all the input I have passed on the idea of underwater camera and hook, I had no idea that so much stuff was lost down holes. Btw it wasn't on Simcoe it was on Nippissing. It does sound like a weekend adventure once the water warms up.