Musky "Must-Have's"...

rbaquial

Hey Folks,

I'm heading up to VANCE's RESORT up north in a couple months time, and I more specifically want to target MUSKY while I'm up there. (Going on the 1st week of June).

I've never caught a MUSKY before, but I'm sure as damn hell determined to...

My question to you MUSKY FISHERMAN is...

What would be your TOP-5 MUSKY "MUST-HAVE" BAITS/LURES when targeting MUSKIES?

If you can, can you include PICTURES of the LURES/BAITS... Most of us haven't heard of all the popular "Musky" baits out there...

Thanks in advance to those whom have contributed...

A2F (RoB)

PS: Are there any TIPS anyone can provide in terms of heading to VANCE's RESORT?

**I'm not looking for any special spots by any means... just tips, like... What should I bring (fishing wise)... etc...**

THANKS AGAIN!!

"Must have's".. before the baits and lures..... a net that is capable of being used as a holding pen. Release tools.. hook cutters, pliers etc.

Yep, handling a big Muskie safely requires some specialized gear and skill...

1-In-line spinner aka Bucktail

2-Muskie sized spinnerbait

3-10" Jake (trolling)

4 10" Believer (trolling)

5-Topwater lure (Topraider, Jackpot,etc)

First of the season I have always been a big believer of down sizing your baits. The new Rapala Glide baits were very effective for me last year on opening weekend. A slow presentation does wonders on big fish. The smaller of the big tube jigs with little amount of weight, almost like being suspended over top of the fresh emergent weed. Sandy Bays will also be "hot spots" for my first choice of targeting Muskie in the beginning of the season.

Cheers, Ron...

First of the season I have always been a big believer of down sizing your baits. The new Rapala Glide baits were very effective for me last year on opening weekend. A slow presentation does wonders on big fish. The smaller of the big tube jigs with little amount of weight, almost like being suspended over top of the fresh emergent weed. Sandy Bays will also be "hot spots" for my first choice of targeting Muskie in the beginning of the season.

Cheers, Ron...

Good advice Ron.. The earlier the season the smaller the bait.

Most of the time anyways..

Check the regs. I don't think Musky is open the first week of June up on the Spanish River. I think the season opens the 3rd Saturday of June. If they aren't open, don't worry, I'm sure the walleye and pike will keep you busy.

First, pretty sure the musky season won't have opened yet.

Must haves.... mepps musky marabou - good for early season, not too big and can be fished slow (for a bucktail) and proper release tools....especially bolt cutters. I use them for fishing all species now.

Sounds like it borders 10 and 14 (and Muskie are closed ALL year in the boat accessible area of 10 from Vances)

Right from their own website.... ya might wanna rethink the trip?

Muskie Season: Division 10 - Spanish River-Muskellunge closed all year (this is up-river of Vances Resort) ....boundary posts are clearly marked where this zone begins ENE of Vances'.

Division 14 - Spanish River Delta and North Channel of Lake Huron- - Open 3rd Saturday in June to December 15th ...(this encompasses Vances' Resort and downriver to the North Channel).

Catch, Possession, and size Limits:

Division 10 - Muskellunge closed all year

Division 14 - Sport License - one (1) in one day, both catch and possession, minimum size 137cm (54 Inches. Conservation License - zero (0)

Edited by irishfield

Sounds like it borders 10 and 14 (and Muskie are closed ALL year in the boat accessible area of 10 from Vances)

Right from their own website.... ya might wanna rethink the trip?

Big pike hit the same things.

But as the list of things to bring, bunch of different sized mepps, sub surface baits like mantas or believers, top waters (props or jackpots), and a couple large cranks. Ask about bringing your own large gaff hook or net too, some places aren't always equipped.

Please do not take a gaf musky fishing.

A big sturdy net, mini bolt cutters, long needle nose pliers or hook doctor. Early season usually means smaller baits and slower baits as some have already pointed out. Save the topwaters and larger trolling baits for later in the season

1. 6" slamo skinner

2. XR-12 or 14 Xrap

3. 6" soft bodied swim baits or tubes

4. Smaller Bucktails like mepps musky killer or maribou, showgirls, smallest cowgirls, little darlin' from dadson blade baits

5. Spinnerbaits, even bass sized ones get a lot of attention early in the season.

Don't listen to him! How do you seriously expect to get a muskie into a BECKMAN NET (make sure to ask the lodge if they have GOOD nets, you'd be surprised) if you cant manipulate its body in there yourself? Most of the fish swim away anyways, its just a little poke. But NEVER gaff around the gills, that's just plain unsporting.

I bought my gaff through Cabelas, just look in the saltwater section. I opted for the 4'' hook, with a 4' handle, but if I had to do it again, I would go for the one with the 5' handle to get even the most cautious figure 8'ers who know to stay back a bit (haha got those gals once or twice before). I usually get my figure 8'ers on the larger believers in Jailbird colour, although if the water is still going to be cold, go for the smaller size and possibly a more neutral colour. Also, you cant go wrong with Mepps 5's in natural for those cold front days, and even a Mepps 3 if you're feeling enough confidence to throw such a small lure. And yes, combined I've probably caught and seen well over 45-60 36-48'' muskies caught on #3's alone in a season.

Also another thing you can try doing is calling your lodge and asking them for detailed lure names, sizes, and colours. Or if they cant give you good info, try a couple of the lodges around there and telling them that you are considering them and have it about 95% talked over with the wife, and now you just need a lure shopping list for the meanwhile. That way they'll give out last years top producers unknowingly and honestly, and you might also be trying out new things on the water you're going to, its a win-win.

Guest steel'n'esox

Cheers, Ron...

Ron: I cant believe you said believer in a positive way, very uncharictoristic of you, perch getting to you

1st must have - the regulations :rolleyes:

2nd - ignore anything xeon has to say.

3rd - try reading this - a few basics about muskie fishn.

4th - read this - learn about catch & release

5th - put in a lot of time, dollars and effort.

Strawberry weighted Sledge and a Double "D" repainted with a spray bomb in Bumblebee are 2 of my go-to baits that always produce.

Cnv0188.jpg

Boo-tails always work well too. The one on the left is what they look like new and on the right how they look after many many fish have chomped on them.

Cnv0186.jpg

Believers & Jakes for trolling and a big old #950 Grim Reaper in orange and black for cranking down thru the weeds.

I think the gaf is to swing at anyone that shows up from Muskies Canada ;)

The two times that I have had a muskie on have both been when they grabbed 1/2 to 3/4 lb. smallies that I was trying to land. That should tell you something.

Good luck!

Edited by Radnine

There are some nice nets out there. Frabil makes some nice ones. Musky might look big, mean and tough, but they are wimps, you have to take care of em' if you want them to survive. Come guys even unhook all of their smaller fish that aren't hooked weel right in the water, not net, just unhook and she swims away. I haven't caught enough to get to that oint yet, but I feel i will. Tkae rafs advice, he has given me plenty of pointers, serious musky hunter.

Yes Muskies love eating smallies and walleye's right off your line, pike too, greddy buggers.LOL

Lew I like those D's, nice paint jobs!

Here are some random ideas to think about:

-Adjust your expectations according to the water you're fishing in.

-For every ten prople who give you pro advice on muskie fishing, maybe two of them will have a solid basis in fact, based on personal experience and long hours, invested intensly. There are more musky internet experts than there are muskie on earth. So far on this thread there have only been three (3) respondants who I've ever seen hold a fish over 40 inches. Been lucky enough to fish with two of 'em. Muskie experts are a dime a dozen. The guys who fish a lot, do well and specialize in muskie are a lot fewer and farther between. People who tell you that 'heavy tackle is overkill' etc etc etc are guys who have not done much muskie fishing, and consider the source when you read their advice column. It's just that simple. Talk is very cheap. And in the age of the Internet, it's free.....$0.

-Learn one or two lakes in intimate detail. Famliarity breeds success.

-Learn three or four styles of lures in intimalte detail. Familiarity breeds success.

-Fish for muskie a lot. Get into the boat with people who fish for muskie a lot. Never pass up a chance to fish with someone who fishes muskie a lot. Lots of them won't be found posting the same 32" fish on 17 different English-speaking fishing boards Monday mornings all summer. Lots of the top guys are never online. If you talk to enough people near where you fish, I can almost promise you the top guys don't have an account, or post very infrequently. You'll learn more in four hours in the boat with a good fisherman than you will in a decade of media. Idon't think there's any arguing this one.

-If you have the option for a heavier outfit, buy this one instead of the lighter one.

-The trend in muskie rods right now is long. We use 8-9 footers exclusively. As a result, there are great deals on shorter rods (7 to 8') that guys are dumping following the trends. The long rod trend is a good one, though. Check used boards for great deals on good gear.

-The trend in reels is big and fast. Same as rods, great deals on reels that people are dumping following the trends. Great gear that has fallen out of vogue is all over the swap boards these days. I'm sure the economy and how it affects people's hobbies plays into this heavily, too.

-Handle fish fast, work as a team, cut hooks, one good pic and get them back.

-All-rubber and hard+rubber hybrid lures are good. Jerkbaits, skirts, soft tails on hard lures. They all work pretty well.

-Learn to make a few basic styles of lures. Spinners are easiest. It's fun as hell and you will catch fish on them.

-Learn to paint a few basic patterns, too. And learn to modifty, repair and salvage good lures. Either back on land or in the boat.

-Use the gear that you like and have had success with. Make sure it's strong and well-maintained. As long as you're using gear in the 'muskie weight class' and it works for you, ignore all the Bull about 'fluro vs. wire' or 'Shimano vs. Garcia; or 'Ranger vs. Lund.' It's all secondary noise.

-TAKE SOMEBODY OUT IN THE BOAT WITH YOU TO CATCH THEIR FIRST MUSKIE, OR SEE THEIR FIRST MUSKIE FOLLOW/BLOW-UP/CATCH.

You'll learn more in four hours in the boat with a good fisherman than you will in a decade of media. Idon't think there's any arguing this one.

Amen!

Largest Muskie I ever saw tried to eat my minn kota trolling motor, hit it so hard it rocked the boat, then she stayed, staring at it. I hit the power, she crushed it again. So I'll go with that for my #1

If LipDip is the ole "icing 'appen when da puck" dude, then him, Raf, Ron and Lewskie would probably agree it is more knowing the why, when, where they are, then the lure to catch'em.

Edited by Harrison